Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Bali Jimbaran Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 4:16 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Booked a club duplex (the room that has no AMB upgrades) for a stay later this year.

Tacked on a Chase Free Award Night for the last night.

They sent me a reply to my email saying they were charging me $50 to keep me in the Club Duplex and give us Club Privileges for the CFN.

I've done this quite a few times and I don't think they had ever charged me to keep me in the same room the last night.

Oh well....$50 is still a great deal.

Also told me they will give 10k points or $50 resort credit for not upgrading me as I already booked the highest room category for AMB's to get upgraded from.
HadesNL likes this.

Last edited by 355F1; Jun 9, 2022 at 10:48 pm
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
50$ is a moderate amount compared to what they would have asked pre-Covid. I'd be happy with that though in the light of having to give 50$ or 10k points as well, seems a bit of a back and forth, but fine.

I guess 50$ cash extra goes to one bucket (and KPI) and the 10k points or 50$ compensation come out of another.
355F1 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Still I don't really get what's the motivation for the hotel to give 10K points or $ 50,00 credit rather then an upgrade. Can imagine they can not guarentee the upgrade, but if it's empty otherwise: what's the point?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:50 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jongesander
Still I don't really get what's the motivation for the hotel to give 10K points or $ 50,00 credit rather then an upgrade. Can imagine they can not guarentee the upgrade, but if it's empty otherwise: what's the point?

I booked the highest level of room that isn’t one of their special suites.

They do not upgrade from this level of room to their special suites.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
I booked the highest level of room that isn’t one of their special suites.

They do not upgrade from this level of room to their special suites.
Oh yes, I perfectly understand your situation. A couple of posts more early in this thread I reported the same.

But, from the perspective of the hotel I don't really get it. I do understand that 10/K points or $ 50,00 F&B is peanuts for the hotel, but upgrading people (especially if they are brand AND hotel loyal) makes more sense if the room remains empty otherwise. The specialty suites (except for the villa) are not that crazy over the top, right? Also the cost for cleaning is not a real issue here.

Well probably the only goal is to prevent the kanabalizing effect wich may occur.
cln likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They don't have that many specialty suites IIRC. Balinese used to be 2 pre reno. Then 4 Uluwatu, 4 Jimbaran (now called smth else), 4 Bukit, now also got Pecatu (can't recall what that was before or created from regular rooms, size same as Bukit at 152sqm) and two villas.

I think they also created the new Club Suite above Club Duplex which is one level and may be similar to what used to be Classic suites.

If they are empty, yes I get the point and they may still upgrade someone. Especially for shorter stays one may get lucky. Longer stays less so as they'll likely try to sell it still or at least upcharge. YMMV
HadesNL, 355F1 and jongesander like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:52 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by demue
They don't have that many specialty suites IIRC. Balinese used to be 2 pre reno. Then 4 Uluwatu, 4 Jimbaran (now called smth else), 4 Bukit, now also got Pecatu (can't recall what that was before or created from regular rooms, size same as Bukit at 152sqm) and two villas.

I think they also created the new Club Suite above Club Duplex which is one level and may be similar to what used to be Classic suites.

If they are empty, yes I get the point and they may still upgrade someone. Especially for shorter stays one may get lucky. Longer stays less so as they'll likely try to sell it still or at least upcharge. YMMV
This is what I am hoping for. Nobody really knows if travel will be super busy in September....and I have stayed at this hotel probably 7 times since 2016 so they know I am loyal.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:43 am

We have stayed there maybe 20-25 times and still they played games with our Imperial Villa booking (at an admittedly very good rate) and told me it's going to be renovated (may have been the plan back then, not saying they lied) and not available for our Summer 2022 stay.

The recourse offer was a Club room (don't laugh, they were serious) and that at not even a great rate. Erm, offering us one Club room versus having a confirmed 2-Bedroom Villa booking? This was an utter joke.
​​​
WIth some wrangling we landed on a good compromise (suite, good rate) that I'm fine with, but guess what, the Imperial Villa is back for sale for our exact dates for 2.9k USD a night + 21%. Did any one reach out again? Of course not, haha. So much for caring about long term loyal guests.

Back to the upgrade topic, at the moment they seem to be just setting expectations that no upgrade will be forthcoming so people don't get surprised and realize that only after arrival. Fair enough. Good luck though, but if a possible suite upsell or straight out booking can yield more than 1x $50 forces compensation for what could be a several day long stay period then $$$ will win over loyalty I think .
HadesNL and jongesander like this.

Last edited by demue; Jun 11, 2022 at 1:06 am
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:49 am

There also is an interesting development going on with the evening cocktails.

Previously you could enjoy the evening cocktails also at the Sunset Bar. That was cut back in 2019, but there was a section next to the beach where they setup the evening cocktail and serve some canapés.

In a recent e-mail conversation they told me it's now evening cocktails at the Club Lounge OR at the Club Pool. The most strange point is: we can not visit the Club Pool with our daughter (don't get me wrong, I do understand that), but during the evening cocktail we can not visit the Club Lounge with her but can enjoy evening cocktails at the Club Pool and bring our daughter. In the email they stated that they would make an exception for us and we can have evening cocktails at the Sunset Bar, wich is nice.

Also the Bella Cucina renovation is now finished.
​​​​
demue and HadesNL like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 7:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
jongesander : thanks for this update
Club happy hour at the sunset bar was always a nice stop before dinner time.
Hope you are enjoying your time in Bali.

Could you let us know if the minibar is restocked again....
(sorry that is typical curiosity of RA-behaviour

demue : i envy you for your patience in dealing with such dry attempt for substituting the villa!
It really doesnt deserve the beauty mark for handling such delicate matters

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 11, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:46 pm

Thanks HadesNL - to be honest, over the years I have seen this particular hotel load some interesting rates that didn't always make sense. E.g. Club rooms below the old Singaraja level, best flex rates lower than advance purchase, specific specialty suite below Club room etc.

For this case, those were Covid rates when any travel was domestic guests in Indonesia at best, just that they had loaded them well into 2022. So I booked the rate, fully expecting it to be "trouble" down the road and the hotel trying to wiggle out of it later.

The only thing that surprised me a bit (or maybe actually it shouldn't have) was that they had a non-empowered reservation agent reach out to a customer in such a somewhat delicate case and make a totally embarrassing offer that was borderline insulting.

In such circumstances have at least the Director of Sales / Reservations/ Rooms or the Resort Manager (one level below GM at this hotel) or so reach out, explain without "dressing it up too much" and offer something realistic that can pass as compromise and resemble some sort of a win win for both parties.

No, that didn't happen outright. To be fair, after I pushed back and roped the then GM into it (think the position is still only filled with interim person) things relatively quickly moved into the right direction were we both could feel decent about it, but in the end if the villa remains empty, it was a bit of a silly exercise. Now admittedly, the problem would not have been just my booking as there were others as well I'm sure, so even more reason to come up with a decent proposal in the first place instead of a rubbish one.

I'm fine with what I worked out, but owning their decisions and potential mistakes is not really a strong suit of the entire hospitality industry IMHO .

Last edited by demue; Jun 11, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Reading some comments here about the hotel gives me some cause for concern. My first visit was 2003 and since then I have experienced fabulous service and seen things slowly deteriorate.

Club evening cocktails were at the sunset bar and them moved to a club only, but rather down market set up, further along the beach. I never did understand why it was not made into an aspirational space that guest would have wanted to be part of.

Evening drinks and canapés at the club pool were fine for families and yes children under 12 could attend this. Mine did as they were not allowed in the club itself.

My last visit in 2019 and was lovely but it was clear that there was a focus on cutting back. I was on a points plus cash upgrade which was still good value, especially for a family of 4 adults. At the the time however club rooms for the following year we’re starting at $500 plus plus and I spoke the then GM about how out of touch that was. He was unmoved but we then know what happened.

I am going back in late July early August with my wife as my kids are no longer kids. I am going for two reasons. Firstly I got an astounding airfare out of Paris in J and then a points upgrade to F for summer 2020, which was rolled over. Even better, BA then cancelled the HKG services and so I am now on Qatar Airways. Secondly, like others I booked the hotel when prices were low and have, what looks like a great deal.

Despite this, I can still see the cut backs such as no airport transfers.

My correspondence with the hotel suggest Ku remains closed which would be a big disappointment and if evening cocktails have be further reduced, that too would be disappointing.

The issue with returning to a place is that you see and feel these changes. Again I have said this to the hotel over my most recent visits. This is particularly true for European guests who stay for 2 weeks, While others stay for 3-4 nights. In 2019 the average stay was just 3 nights (confirmed by the resort manager at the time) and such customers don’t pay club rates nor eat in the hotel.

I remain excited to be returning but under no illusions. I expect gracious service, a great room, fabulous breakfast and relaxing environment. Beyond that not much added value. Services will be paired back or non existent, with KU likely to still be closed and other services curtailed. I know if I set my expectations at that level I will have a great time.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:14 am

I forgot to mention another cutback. Previously, soft drinks, coffee and tea was included at the Club Pool. Now it looks like only coffee and tea.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
It seems happy days are back:
https://milelion.com/2022/06/12/indo...e-requirement/
Now waiting for the offical communicé.....
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by jongesander
I forgot to mention another cutback. Previously, soft drinks, coffee and tea was included at the Club Pool. Now it looks like only coffee and tea.
Haha, that would not surprise me though it'd be a sad development. Meaning one would have to go to the Club Lounge to get a fresh juice or other non-alcoholic drink?

A bit silly if so, I'd agree. Throw hassles at your "premium paying" Club customers to save a few $$$ as one won't go to the lounge in swimwear when spending time at the club pool. Oh well, we'll see I guess.

With rates quickly going up to prior heights, the hotel will have to tread lightly to not overplay the strong hand they seem to think they have. When you move into 400+ USD a night Club room territory and starting 600 USD ++ specialty suites up to 1000 USD you get so many alternative options that often can mean a full private (1 bdrm) villa with own pool and such even at international resorts, not just local hotels and resorts.
355F1, minz56 and jongesander like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.