Address
Intercontinental Maldives Maamunagu Resort
Maamunagu Resort
Raa Atoll
Maldives
Tel + 960 6580500
Mail: [email protected]

Link to hotel:
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/hotels/us/en/maamunagau-island/mlemm/hoteldetail

Flight to airport (MLE)
Seaplane Round Trip
USD 580++ now 700++ per adult
USD 290++ now 350++ per child (3 -12 years of age)
children up to the age of 2 are free (but no seat)
(Post)

Rewards points:
120.000 Points

(According to this post, the hotel opens up reward inventory 3 month prior to stay date)

List of Digestifs at pool (daily between 20:00 - 22:00)
List in Post #48

Reports
Ambassador
Report of an Ambassador (on reward stay) in December 2019

Other
Pre Opening thread

Resort Menus in Post #140 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32883853-post140.html
Print Wikipost

InterContinental Maldives Maamunagau Resort Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by eltoddo22
Wow 20 days. Lucky you... I'm sure you will enjoy. Booked all on points?

Yes, video was taken in December when resort was at around 40% capacity. It's a great destination during pandemic being such a controlled environment. COVID feels a world away once you step foot on island.
All on points yes. Dropped insanely lucky I think and unlikely be repeated any time soon. Mind I waited a long long time and cashed a lot of hard earned stops and work trips for this one off. 1.9 million!

And yes that's the impression I got as well. We have a some days in Fujairah and Dubai moving on EK before moving Maldives and like you very much get the impression that from a safety point of view. Their procedures seem as good if not better than anyone's and the hotels and authorities in Dubai also treating it very professionally.

Yes have to confess I've never done island travel or stops ... a lot of years of everywhere/everything but bar Mauritius and Phu Quoc (not really islands) I've never done anything like Maldives. It's a whole new learning curve for me ... weight allowances, movement limitations, dress code. And exactly as you say a controlled environment. You paint a very attractive picture. Looking forward to this one.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:14 am

I was told by curator that the lower upgrade tiers go like this:

Overwater Pool Villa
One Bedroom Lagoon Pool Villa
Sunset Overwater Pool Villa

As a Platinum Ambassador, I was upgraded from overwater pool villa to sunset overwater pool villa and told that this was technically a 2-level upgrade. But I think this upgrade is common for people with status booking award nights.

The "One Bedroom Lagoon Pool Villa" is actually much bigger and impressive that overwater villa. It's 2-story, has a jetted pool, views of lagoon and ocean, and much larger. However I think being on the sunset side is much better. I'd also never experienced an overwater villa before so preferred this option. But if your priority is lots of space and a separate living area then one bedroom lagoon villa could be better for some people.
Is good advice and I have very limited to no knowledge on this location. So the upgraded 1 B/R units don't have sunset view but the smaller ones do ... is that right? And that the O/W villa has sunset and non sunset options?

Any other highs/lows/must knows you can think of for this location? Trying learn as much as I can to make the very best of the stay. Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Is good advice and I have very limited to no knowledge on this location. So the upgraded 1 B/R units don't have sunset view but the smaller ones do ... is that right? And that the O/W villa has sunset and non sunset options?

Any other highs/lows/must knows you can think of for this location? Trying learn as much as I can to make the very best of the stay. Thanks
There are 1 bedroom lagoon villas with sunset view but I don't know if you can get it from award booking because that would be upgrading category by 3 levels. Perhaps you could try negotiating if that's your preference.

Dolphin tour is good and worth the 75++ price tag. There is great snorkeling on north side of island between fitness center and spa. Tip the bartenders good

The one cost that will add up over 20 days is dinner. The evening digestifs are not really enough to cover dinner. If you are budget conscious then you might pack snacks like cup noodles otherwise dinner for 2 will set you back upwards of $150 or more per night. I think it's definitely worth doing Lighthouse / Fish market each at least once when there. Some times we'd just eat by bar (Cafe Umi) and order pizza (only available Italian night) or the butter chicken. I met a lot of people there who were on "Half board" (breakfast, dinner included) and "Full board" packages (breakfast, lunch, dinner). I didn't ask how much these packages cost but imagine it must be quite expensive. Definitely alot of rich people coming here who give no f***'s as to price.

Last edited by eltoddo22; Jan 11, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:38 am

There are 1 bedroom lagoon villas with sunset view but I don't know if you can get it from award booking because that would be upgrading category by 3 levels. Perhaps you could try negotiating if that's your preference.

Dolphin tour is good and worth the 75++ price tag. There is great snorkeling on north side of island between fitness center and spa. Tip the bartenders good

The one cost that will add up over 20 days is dinner. The evening digestifs are not really enough to cover dinner. If you are budget conscious then you might pack snacks like cup noodles otherwise dinner for 2 will set you back upwards of $150 or more per night. I think it's definitely worth doing Lighthouse / Fish market each at least once when there. Some times we'd just eat by bar (Cafe Umi) and order pizza (only available Italian night) or the butter chicken. I met a lot of people there who were on "Half board" (breakfast, dinner included) and "Full board" packages (breakfast, lunch, dinner). I didn't ask how much these packages cost but imagine it must be quite expensive. Definitely alot of rich people coming here who give no f***'s as to price.
Sound advice, thanks for that.

Agree your take. Worse again we have time in M.E before Maldives so you right, the food thing can get a little heavy and will ... calorie wise and in monetary terms. We do tend rotate club lounge and going out. It works for us pretty well.

The half board and full board packages were way above my pay grade but pressure is taken off a bit given we have paid zilch for accommodation and major flights. That said I think we will still take the same approach as you.

And when you say the food offering in lounge is a bit thin, what is the typical evening offering? Sometimes that's enough when you drowning breakfast and afternoon tea :-)

I got the impression the afternoon tea looked quite full but do they rotate content.

Thanks for the experience and advice
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist

And when you say the food offering in lounge is a bit thin, what is the typical evening offering? Sometimes that's enough when you drowning breakfast and afternoon tea :-)
Evening digestif usually consists of cheese and a light hors d'oeuvres. Like probably 200-300 calories. I think club access at other Intercontinental's usually comes with much larger portion for evening digestif. But here you are stuck at the resort and they really want you going to restaurants for dinner.

Afternoon tea is usually enough whereas I wouldn't need lunch. The breakfast is amazing and I usually found myself overeating in the morning. You can also ask for nuts/chips at the bar and that's a nice snack.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:27 pm

Evening digestif usually consists of cheese and a light hors d'oeuvres. Like probably 200-300 calories. I think club access at other Intercontinental's usually comes with much larger portion for evening digestif. But here you are stuck at the resort and they really want you going to restaurants for dinner.

Afternoon tea is usually enough whereas I wouldn't need lunch. The breakfast is amazing and I usually found myself overeating in the morning. You can also ask for nuts/chips at the bar and that's a nice snack.
And in fairness it sounds a nice model if a little more costly for us. Dine first then two hours at lounge for drinks 8-10. Quite like the sound of that and as you say ... works as we are captive. I can live with that.

Many thanks again for filling in the detail. Is a real help. Cheers
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:50 pm

Sorry but I’m getting a bit confused. So booking with points still includes breakfast right?
Old Jan 17, 2021, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by lchan1982
Sorry but I’m getting a bit confused. So booking with points still includes breakfast right?
I believe so yes. The resort is all club which includes breakfast. Mind having just looked at the res, I can see no explicit mention. I will ask about that and come back to you.
lchan1982 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 7:54 pm

I believe so yes. The resort is all club which includes breakfast. Mind having just looked at the res, I can see no explicit mention. I will ask about that and come back to you.
Thanks!!
Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by lchan1982
Hi again. I checked wit hotel and Ambassador and definitely yes it's included as are all the other Club Resort benefits .... afternoon tea, snacks, drinks during day and normal club lounge package in the evening.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:22 pm

and part 3 of the video...

Ikaz likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Come on guys, you're on Flyertalk! There's a bunch of frequent flyer lurkers gagging for news about the flight to the hotel! How was the flight?

Is it an "airline" that is contracted for servicing the resorts, or does each property organise its own flights with a private operator? And if so, are there any safety concerns? Is there any service on board? And do the flights have numbers and their own operator code?

Great thread, by the way.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Come on guys, you're on Flyertalk! There's a bunch of frequent flyer lurkers gagging for news about the flight to the hotel! How was the flight?

Is it an "airline" that is contracted for servicing the resorts, or does each property organise its own flights with a private operator? And if so, are there any safety concerns? Is there any service on board? And do the flights have numbers and their own operator code?

These guys seem to have the major bases covered including the IC ....

https://www.transmaldivian.com/
Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:02 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Concerto

Not sure if this is a wind up as you have many posts and I expect many on FT are familiar with the set-up at the Maldives, but will answer anyways

Its basically a monopoly for flights. Most all the resorts have contracts with https://www.transmaldivian.com/ and everything is booked through the resort unless you want to fly private. Planes are all DHC Twin Otter sea planes. There is no service on board and little remarkable other than the thrill of flying on a sea plane with a captain that is barefoot. There are no safety concerns, they charge enough that they do not have to take short cuts (monopoly), and in any case if it ever came to light that they were risking safety, their business would be toast, as Maldives nation could not tolerate such risk to the tourism industry
Old Jan 23, 2021, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That is so interesting, thank you so much for the information and link. I have never before researched in such detail about a trip to the Maldives, I had considered it far too expensive for what is offered and somehow I didn't want to support what is a fairly hard-line government there. But the place is unique in the world and we, as travellers, should all try to get there at some point.

I would be happy to dump some of my huge number of points at the IC there. Even at an inflated 100,000 points it is a good use of those points. One question that hasn't been posed here is, how does the Holiday Inn compare? At 45,000 points it's a lot less. I am guessing that no food and drink is included, unlike the "club" like nature of the redemption at the IC.

Actually, the seaplane transfer would be an interesting part of the trip for me and would definitely be something to be enjoyed - especially given the cost. I had no idea about Trans Maldivian. I think it's important to remember that, at its base and origin, this was and is a frequent flyer forum. So a side comment about the plane transfer is not out of place because it connects directly to the hotel/resort in question.
soy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.