Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Rewards Club Experiences 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: FB Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Plat Premier
Hotel Indigo Durham (UK)

What is your Priority Club status?

Spire Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked reward night and second night paid. Upgraded one category to Superior room

How are the rooms?

Brand New hotel in the centre of Durham. Converted from old council building. Nice charm and original features kept with the modern touch. Rooms are very comfortable quirky amenities including local teas / coffees and sweets.

What was good and what was bad?

Good - Location, comfort and character

Received welcome points without follow up

Breakfast was excellent for £10, choice of several dishes with locally sourced food including fish

I originally only booked one night via rewards on a busy weekend, on the day I checked out i returned to the hotel to check availability and they offered me an excellent rate for a further night stay.

Don't have any negatives although I believe parking is quite expensive but did not use that facility.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Good value for money and would definitely return. This will be the #1 hotel in Durham city when fully established.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
HIX Montreal Airport

HIX Montreal Airport

What is your Priority Club status? Spire Elite

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay? It was fine

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked two queen beds and that is what we received.

How are the rooms? Well appointed with fridge and microwave.

How is the exec. lounge? NA

What was good and what was bad? Good - The pool, hot tub and gym were great. We were the only guests using the facilities at the time. Airport shuttle quick and reliable. Welcome points posted overnight. Given three bottles of water when we checked in. It was wonderful to sleep in an air conditioned room after the relentless heat in London.
Bad - No upgrade yet there were suites available to book. Breakfast was the usual poor quality, carb heavy stodgy.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? It was the cheapest airport hotel, there is also HI and CP.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Holiday Inn Express Seattle South - Tukwila

HIX Seattle South - Tukwila, WA (Southcenter Mall)

Spire

Not really

Standard award room upgraded to a "view" one

How are the rooms?
Not bad - lots of space and outlets, micro/fridge standard with all rooms.

Positive: I was notified via email that I'd been upgraded.

Not so positive: the property bills itself as Holiday Inn Express and Suites. However, at check in the clerk was rather emphatic that I had been upgraded one category. As they didn't seem very busy, I'm left with the impression that they could have put me in a suite, but deliberately decided not to. Whether that was due to my booking an award room, I could not say.
Also at check-in, I asked about a late check-out. He offered 1 p.m., and when I seemed to balk at that, followed up with: "Our official check out time is at 11:00 (so you're getting two hours not one)." I didn't push that. Unfortunately, I received a call from the front desk around 11:30 asking whether I was planning on staying later? When I replied that I was given 1:00 at check-in the clerk mumbled" Sorry" and abruptly hung up.

20,000 points wasn't a bad rate, but wouldn't recommend this location unless it were cheaper than others, or there's a specific need to be in the area. I believe they have an airport shuttle, but wasn't a concern for me. Rooms were starting at $200 cash for that night when I booked a couple of days in advance.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:49 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Holiday Inn Runcorn, UK

Spire

Not really

I booked a Deluxe room and got an Executive room which appeared to be a downgrade, on later reflection.

How are the rooms?

The room was so small that there was no space to move my bag beyond the desk without carrying it over the bed.

There was a mostly empty fridge with two 250ml bottles of water and a Mars bar.

The toiletries were unusable.

Wifi is fine but was free to all.

The hairdryer was of the type that is attached to the wall, but the whole housing had come off the wall. When using it, the holder dangled off the wire, and the internal wiring was exposed.

The air conditioning did not work very well, but the window could be opened and there was a breeze.

The shower water pressure was not substantial.

How is the exec. lounge?

None

Received welcome points immediately. Nothing else offered.

Location was perfect for where I needed to be, with free parking but a barrier which requires a code to exit (written on the key card holder).

There is a complicated one-way system around the nearby residential roads.

The clientele of the hotel is a bit dodgy. When I was unloading my car a smoker decided to stand very close despite there being ample space elsewhere. When I was checking in, two other guests wanted to speak to the front desk, but instead of queuing up behind me they decided to stand very close to me on either side like in a mugging. Walking along the corridors was a bit intimidating, getting stares from some people which if we were outdoors in a dimly lit area, could be a precursor to racial abuse.

I don't see myself needing to stay in this area again, but it may be the only option (as it was the night I stayed).

I initially saw a prepaid rate of £53 but had not confirmed my plans. When I came to book, it had risen to £87 so I decided to spend 15000 points instead, especially since there was no sign of any new Accelerate promo at the time. Several categories of room were bookable for points, and despite choosing the highest category I got what I got.

They wanted £19 for breakfast, when the whole place is more suited to a HIX where you'd at least get something included.
FLYGVA and chrism20 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:08 pm

Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Toronto Airport West

Platinum.

Yes.

Booked 2 Queens, given 2 Queens in corner at end of a long hallway (all rooms are same size).

How are the rooms?
Standard HIX size for the area. 8m deep x 3.5m wide.

Furnishings in good shape, as hotel opened in 2017.

Well-equipped with nice large HDTV, microwave and good-sized fridge.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:
+ Pleasant staff

+ Comfortable bed

+ Decent shower pressure with hot water within 15 seconds

+ Spacious breakfast area with solid selection (first time seeing kiwis at an HIX!)

+ Nice pool & small whirlpool area

+ Right off HWY 401 if driving

+ Montana's & Kelsey's a 10-minute walk from hotel

Bad:
- Shuttle is a mess ... waited for an hour at airport before giving up and taking cab ... never saw shuttle leave the parking lot for duration of 6-day stay!

- No light in bathroom, though maintenance fixed on second day

- Slow elevators, and programmed to go to 6th (top floor) on every ride

- Public PCs severely outdated, could not print a ticket

- Middle of nowhere, buried in an industrial complex with few sidewalks

Rates vary significantly, but are typically 1/2 - 2/3 the price of a comparable hotel in downtown Toronto.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:19 pm

Staybridge Suites Oakville - Burlington

Platinum.

Yes.

Booked King Suite, given same.

How are the rooms?
Main entry room with kitchen, sofa & ottoman, 8m deep x 3.5m wide.

Then doors to bedroom and bath area, also 8m deep x 3.5m wide.

Furnishings in pretty good shape.

Well-equipped with nice large HDTV, full-sized fridge, four-burner stove, microwave etc.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:
+ Pleasant staff

+ Nice room setup, lots of space, ideal for long-term stays

+ Comfortable bed

+ Good soundproofing

+ Decent shower pressure with hot water within 15 seconds

+ Excellent breakfast selection, and light dinner offered MON - THU

+ Right off HWY 403 if driving

+ A short bus ride to Bronte Station, then 50-minute ride into downtown Toronto

Bad:
- No HD channels in 2018

- Pull-out sofa extremely uncomfortable ... ultra-thin mattress component with posts digging into you across shoulders, back etc.

- Alarm clock set to wrong time; no easy way to correct

- Public PCs severely outdated, could not load gmail

- Middle of nowhere, buried in an industrial complex, nothing of interest in walking distance, could use a shuttle to Bronte Station

- Nacho cheese at breakfast looked OK, but had gone rancid!

Overall, a good stay. Rates vary significantly, but are typically 1/2 - 2/3 the price of a comparable hotel in downtown Toronto.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: IHG Spire, HH Gold
Holiday Inn Warsaw City Centre

Spire

Yes

Booked three night reward stay on pointbreaks (10k a night)...upgraded on morning of arrival to Junior Suite

How are the rooms?

Very good - New hotel, all fixtures very modern, suite a strange shape as it wraps around the end of the building

Good - Location - about 10/15 mins from central station, slightly further to the old town

Upgrade on points stay was very nice touch

Mini-bar in suite was complimentary and replenished daily. Beer, gin, vodka, whisky waterx2, orange juice, cola, tonic and choc/crisps snacks

Late check out, asked for 4pm and was given no problem

Hotel front desk very good during check-in and other queries

Excellent value for pointbreak room, even at 20k points in those suites would be a steal
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Holiday Inn Express Adelaide City Centre

Holiday Inn Express Adelaide City Centre

Club (aka none; it's my qualifying stay for Gold)

Yes

Booked queen, later requested to change to two singles by direct contact, got two singles at top floor

How are the rooms?
- Normal HIX size and setup
- Delighted to see a fridge (with some coffee milk) and iron & board in room; although didn't use them
- Sockets AND USB charging ports both bedside and at table
- Bathroom amenities in small tubes
- Excellent light-blocking curtains that made us overslept

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good
- Very nice interaction with staff before and during the stay
- Breakfast quality is good (options are on HIX standard)
- Reasonably priced and easy-to-use self service laundry
- Lobby is spacious and stylishly designed
- Accepted my 1-hour later check-out request without hesitation
- Right next to railway station and quite close to Rundle Mall for all shopping needs.
- Bars and night clubs at the corner, but once you turn into the street where the hotel entrance is at, you regain peace and quiet.
- Greener stay points posted very quickly

Could be better
- My friend told me the shower seems to have very minor leaks through the gaps; maybe sealing issue?
- Would be happier if there's free bottled water, but there's water tap at 1/F
- Price of bottled drinks at the 1/F bar fridge isn't displayed and even the staff isn't 100% sure about it either. Price seems reasonable for a hotel.

Quite good value, more than happy to return
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:34 pm

IC Sofia, Bulgaria

Platinum

Yes

Booked 4 nights with points for a standard room and upgraded to a club room with free breakfast but no access to the club lounge.

How are the rooms?

Very modern, and all amenities very nice.

Good - Location - about 5 mins from metro station, and near the old town.

Good value for booking on points.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by joytatee; Oct 21, 2018 at 3:35 pm Reason: adding more details.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Shanghai - Indigo on the Bund

Shanghai - Indigo on the Bund October 2018

Platinum

Mostly

Booked Deluxe King (no view). Given same. Recognition of status included chocolate, a note from the manager, and a free drink coupon. No welcome points.

How are the rooms?

I was really hoping to be upgraded to a view room, but the one I was given had the usual Indigo character, not generic. Laid out well, and has the best shower I've seen in quite a while. Slight wear and tear was noticeable.

How is the exec. lounge?

N/A

GOOD -Hotel and room are attractive and comfortable. A plate of fruit was provided on the first evening. I didn't use it, but very good selection offered in the mini bar.

BAD - Check in took forever. Slight communication issue with front desk personnel. Several don't seem to know any English. Location on the river is great, but you have either a long walk to the closest Metro station or need a taxi for transportation.

This hotel is one of the more expensive IHG options in Shanghai. I paid cash, but would probably return only if using points.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by DavidDTW; Oct 30, 2018 at 10:54 am Reason: Info on status recognition
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Holiday Inn London-Heathrow Ariel

Holiday Inn London-Heathrow Ariel - 118 Bath Road Heathrow London. Stay October 2018

Spire Elite

For what I paid, yes.

I booked a Standard Single and received an Executive Double.

How are the rooms?
Getting slightly dated nowadays, athough perfectly functional for a one night stay before flying out of LHR. The room was very clean and comfortable. It had a small fridge with various snacks in it although I never bothered with it. I recevied the customary complimentary bottles of water and chocolate bar. Ususal HI ungents in the bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
There isn't one.

I stayed here many years ago when it was a Forte Post House, and it has only had superficial updates since. However, it was clean, comfortable and ideal for an overnight pre-flight stay.

It is an odd shaped 'circular' hotel, built like a doughnut with an inner ring of standard rooms and the larger executive rooms and some bigger standard rooms are on the outer ring. Some of the south facing outer ring rooms on the higher floors have a decent view of the western end of the airport runways – ideal for aircraft spotters!

There is a large car park and providing you tap your car details in a reception, you get a free short period of parking – ideal to unload the hire car before returning it. The hotel is located at the end stop of the ‘free bus’ zone at Harlington Corner. Hence it is free to travel to/from the hotel/Heathrow Airport Bus station on red London Buses.

The food was passable and not overly expensive.

I was given the welcome points on checking in.

Yes, if flying in/out of Terminals 2&3 at LHR. I picked up the room for £42.40 on the Partner Rate 30% off so not bad value at all however room prices can be 'dynamic' ie they do fluctuate.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by BarneyMcGrew; Oct 30, 2018 at 3:50 am
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport

Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport - Stayed October 2018

Spire Elite

Yes

I had booked a standard double, but upgraded to King Club as the reception recognised me as a frequent stayer.

How are the rooms?

Clean and comfortable, if slightly dated nowadays. However perfectly functional for a pre-flight overnight stay.

How is the exec. lounge?

Small, can be busy. Usual canapes served during the evening – get in quickly for them as they soon run out. Continental Breakfast (toast and scrambled egg etc) available. However, note that if you have an early flight the lounge only serves the complimentary breakfast from 06:00am. (The normal restaurant breakfast starts at 05:30am).

Having stayed here many times, I was recognised and didn’t have to give my name to check in.

Check in was swift and efficient. There is a separate ‘Priority’ queue for Executive Club members, however this is often full of aircrew, so the normal queue can be faster.

If you have a vehicle tap the registration number into the tablet when checking in, else parking can be even more extortionate than it is already. All parking is controlled by ‘parking eye’ recognition cameras.

The room was clean and comfortable with a King size bed. Usual CP unguents in the bathroom. Ideal for a pre-flight/after flight stay.

As usual, there was a large queue of people waiting for the airport transfer shuttle minibuses at 04:30hrs. Hence, I took a slow walk over to T3 which is an easy 5-minute walk and I beat the shuttle bus by quite a while. I was already in the BA Terraces Lounge having coffee and porridge by the time other hotel guests arrived having waited for the shuttle. If heading for T3 or T1 it is a maximum of 7-minutes’ walk, so unless the weather is inclement, or you have loads of baggage, don’t bother waiting ages for the shuttles.

If arriving at MAN the courtesy phone to ring for the shuttle is often hidden by advertising screens etc. Instead just ring the front desk direct on 0161 498 4000 when exiting the baggage hall to request the shuttle.

I paid on points this visit (25,000 points). Good value for this points level and I will stay again when flying to/from MAN as it is very convenient being on the airport complex.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by BarneyMcGrew; Oct 30, 2018 at 3:52 am
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
Staybridge Suites Seattle - Fremont

Staybridge Suites Seattle - Fremont

Platinum Elite

Yes

Booked 2 Bdrm Suite 2 Bed - received the same
How are the rooms?
Very clean and spacious for a family weekend in Seattle. Nice to have 2 bedrooms (1 King & 2 Double) and 2 bathrooms. Kitchen was very well appointed and came with lots of crockery, cutlery, glassware and a dishwasher! The sitting area was a little small and the view was of N Aurora Avenue.The doors from the King bedroom kept hitting the bathroom door which was a little annoying. Comfortable beds - note that there is no housekeeping on the weekends so hang up your towels!

How is the exec. lounge?
Not applicable - though they do have a social Tues-Thursday with adult beverages!

Good - Convenient to Fremont and 10-15 mins to some decent restaurants. A few additional items to the generic HIX breakfast choices - Fee Laundry - nice pool and gym - plenty of places to sit (in the summer)- We did not discover is there is a roof-top garden/lounge?
Bad - A lot of road noise for rooms facing N Aurora Avenue; it did quieten down over the weekend, but was noticeable. I think the longer term residents have the rooms at the rear of the hotel. Parking was $15 per night & tax which seems a rip-off considering the location. There were some cars parked in the bus lane!

Room rate wasn't bad for 2 room suite and we would probably return.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by Skyline; Oct 31, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
Staybridge Suites - London Stratford City

Staybridge Suites - London Stratford City

What is your Priority Club status? Spire

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay? It was fine.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? Booked studio suite 1 king bed, received deluxe studio room, 1 king bed

How are the rooms? New and comfortable

How is the exec. lounge? NA

What was good and what was bad? Breakfast was good, the complimentary mobile phone did not work!

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? No
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
review deleted

removed
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by 1flyer; Dec 11, 2018 at 1:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.