Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by jpdx
I would say there's zero chance that dynamic pricing will work out in our favor in the long run. I fully expect that, once the travel market is back to normal, we will see lots of hotels priced above their "standard" rate. That doesn't mean that there won't still be occasional deals, but I think the time to use IHG points was a week ago (or now, for those who didn't make reservations last week).
Any changes to any program are unlikely to work in the member's favour in the long run. This is true of all programs, not just IHG.

Moral of the story: if you spot a good deal, grab it.

Unfortunately I didn't take my own advice and dilly-dallied. So I'm still stuck with some points, which I will now probably end up burning at $5/1,000 at middle of the road HIs.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BaconSF
See any good deals? Looks like it’s dead
Depends what you mean by a 'good deal' ad IMHO it's certainly not dead but there are still some good offers out there
Example - Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam is normally 55k per night.

Last Monday I got it for 35k per night for a long weekend in May. Checked last night it’s now up to 52.5k so not quite full whack. Cash rates have remained the same.

Easter next year Thursday 1st April 2021 is 30 K points and Friday 2nd and Sat 3rd are 35k and Sunday 4th is 52.5k

I have a cash booking in December and the points rate is average of 33.7k per night. Still pretty good in my book.

There are some mid week nights for January for 27.5k

So not perhaps not the total end of dynamic pricing.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Clearwater Beach

I've spent 4 nights at Clearwater Beach (Florida) twice this summer. Normally 35K , I paid 20K/night during the week with 4th night free and 10% rebate Came out about 14K night.
Also stayed at Klimpton, Sarasota on a sunday night for 15K.
Weekends were more.

Last edited by tassojunior; Jun 22, 2020 at 9:33 am
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Depends what you mean by a 'good deal' ad IMHO it's certainly not dead...
Agreed.
The high end properties may have increased, but some limited service hotels are still half off.
For example, HIE Bishop in the Eastern Sierra is normally 40k. It was still 20k on some dates as of yday.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:31 am
Original Poster

It a computer program. Once the cheaper rates are taken for a certain number the rates go up. Especially weekends. It's worrying if there seems to be evidence IHG uniformly is raising lowest rates. So far we haven't seen gouging rates for special events etc which is the downside of dynmaic pricing. But IHG has always been good at availability for even NYC on New Year's Eve on rewards so maybe.....
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
Originally Posted by italdesign
Agreed.
The high end properties may have increased, but some limited service hotels are still half off.
For example, HIE Bishop in the Eastern Sierra is normally 40k. It was still 20k on some dates as of yday.
Or... It could be IHG members hoarding all high-end properties...
Old Jun 22, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jpdx
...once the travel market is back to normal...
With US infections going up and lots of people simultaneously not giving a toss, we probably don't need to worry about the market recovering any time soon. In fact, I now worry my August booking onward won't materialize because the country will be locked down again. We'll see.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
With US infections going up and lots of people simultaneously not giving a toss, we probably don't need to worry about the market recovering any time soon. In fact, I now worry my August booking onward won't materialize because the country will be locked down again. We'll see.
U.S. will achieve herd immunity in no time.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
U.S. will achieve herd immunity in no time.
l

Right words wrong order. US will achieve no herd immunity.Right now we're under 1/100 of the way to 70% infection. Plus the immunity wears off.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
l

Right words wrong order. US will achieve no herd immunity.Right now we're under 1/100 of the way to 70% infection. Plus the immunity wears off.
If the immunity wears off, then the world is pretty much completely screwed.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN23T1CJ
Old Jun 22, 2020, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
l

While antibodies might decrease, I doubt they disappear completely. And antibodies are just one piece of the defense system regardless. Memory cells will never forget how to rapidly produce antibodies should they come back into contact with the virus. Memory cells don’t go away. I think people are placing too much emphasis on full immunity.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: Alaska
flu vaccination wears off quickly too, yet we live on.

human being just has to learn to live with it.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Aside from market recovery and immunity discussions, the one property where I noticed the former base rate to increase is the Indigo Hakone (Japan). The hotel used to go for 40k points normal rates and during the "dynamic pricing" initial phase was to be had for ~30-35k points depending on the dates.

Now the default has jumped to 50k a night. Now it could be coincidence as IHG has before stealthily increased redemption rates of select properties outside of the normal annual increase / decrease cycle, e.g. IC Danang, Indigo Milan Corso Monforte etc.

Admittedly, even at 40k points that Indigo in Hakone (a hot spring resort area) was a good deal as paid rates easily reached around 40k JPY (~375 USD) or more even exceeding cash pricing for Tokyo ICs that cost 55k points under normal redemption rates. So for now I wouldn't attribute this increase to dynamic pricing which would be worrying if the mechanism allows to exceed the normal ceiling points rate. YMMV.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: Avios
[QUOTE=demue;32477878]Aside from market recovery and immunity discussions, the one property where I noticed the former base rate to increase is the Indigo Hakone (Japan). The hotel used to go for 40k points normal rates and during the "dynamic pricing" initial phase was to be had for ~30-35k points depending on the dates.

Now the default has jumped to 50k a night. Now it could be coincidence as IHG has before stealthily increased redemption rates of select properties outside of the normal annual increase / decrease cycle, e.g. IC Danang, Indigo Milan Corso Monforte etc.

Admittedly, even at 40k points that Indigo in Hakone (a hot spring resort area) was a good deal as paid rates easily reached around 40k JPY (~375 USD) or more even exceeding cash pricing for Tokyo ICs that cost 55k points under normal redemption rates. So for now I wouldn't attribute this increase to dynamic pricing which would be worrying if the mechanism allows to exceed the normal ceiling points rate. YMMV.[/QUOTE

I think IHG realized that they were pricing all the Japanese properties too low and have adjusted back to higher average prices.Let us see if the higher pricing holds.I think that they will lower prices back down if demand falls off.There are many bookings for next year that will not materialize if the Pandemic is still raging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.