Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: Everything
Snagged two nights at the I/C Clement in Monterey for 40K for April 2021. Cash value for one of the nights was $463.

Last edited by HeavenlyJane; Jun 16, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: Everything
Originally Posted by italdesign
4 nights at HIE Zion for 65k w/4th night free. Normally 40k per night.
Curious how you got 4 nights for 63K, when I was offered same number of days for 75K (25K with 4th night free).
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by HeavenlyJane
Curious how you got 4 nights for 63K, when I was offered same number of days for 75K (25K with 4th night free).
Different days most likely. When I redeemed for the Holiday Inn Death Valley, I was getting slightly different rates based on the days I was choosing, weekends generally being a bit more expensive.
happychic likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:15 pm

I snagged 3 nights at the IC Fiji, 92,500 points over Christmas. Not bad taking into account the 100% bonus on buying points. It is a real saving on the regular rate.
minz56 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: Avios
IHG looks to have realized that some of the initial dynamic pricing was valuing points "too highly".I see that IC ANA Tokyo has gone from 28k nightly to 48k points nightly with the cash price unchanged for the nights that I had booked.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:17 pm

Oh wow, they made changes across the board. Costs more points now
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by BaconSF
Oh wow, they made changes across the board. Costs more points now
Glad I got in when I did!
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tilto007
IHG looks to have realized that some of the initial dynamic pricing was valuing points "too highly".I see that IC ANA Tokyo has gone from 28k nightly to 48k points nightly with the cash price unchanged for the nights that I had booked.
Wonder if they will be sending out cancellation notices shortly.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Wonder if they will be sending out cancellation notices shortly.
Let's see, I'm hopeful this won't happen. Maybe they are fine tuning things. I see Osaka and Beppu ICs went to the normal 60k for my dates. IC Strings is higher now at 42.5k, but still a discount over normal 55k. On the not so pleasant side, Hakone Indigo used to max. out at 40k and now I see 50k already for next year dates while paid rates have dropped by 10k JPY. What's that about?

​​Overall, it is not like rooms were going for crazy cheap points rates under the current severely distressed demand.

If they do try to void bookings, I'll certainly remember and it'll influence my decisions on where to stay in the future, whether to extend AMB and such things.

I'm tired of companies reserving every right to not honor / stand in for their potential mistakes or mishaps while we as consumers are doomed and locked in the other way around when maybe picking the wrong date on a non-refundable booking or so.

If IHG can't manage a dynamic reward pricing engine, don't introduce it and stick to fixed redemption rates. None of us asked them to get fancy with the pricing.

Last edited by demue; Jun 20, 2020 at 10:04 pm
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: Avios
I doubt there will be any cancellations as these points rates were reasonable.I think there will be some ebb and flow with the rates until they figure out what the optimal ratio should be.One thing this should teach people is that if the rates appear cheap/reasonable go ahead and book as they will probably go up if you wait.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 10:31 pm

See any good deals? Looks like it’s dead
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by christianj
Just booked a 40k night at the Crowne Plaza NYC Times Square at the reduced 40k rate and will fight with them to change over to Chase Free Night certificate later. Tired of being on hold for hours and worried that the reduced rate will disappear.
Originally Posted by rbw5t
Similarly, the Willard in DC is 40k for many nights, but doesn't seem available using the Chase certs. They probably have some fine print that they can point to for not honoring the cert, though in reality, I bet it's an IT issue.
did either of you manage to use the certificate to make the booking????
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:07 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
da nang is 65000 again, wonder about the dynamic pricing in high season, if it is 100k now i am done with IHG
Old Jun 22, 2020, 7:16 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by cln
da nang is 65000 again, wonder about the dynamic pricing in high season, if it is 100k now i am done with IHG
I would say there's zero chance that dynamic pricing will work out in our favor in the long run. I fully expect that, once the travel market is back to normal, we will see lots of hotels priced above their "standard" rate. That doesn't mean that there won't still be occasional deals, but I think the time to use IHG points was a week ago (or now, for those who didn't make reservations last week).
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
For a short period, the ICs in Portugal were very cheap. The IC Lisbon was 20k a night, the IC Porto was 40k or less, and the IC Estoril, which is 50k, went down to 22,500.I rebooked my IC Lisbon night and thought about redoing my trip, but left it alone. But they are back up to what they were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.