Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
duplicate!

Last edited by IAN-UK; Aug 26, 2022 at 5:02 am
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:51 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
ok, i think I've got it. you were simply pointing out that there are IHG hotels that routinely sell for under 16k ponts. They are legion. I'm in a rather nice one in Jeddah right now.

I''m sure you didn't mean to suggest all IHG hotels in Jakarta are below that target price. But that's was my interpretation of your post so it seemed fair to alert others to a potential bargain.

​​​​​​As for sticking to attempts to expose the mechanics behind the mistake, it has a geeky fascination but nothiing more. it was a one-off (ok maybe a two-off &#128516 bit of serendipity that some of us were able to exploit.
I zoomed in on central Jakarta, so the ICs did not show. I think my point was clear
Old May 6, 2023, 7:31 am

Programs: Avios
It looks like IHG is making "mistake" points redemptions like the ones mentioned in this thread a thing of the past. Their new updated terms and conditions now have this disclaimer.

In the event of an erroneously published Reward Night point price, IHG One Rewards reserves the right to cancel the booking and refund the points. Members will be notified in the event that this occurs.

All good things must come to end
Old May 6, 2023, 9:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I read that on LL....

Interesting prospect ...,,

We can all remember the occurance of the 40.000 points award night lunar convergence which drummed up much interest equal to Britney's court case...

Admittingly IHG was ambigious if it was a base programming error or the "flash" sale it was newly touting ....

Personally i think all reservations that were made with points before 1 APR 2023 will be honored.....
Even if those are the infamous 40.000 pts ones ....

Points were already deducted from member's account anyway ...

It could also foreshadow that IHG is going to have a major IT overhaul, moving systems and such ....
So pre-emptive strikes at minimizing impact of any award points discrepencies calculations by altering its t&c
Old May 6, 2023, 9:31 am

Yes all reservations made before April 10th are being honored. It is actually unfair to have a dynamic award chart and then have the ability to cancel any award by claiming an error. How are we to know the difference between a flash sale/discount and an error??
Old May 6, 2023, 12:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tilto007
In the event of an erroneously published Reward Night point price, IHG One Rewards reserves the right to cancel the booking and refund the points. Members will be notified in the event that this occurs.
It seems to me that when a company "reserves the right" to something, it is often something to which the company doesn't have the right and is pretending it does.
Yes all reservations made before April 10th are being honored. [...]
How do you know?
[...] It is actually unfair to have a dynamic award chart and then have the ability to cancel any award by claiming an error. How are we to know the difference between a flash sale/discount and an error??
True. Too true.
Old May 6, 2023, 2:08 pm

April 10 was the date that I read in the new terms and conditions. There was a few other things mentioned including new limits on the "free breakfast." benefits for Diamond
Old May 6, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Gotta love the "two class" society where major companies with big IT and Staff budgets don't have to live up to their screw ups, but Mr. John Smith slips up by a day, a month or so with his advance member rate reservation he / she is screwed and at the mercy of a a willing property while the chain / HQ can insist that the mistake was the customers.
Savage25 and 336 like this.
Old May 7, 2023, 7:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by demue
Gotta love the "two class" society [...]
Yes. And the stock "That's not what it means..." declaration when the customer points out that T&C absolutely say something that the company decides it doesn't want to honor.
demue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.