Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by sch7458
Don't know whether this is good news or bad news. On short term the prices I checked are steal - never seen NYC hotels that cheap, but on long run they might just increase the price like Hilton.
I was about to buy the max points with the current 2x deal ($2,500 for 250,000 x 2), but with this going on, I think I'll hold off and see how it plays out.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by rbw5t
Similarly, the Willard in DC is 40k for many nights, but doesn't seem available using the Chase certs. They probably have some fine print that they can point to for not honoring the cert, though in reality, I bet it's an IT issue.
I agree that it likely is an IT issue with their system not recognizing the reduced award rates to allow the booking. The CS agent I spoke to said she needed to call the hotel which seemed odd since to me this definitely looks like an IT issue. She said she would get back to me.
Old May 29, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by downinit
Chicago is the same. Either a glitch or an unannounced Covid sale?
I noticed this for Phoenix too. Hotels like a pretty nice looking Crowne Plaza for 12.5k a night. Most properties available for between 10k and 17.5k a night.

If you have Chase credit card, you get 4th night free and 10% points rebate so could get a 4 night stay at a decent property for maybe 34k all in. Pretty close to pointsbreak level deals.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Checked some places where we have bookings in the next 6+ months playing with various dates and none of them seem to have the dynamic pricing yet. Reward prices are still like they used to be - Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Switzerland. YMMV.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:10 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by demue
Checked some places where we have bookings in the next 6+ months playing with various dates and none of them seem to have the dynamic pricing yet. Reward prices are still like they used to be - Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Switzerland. YMMV.
CH has at least some hotels that show up with variable pricing, e.g., Geneva:

In Asia, I've only seen it in TW (Indigo Taipei as low as 15k, Regent as low as 30k) and Vietnam (IC Danang at 40k, bookable until EOS ... sweeeeet!)
Brendan likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by rbw5t
Similarly, the Willard in DC is 40k for many nights, but doesn't seem available using the Chase certs. They probably have some fine print that they can point to for not honoring the cert, though in reality, I bet it's an IT issue.
Did you try social media or calling? SM gets me what I want 90% of the time.
Old May 30, 2020, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by flightline
Hopefully this isn't a way to nullify the fourth night free benefit.
It was a glitch on the Clearwater Beach that's normally 35K. When I was arranging 10 days they would price out variously from 20 to 25 K but if I put a 20K as the free night it cost more total. Small tweet that ppl need be aware of.

There are no deals in California, Florida Panhandle or the Maryland beach coast. There are in the rest of FL, NYC, DC, Chicago, and Europe. Be sure to check discount cash prices also. Ex: The Klimpon Surfcomber in South Beach is 25K but cash prices are under $125. My Clearwater Beach is averaging 16K with 4th free and it's lowest cash is $150 so over 2cpp even before 12% tax savings.

Dynamic pricing will eventually work against us but during pandemics when hotels are empty we'll save 40%.
Old May 30, 2020, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Switzerland is in there, for example IC Geneva starting at 30000 points.
Also mainland China, Taiwan, South Korea and a few European countries.
Old May 30, 2020, 3:58 pm

Just nabbed Budapest for 25,000. 4th night free worked, so after the 10%+10% back will be 60,000 points for 4 nights.
tassojunior likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:34 pm

None of the Caribbean destinations are on sale .
Old May 30, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I just saw that the IC Berlin is at 20 k points in June, I have booked but at a paid rate for a suite which is at normal rates. Sadly the club rooms are no longer bookable until Sept.
Old May 30, 2020, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
CH has at least some hotels that show up with variable pricing, e.g., Geneva:

In Asia, I've only seen it in TW (Indigo Taipei as low as 15k, Regent as low as 30k) and Vietnam (IC Danang at 40k, bookable until EOS ... sweeeeet!)

Are you able to book IC Danang with free night? it keep give me an error message when I try to redeem my free night? thanks!
Old May 30, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Points rewards here in Calgary are also exceptionally low. Most properties are 10000 to 12500 per night.
Old May 30, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by strayersong
Switzerland is in there, for example IC Geneva starting at 30000 points.
Also mainland China, Taiwan, South Korea and a few European countries.
Thanks, interesting for Switzerland. As mentioned, I only checked a few countries where I have travel planned or need a hotel room at some point - Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Switzerland. In CH, I looked at Davos and Zurich, not Geneva and only a few days across a few months in Aug - Dec 2020 range. YMMV.

Definitely not an exhaustive sampling and likely my chosen days were not discounted. I had a look at Davos in 2021 now and can see some dates at 45k or 47.5k when rates around 450-550 CHF base rate.

Either way, interesting to see what we uncover. The power of FT crowd sourcing will help.

Last edited by demue; May 30, 2020 at 11:08 pm
Old May 31, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Interesting I just checked Danang for some dates I have booked later in the year and points is 40k per night, I have booked a suite and so far all that's been applied is an upgrade to the club version which as an RA is not needed and a bit meh to be honest, 40k is tempting but I have read they are not to generous with points booking, but food for thought anyway maybe some room to negotiate as the paid rate has come down a fair bit also....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.