Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Rome Ambasciatori Palace (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:52 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Spent 4 nights here recently on a points reservation made during last year's award fire sale (27k points/night). Excellent value at that points level of course, but regular rates were eye-watering -- €1088 a night for the base room (Classic).

As Diamond/Amb, we were assigned a King Premium Via Veneto room. These range from 30-40sqm per the web site; ours felt on the larger side (from the floor plan, no two rooms were alike on our floor). The room was of course brand spanking new and decor quite beautiful, but there were some major issues. Most importantly, the shower is a nightmare. The door opens the opens outward, in the wrong direction, and there's no lip seal that keeps the water in. The result is major flooding every time you take a shower -- super annoying, as a small lake forms on the bathroom floor, and in our case even out into the hallway. It boggles the mind that they spent tens of millions on refurbishment, yet made such a dumb mistake. Water also didn't get very hot, so we pretty much dreaded taking showers there. The mattress was just ok and indeed covered in a mattress protector, which caused fairly uncomfortable sleep. Aside from these issues, some minor kinks like safe not working, fire alarm went off a couple times (plus they had testing when we departed), keycard stopped working a few times. Room doesn't have a workdesk, and the tiny round table isn't comfortable for sitting with a laptop for more than a few minutes. View from the room is pretty limited (a tree) -- I would have loved a balcony, and found myself wishing I was in one of the high-floor rooms of the old IC, which had great views.

In terms of benefits, we had a bottle of sparkling wine/cookies/chocolate waiting upon arrival, but we didn't get the benefit Tilto007 describes ($50 per day/$200 maximum) -- that's a RA, not Amb thing, so you either have higher status than you said in your post (Amb) or they accidentally gave you the RA benefit. We had daily breakfast in the restaurant. Pleasant space, friendly service, ok food. You can order from the menu (egg dishes, even somewhat sophisticates ones like various eggs benedict) and/or pick from the buffet. There's an ok selection of hot items (eggs, bacon, sausages, etc), however, there usually were no more than 2-3 tables occupied, so the food looked pretty stale and wasn't very appetizing. Baked goods (cakes, pastries) were perhaps the best aspect of the buffet, and there was a good selection of smoked fish (salmon, tuna, swordfish), some mortadella, turkey, salami. Obviously, pretty sweet as a Diamond benefit, but I'd be pretty diappointed if I paid €49 a person for this buffet.

We had drinks at the rooftop bar a few times. Good drinks (€21-25), delicious ice cream sandwich (€15). The view is nice, seating comfortable, and it wasn't busy when we were there. I sorta wished they'd put a rooftop pool here instead (or in addition), but I'm sure they were more interested in the extra revenue from the bar. There's also a bar in the lobby, but we didn't try. Got €15 credit as Amb benefit; couldn't apply the milestone F&B credits.

On our last day, requested late checkout and (like tomsdiner1 above) were told they could only do 1pm because they don't have a lot of rooms and somebody else is checking in at 3pm. I had intended to leave at 1:30pm, so not a big deal for us, but if they keep this up, somebody will have to stand up and get them to adhere to the rules.

Overall, I'd say, pretty decent hard product (if they fix the shower), some minor (but fixable) problems with breakfast, and staff ranging from super nice to standoffish. Don't see myself coming back at €1000 or 100k+ points a night, but it certainly isn't a bad thing to have the option of staying at an IC in Rome.

Room:

Breakfast:

Rooftop bar:

Dark hallways:
Old Jun 13, 2023, 1:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Thanks for reporting, it looks interesting......
but oomph,
a lukewarm shower....
if this is the state now,
how will things go for suites and such ....

pretty cool you had the flash sale redemption,
€ 1000 is steep, for that amount i expect a glimpse back to
Imperial Rome to Augustus & Livia

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 13, 2023 at 1:10 pm
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:50 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Agree as well that the current room rates asked are very steep and not worth it in my book. I'd hope it settles at more reasonable levels over time.

Teething issues are to be expected (the shower part is really poor design) and I hope they'll address them rather soon. For now not rushing to Rome to stay there .

Last edited by demue; Jun 15, 2023 at 5:16 am
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:26 am

Programs: Avios
Checking out now from 4 day points stay

Very nice stay , with a few caveats.The room was great and we did not have the bathroom flooding issues but enough people have mentioned this to make me certain this is an issue in certain rooms.Our TV worked intermittently, we checked in with CNN , BBC. And Sky channels working fine . We lost a channel a day to end up with none working by the time we checked out?? Buffet breakfast was fine . I would agree that the value proposition at the current rates (950 euro) is not good but we did pay with points (40,000 nightly) and at that did represent very good value. Staff was very good and I would happily stay here again at more cash reasonable rates.Location was very good and we walked to Trevi Fountain and
many other famous Roman landmarks easily. I also want to add that the restaurant Scarpetta was good and quite reasonable and we ate there most nights.
jpdx likes this.

Last edited by Tilto007; Jun 14, 2023 at 12:38 am
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:04 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

To be fair, room rates were nuts throughout Rome. The nearby W was also over €1000, Westin and Sina Bernini close to €800, the crappy Le Meridien €450, Crowne Plaza €250; heck, you'd have to venture out to the GRA Marriott if you wanted anything close to €150. This seems to be an ongoing problem this summer, checking some random dates for Rome, and indeed all over Europe -- how often do you see IC Paris for less than €600 these days, or try finding something in EDI or LON for less than GBP 250, likely you're looking at a HIX in the suburbs.

I'm not rushing back to Rome anyway, but if rates are within your limits, there's nothing wrong with the IC. They need to address the late checkout issue, and it'll be interesting how upgrades will work out for RA/A/Dia in the long run. Apparently the hotel is quite busy, but it must be mostly tour groups who get whisked away early, because in our four nights, we never encountered more than 2-3 other parties in the breakfast room.

As for the shower, it's a terrible design. Makes you wonder if it was designed by the owner's kid, who had no idea about functional design, but wants to be an architect.

First, in a very narrow bathroom, the door opens toward you, so (a) you can't put a floormat, and (b) you have to wedge yourself into the corner before being able to get into the shower.

The door doesn't shut all the way -- we're just talking a couple mm here, but it's enough to cause flooding of the bathroom floor if you take a 5 minute shower, and out into the hallway if longer.

A month after opening, there's already damage to the bottom of the door, and the flooring in the hallway is beginning to warp:

Really a mega-dumb design, and not easy to fix. Even if by some miracle, they managed to get the door to close properly and have no spillage through that couple mm gap, the water that's on the door would drip on the floor when one gets out of the shower.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: Airlines: NZ, VS, BA; Hotels: Hilton, IHG
Putting the hinges on the other side, and a rubber seal along the bottom should fix most of the issues?
DJ_Iceman and Tilto007 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Gentleman Adventurer
Booking a stay at InterContinental Rome Ambasciatori Palace for October. Do I understand correctly that the hotel does not have a Club Lounge? Anybody have intel on the Suites or Junior Suites?
​​​​​​​No club lounge here.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 3:27 am

Programs: Airlines: NZ, VS, BA; Hotels: Hilton, IHG
Rates look to be slightly better for next spring (~€700), but still a bit on the high side for my liking. Any recent stays with an idea of whether some of the issues have settled down?
Old Nov 17, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
To compliment everyone's excellent photos in this thread,
I would like submit an audiovisual entry by Jim & Val for those of us that are concentrated on sound and movement

Old Nov 17, 2023, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by HadesNL
To compliment everyone's excellent photos in this thread,
I would like submit an audiovisual entry by Jim & Val
You will get soon my detailed review (less sound and more pictures 🤓
demue likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 11:11 am

Val's video shows you what you can get on BOGO/AMB-certificate and type of upgrade for Diamond+AMB

Originally Posted by nicolas75
You will get soon my detailed review
(less sound and more pictures 🤓
I always appreciate the work of the Master!
Bowing to such greatness
nicolas75 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Detailed review of my stay in December 2023

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, fantastic stay.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked One King Classic Cityside and received1 King Junior Suite Via Veneto View

How are the rooms?
Very elegant design..
Around 41 sqm
High ceilings.

Living room with seating area.
Desk

Bedroom with very comfortable bed.

USB sockets next to the bed.

Television with large number of international channels.
Chromecast.
Free PressReader

Lovely marble bathroom with separate walk-in shower
Byredo Bal d’Afrique toiletries.
Heating towel rack

Separate dressing area

View over Via Veneto. Very quiet

Illy espresso coffee machine. Kettle
Very efficient air conditioning/heating system.
Very quiet.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
Superb suite and property
Absolutely great staff
Excellent breakfast
Elegant atmosphere
Excellent restaurant (the lunch menu is a bargain)
Very nice rooftop bar
Central location (10 minutes walk to
The Spanish Steps, 5 minutes to Villa Borghese, 20 minutes walk to Macro Museum). 3 minutes walk to Barberini Metro Station

-Bad
Nothing.

Value for $ or IHG One Rewards Points? Would you return?
Stay was very pleasant indeed. Property and staff are great.
The hotel is not cheap but definitely worth it.
Happy that InterContinental is back in the Italian capital!

Exterior

Lobby

Access to the rooms

Bathroom

Minibar

Coffee station

View from the room

Welcome gift
est-gratuite likes this.

Last edited by nicolas75; Dec 4, 2023 at 10:56 am
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Breakfast, Restaurant, Spa and bars

Breakfast

Lobby bar

Rooftop bar

Spa and fitness centre

Restaurant

​​​​​​​
demue, HadesNL, boracat and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
nicolas75 - I think we were at the hotel at the same time; shame I didn't know and would have been able to say hello. Were you also on the 3rd floor (assuming so given your pictures)?

I've not got much to add to the comments above; this really is a beautiful hotel in a great location and with excellent staff. Dinner at Scarpetta was not cheap but very memorable. I was upgraded (Diamond Ambassador) from King Classic to King Premium with Via Veneto Balcony; pictured below.

King Premium with Balcony
demue, nicolas75, HadesNL and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
RA treatment

Hello all

i I have a weekend here coming up, paid for a 1 king premium via veneto balcony, what is the upgrade path for an RA. Also in the absence of a lounge is there any attempts at substitutions?

thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.