Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deep redemption discounts in some locations & dynamic award pricing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I thought La Peer was starting at 42,500 -on the dates I was looking, at least. Mind sharing a couple of 40k days?
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:23 am
Suspended

db1234db1234
Interesting. So we agree on the slight bump in typical redemption rates. However, it seems we don't see eye-to-eye on the value per point.

With the caveat that due to travel restrictions, I'm currently looking mostly at regional hotels, too. But here in the EU, it seems the value in terms of $ per point has fallen more markedly.

For instance, IC Berlin requires 20k on non-peak dates.. But the non-flex rate fluctuates between 75€ and 90€ per night on non-busy dates. With redemption rates at 20k or 22.5k, that's closer to $0.005 per point. If I look at the new IHG properties at LHR, it's like 12.5k points vs. GBP 55 non-flex or GBP 72 flex. If you can live with the non-flex rate, again the value is closer to $0.005 per point.

Of course, if you need flexibility, it's looking a bit better as here in Europe, the spread between non-flex and flex rates at IHG has widened considerably. However, if I need a flex booking, I'm also looking closely at IHG's competitors, the reason being that some (e.g., Hyatt) don't charge any premium for free 24-hours cancellation.

beachfan La Peer at 40k for example for a one-night stay on Jan 10, 2021.
beachfan likes this.

Last edited by flyertalker28120; Nov 16, 2020 at 8:53 am Reason: messed-up decimal point
Old Nov 16, 2020, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
db1234db1234
Interesting. So we agree on the slight bump in typical redemption rates. However, it seems we don't see eye-to-eye on the value per point.

With the caveat that due to travel restrictions, I'm currently looking mostly at regional hotels, too. But here in the EU, it seems the value in terms of $0.01 per point has fallen more markedly.

For instance, IC Berlin requires 20k on non-peak dates.. But the non-flex rate fluctuates between 75€ and 90€ per night on non-busy dates. With redemption rates at 20k or 22.5k, that's closer to $0.05 per point.
No, it's $0.005/point.

In general, it's much, much better to discuss in terms of cents per point (cpp)--here, 0.5--which avoids the common problem of messing up the decimal place when describing in terms of dollars.
Brendan and flyertalker28120 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 8:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beltway
No, it's $0.005/point.
Totally agreed. Will fix in my previous post to avoid confusion.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 6:42 pm

Booked the chatsworth hotel in Los Angeles for 12.5k points/night. Cash rate = $100

with the cc 4th night free, total 37,500 points

got over 1cpp

can still find some good deals
Brendan, Happy and DiverDave like this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I find both IHG and Hilton are the only chains that price their properties fairly at the moment.

Rates have pretty much collapsed across the board and Marriott as well as Hyatt are still charging full tag price while benefits are reduced which is absolutely crazy.
Fims and Graf von B like this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I find both IHG and Hilton are the only chains that price their properties fairly at the moment.

Rates have pretty much collapsed across the board and Marriott as well as Hyatt are still charging full tag price while benefits are reduced which is absolutely crazy.
Not true, Hyatt has the 25% points rebate for award bookings
Old Nov 21, 2020, 4:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BaconSF
Only if you're based in the US *and* got the right card. I don't wanna bash on Hyatt here, because I think they're doing many things right during this pandemic.

But with all the IHG bashing going on, I want to re-iterate that IHG is doing relatively well on the redemption front. If I look at Radisson instead, awards are mightily unattractive. Their redemption rates didn't budge one bit so that cash is almost always the way to go. Marriott at least has got off-peak pricing but--especially after their recent deflation earlier this year--I still see little value for myself as long as cash prices are depressed.

Am I worried that redemption rates creep further up (as slightly touched upon in #152)? Sure, a little. But right now, Rewards Club is one of the better points currencies.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by BaconSF
Outside of North America, Hyatt Points are hard to come by!
NoY likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 9:46 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX

Maybe Hyatt hasn't adjusted points rates, but I've been seeing some decent low rates for cash, i.e. the GH Bangkok which is normally THB4000++ or more, is only THB1991, though still 12k points or 6k+THB1600. Last month, we went to Phuket and were thinking about booking the HIR Mai Khao as it was down to 10k on points, though it was very deserted there. Stayed at the Anantara instead on a time share deal, so 3 nights in a 2 bedroom villa with a private, good-sized pool, was only US$99 total, and they threw in a THB3000 vouchure for the spa.
demue and Fims like this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 7:50 pm

Very sad to have to cancel amazing Tokyo cherry blossom reservations (Intercontinental for 30-40K/ni). Award nights are back to 55K/ni, I guess domestic demand is strong!
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by enox5
Outside of North America, Hyatt Points are hard to come by!
The have frequentl point sales. Also, if you are staying in 'nicer' hotels usually, Hyatt has decent coverage in most of Europe through a combination of their own brands plus SLH.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by beltway
No, it's $0.005/point.

In general, it's much, much better to discuss in terms of cents per point (cpp)--here, 0.5--which avoids the common problem of messing up the decimal place when describing in terms of dollars.
Or better yet, $ per thousand points ("K".) $5 per K. Your correction is correct: Half a cent per point versus a nickel per point in the original.
We've all seen signs in stores advertising a price of ".25c" which means 4 for a penny! The correct ways to write a price of a quarter are 25c without decimal point or $.25 or $0.25!
iskingolf likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by brownie20
Very sad to have to cancel amazing Tokyo cherry blossom reservations (Intercontinental for 30-40K/ni). Award nights are back to 55K/ni, I guess domestic demand is strong!
Same here and couldn't find any date lower than 47k/night, I booked when it was only 27k!
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: Avios
There is some good value to be found booking California properties with points. I made a few reservations in July at 20,000 points per night where the cash rates were $250 to 275.. The reservations were for IC Moneterey and IC in Los Angeles but with Highway 1 washing out last week it looks like another trip that will be cancelled
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.