Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

InterContinental Davos, Switzerland - Master Thread (leaving IC on May 31, 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Davos, Switzerland - Master Thread (leaving IC on May 31, 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Agree the suite and the view was good barring the high temperatures that plagued the entire property.....
We felt the temperature was perfect throughout the hotel, and the room controls worked well to our tastes; we prefer to sleep at 19 or 20 degrees and the controls got us there quickly with no undue rattling air conditioning or heating fan noise etc. Genuinely can't see how you thought the hotel was too hot....might you have been dressed in layers because of the location/skiing?

At breakfast on our first day it wasn't immediately clear which tables were in use so we sat at a table which wasn't being used for some 10 minutes before realising we needed to sit somewhere else when no cutlery or service of any kind was forthcoming. Not once on any of the 3 days did any staff member proactively ask if we wanted any drinks etc. at breakfast in the 10 to 20 minutes it had taken to be seated, get juices, have some cereal etc. On the Sunday it was so hard to find any staff at all that I had to go to the single staff member manning the arrival station to demand a hot drink after 20 plus minutes waiting.
We asked how it worked on our first visit, so didn't have the problem of sitting at the wrong table to start with. We got to know our regular servers quite well over the 5 breakfasts, including the 2 busy ones, so I just don't understand how you could have not seen anyone to serve you at all. I can only imagine that each day you sat at an unfortunately positioned table that didn't get the regular walk-by of staff that we got every day.

I wonder if timing was a factor, we were at breakfast quite early and service was particularly bad. We tend to eat quite late (dinner reservations around 20:30 each night) and service was particularly bad, perhaps late breakfast early dinner was better?
We are also late evening diners too so it's not that; we ate at 8.30PM in Al Pino and had no problems, and room service and Studio Grigio were about that time too. Our room service one night took about 35 minutes, but hey...it was busy! But we do go down to breakfast late, and that is normally the busiest time for breakfasts at the weekend, as it was last weekend. It was seriously ramped-up on Sunday morning breakfast, to the point that not only Capricorn was full but so was Al Pino in the spill over room. But my wife and I both thought the staff and hotel handled it admirably. I've experienced many hotel breakfasts break down at far fewer numbers.

The repeated nature of our experience in each and every restaurant makes me think we were not unlucky with uniquely slow staff, it was a universal problem. Now if we were in the med where it mightn't be too uncommon to take 3 plus hours to execute a meal service and we were relaxed about that, it might be fine, but in Northern Europe it really isn't. It would have been far worse had I been trying to conduct business rather than relaxing.

I think the overall context sets the scene for everything else, in overall context even my massively laid back wife was unhappy about service standards and it needs to be pretty bad before she starts to moan. That ruined the experience for us. I so wanted to like this property. If you feel your overall xoerience is good it tends to smooth the rough edges, when you think it is bad it tends to sharpen them.
This. I think sometimes when things start off badly they can snowball to much worse before you know it, so your take on the overall context is completely different to mine for the same hotel and period. It's a real shame for you, as for me it's an absolute stand-out skiing holiday stay. Probably in the top-5 of all time for my wife and me, when I think of all aspects.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
We had no choice about where to sit there wasn't a lot of space to choose from so ended up in the area parallel to the cold buffet/fruit area each day. There was never any sort of proactive breakfast service, no one at any point asked what we wanted and I think I would still be in there today waiting to be served If I hadn't flagged down staff myself who evidently did not want me to bother them from their general demeanour.

We couldn't wear layers indoors it was so hot, I couldn't even put on my ski jackets when indoors it was so hot. Never once wore more than a shirt indoors and still found it too hot and heard others in the lounge complaining about exactly the same thing. I prefer to sleep at 17 to 18 degrees and could not get our bedroom temperature anywhere close to this. Oddly though the temperature in our lounge was fine.

Some may see this as a positive but even in ski resorts I have never had a hotel with public areas and rooms so uncomfortably hot. The only respite was to stand outside.

I have emailed the GM about our overall experiences but have little confidence that I will get a response which changes my opinion of the property.

I have had issues with my regular ski resort properties, The Westin Whistler and Westin Mammoth Monache but they pale into insignificance compared to our issues at Davos.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Mar 18, 2016 at 4:00 am
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Marco159
i actually stay around 50 - 60 nights per year at mostly different IC hotels around the world - Davos is one of my favorite, top 3 Hotels. The service is really good, the property mind-blowing and Davos itself amazing for hiking and skiing.

Staying there around 4-5 times per year .... much better than Berchtesgaden ever was..

by the way: we were there last weekend as well ... i am sure we saw you in the lounge - anyway we had delicious swiss raclette at Capricorn Saturday evening

regarding Breakfast on Sunday, yes - i never saw the area busy like that - please note the hotel was fully booked - just 1 room left. For me, i understand that the employees were really busy - if i am busy in my job i appreciate clients who accept and realize the situation...
So you weren't the group with the little dog then? We must have seen you in there. It seems we were all in the club room over the weekend! :-)

Did you end up in the Al Pino spill-over room on Sunday breakfast? We initially were going to decline the table we were shown to in there and wait for a table in Capricorn, but actually it was very well laid out in Al Pino and the staff seem to be coping well so we stayed there.

It truly is a wonderful hotel isn't it! And I never realised how lovely Davos was.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:01 am

We had no choice about where to sit there wasn't a lot of space to choose from so ended up in the area parallel to the cold buffet/fruit area each day. There was never any sort of proactive breakfast service, no one at any point asked what we wanted and I think I would still be in there today waiting to be served If I hadn't flagged down staff myself who evidently did not want me to bother them from their general demeanour.

We couldn't wear layers indoors it was so hot, I couldn't even put on my ski jackets when indoors it was so hot. Never once wore more than a shirt indoors and still found it too hot and heard others in the lounge complaining about exactly the same thing. I prefer to sleep at 17 to 18 degrees and could not get our room temperature anywhere close to this.

Some may see this as a positive but even in ski resorts I have never had a hotel with public areas and rooms so uncomfortably hot. The only respite was to stand outside.

I have emailed the GM about our overall experiences but have little confidence that I will get a response which changes my opinion of the property.

I have had issues with my regular ski resort properties, The Westin Whistler and Westin Mammoth Monache but they pale into insignificance compared to our issues at Davos.
I didn't notice anyone having any of these problems, but because we didn't experience any of them ourselves maybe we weren't looking for them.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of curiosity do those who thought service was good at the IC Davos speak German?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:47 am

Out of curiosity do those who thought service was good at the IC Davos speak German?
Nein! Danke-schon. And that's about it! :-)
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AMDB7
Nein! Danke-schon. And that's about it! :-)
Lol even I can manage zwei bier bitte
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: TK Elite, BA Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus, IHG Spire AMB, HHonors Diamond
yes
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Land-of-Miles - don't despair . I can fully echo your observations (aside from the hotel / rooms being too hot). Admittedly, I was there in Jan 2015 for 5 nights and your observations about the breakfast chaos (pick your own table when most are still full of dishes and items - so free or not?) and the painfully slow service in the restaurants, a messy not looked after "lounge" and a general aura of disorganization. Concierge service was great for me (must have been the tips that greased the wheels ) and after the first poor in-house restaurant experience we ate outside every lunch and dinner (e.g. Restaurant Kulm was fantastic, we went 3 times).

I also dealt with Markus T. (Guest Services Manager) after I shared my observations and experiences post stay (he was on leave when I was there) and he is great and fixed a lot of things and provided a good amount of IHG points to make up for it (without me asking). Well recovered.

I would still return as I like the hotel and do agree that most issues are (under) staffing related, but these days Switzerland is a bit rich in cost and I will rather go to Austria. YMMV.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
yes
I speak (am) German and I thought it wasn't good. There you go.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by demue
(must have been the tips that greased the wheels )
Tipping isn't mandatory in Switzerland (and in fact, most people just do round up - if it was fantastic round up more generously) and a property that only offers good service after you give them EXTRA money (not that they're cheap without it) in Switzerland is pretty much dead. No wonder the hotel already went bancrupt once if that's their modus operandi.. (and cheated out on paying local small companies that delivered them with goods)
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demue
Land-of-Miles - don't despair . I can fully echo your observations (aside from the hotel / rooms being too hot). Admittedly, I was there in Jan 2015 for 5 nights and your observations about the breakfast chaos (pick your own table when most are still full of dishes and items - so free or not?) and the painfully slow service in the restaurants, a messy not looked after "lounge" and a general aura of disorganization. Concierge service was great for me (must have been the tips that greased the wheels ) and after the first poor in-house restaurant experience we ate outside every lunch and dinner (e.g. Restaurant Kulm was fantastic, we went 3 times).

I also dealt with Markus T. (Guest Services Manager) after I shared my observations and experiences post stay (he was on leave when I was there) and he is great and fixed a lot of things and provided a good amount of IHG points to make up for it (without me asking). Well recovered.

I would still return as I like the hotel and do agree that most issues are (under) staffing related, but these days Switzerland is a bit rich in cost and I will rather go to Austria. YMMV.
I have been encouraged by the response I have received from Stephan the GM, but rather than offering freebies I would prefer to understand how things would be better if I stayed again. Given the cost of getting there, spend and free time is infinitely greater than the cost of room.

Ultimately if the management feel I was just unlucky (which in fairness they have not implied) then I don't see how things would improve. This property could be really outstanding if they fix the glitches, all the foundations are there in terms of the fit out and infrastructure, it just needs to be run better.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Tipping isn't mandatory in Switzerland (and in fact, most people just do round up - if it was fantastic round up more generously) and a property that only offers good service after you give them EXTRA money (not that they're cheap without it) in Switzerland is pretty much dead. No wonder the hotel already went bancrupt once if that's their modus operandi.. (and cheated out on paying local small companies that delivered them with goods)
Yes, I'm aware of that. So? I'm purely talking concierge services here. After someone spends over 30mins to advise on all the things to do and which ones to skip in and around Davos, makes 8 restaurant bookings and organizes the hotel shuttle (car) drop off and pick ups especially to and from dinner events which save me 20-40CHF in cab fares each way, I do feel they deserve some extra tip for the service provided. I have yet to encounter a concierge team anywhere that will go to great length for nothing, but maybe they have all been spoiled rotten by guys like me .
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:15 am

Programs: TK Elite, BA Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus, IHG Spire AMB, HHonors Diamond
Given rates here are pretty low it doesn't strike me as the best use of points.
Cash rate 31.12. - 01.01.2017 = CHF 1012,50
or 50'000 Points? I've decided to spend Points

P.S.: Still 9+ rooms available on Points
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Cash rate 31.12. - 01.01.2017 = CHF 1012,50
or 50'000 Points? I've decided to spend Points

P.S.: Still 9+ rooms available on Points
Cash rate 2.1.2017 - 4.1.2017 = $830 CHF or a 1-free-night voucher and 60,000 points -- both of which I earned from the Priceless Surprises promo early in 2016.

By far the nicest hotel my wife and I have ever stayed in! All for ~ $9 worth of stamps and ~$2 of 3x5" cards!

Now they just need some snow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.