Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

InterContinental Davos, Switzerland - Master Thread (leaving IC on May 31, 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Davos, Switzerland - Master Thread (leaving IC on May 31, 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by AMDB7
Just bumping this thread to see if there was any clarification on upgrades etc from the hotel as above?
Same question. Will wait a few more days and otherwise will contact the hotel to ask (I need 2 rooms in a couple of weeks).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I just got back and overall had a good stay. As others said, nice rooms, good view, concierge very helpful, transfer into town and back (e.g. to restaurants) if planned a bit ahead, overall staff trying to please.

I did change my room to a paid one as I booked the 215 CHF flash sale rate for Deluxe incl. breakfast and got Club access granted, but as per my conversation with the hotel I was given it as a courtesy and not because it is their policy. Other posters got different answers were Club upgrade on Deluxe room booking was stated as a benefit to be given. YMMV.

Hence I took breakfast at the restaurant and selection and quality is pretty good. The Club Lounge was open, but actually I think it is quite a joke when compared to other leading IC lounges, e.g. BKK, Berlin, Bali, Saigon, etc. Breakfast was only served in the lounge on the last day of our stay and by then I didn't bother. The afternoon offering are a few sweets / cake items of varying tastiness and dinner time drinks consist of some prosecco, Stella Artois beer and you can mix yourself some drinks. Think a trimmed down LH Senator lounge drink offering and you get there. On average 1 lounge staff in attendance, but if busy with a guest don't expect anything to get done / restocked / cleaned up fast. I checked in around 3pm and the carpet in my seating area still had croissants crumbs from that morning breakfast everywhere on it.

Now breakfast in the restaurant was good as mentioned that is after you managed to locate a table and get it cleaned up by one of the stressed out waiters. Don't you dare think that the person welcoming you at the restaurant reception will do any more than make a tick next to your room number. Assign you a table - please you are old enough to do so yourself no? Can't figure out if one of the tables is free and just not cleared, just flag down one of the few wait staff that already are spinning from all the work they got.

Seriously, on Sat and Sun in the week after New Years the table getting part at breakfast was atrocious. Normal waiters try, but were severely short staffed. At least a management level person (blue jacket?) had time to flip through the newspaper. Good for him though I was still looking desperately for a table to sit and eat.

Overall, I found a severe lack of management presence. The GM I never saw in the entire weeks stay, nor any other higher level person from what I could tell. I had a longer exchange before my stay with Guest Relations due to some clarifications and no one from that department, e.g. Guest Relations Officer, welcomed me at all ever during my stay. Did I expect or need that? No, but it happened everywhere else in ICs in similar situations (e.g. Osaka, Bali, Berlin, Berchtesgaden, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, etc.). My Ambassador gift came on day 2 after calling twice and the reason given was too many things to do. Actually I believe them as the front desk staff was always the ones that picked up my "Instant Service" button calls. Go figure?

I requested to share some observations and feedback with a management team member, but there was no interest and no follow up. I actually waited for 45mins in the Club lounge on my 2nd day after a discussion with the front desk who told me that someone was going to stop by, but nothing happened and no one showed up. Great handling of such a situation - haha - but it is quite telling of the leadership or better lack thereof that I experienced.

Don't get me wrong, the hotel is nice and my stay was overall pleasant with lower to mid-level staff trying to cope as best as they could with what I perceived to be severe short staffing in some areas and times paired with lack of,management guidance / direction / presence. If you pay 600-700 CHF a night during high season one should certainly be able to expect more though.

Last edited by demue; Jan 9, 2015 at 10:32 am
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
demue, we should have stayed at the same time - I thought club got much better after Jan 5, when the entire hotel perceivably got less busy.
Club was indeed a disappointment - I wouldn't want to spent 110 SFR for that service and features. Nonetheless, I front desk made sure that we were happy, apparently knowing that service doesn't live up to a 600 SFR standard.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:23 pm

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Since I would be going mid February (super high season) I'm afraid I will not even bother to book the IC Davos.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It may sound odd, but I wouldn't rule out the place even though some things clearly need fixing. The staffing issues have been known since the place opened a year ago and may be a bit more understandable during low season in summer though still not excusable.

There is apparently a new IHG Europe & UK Winter Sale coming up on Jan 16 IIRC and the rates could be as low as starting from 169 € a night in Davos for a Superior room possibly even with breakfast. As mentioned I paid 215 CHF during the last sale for a Deluxe room with breakfast and it was good value at that rate incl. upgrade granted to the Club even though it does leave some things to be desired it was basically free.

Rooms are nice and comfy and view over Davos was nice with sun in the morning and great mountain vistas and the village lights at night. Staff is trying, but are at times overwhelmed. Still nothing awful happened. Some lapses yes and certainly room for improvement in this lofty category of a hotel, but nothing totally off putting. I would stay there again for the right price, but definitely not for rates of 600-800 CHF.

Btw, the Spa area is nice, but may feel a bit crowded at times if it is full. Pools are slightly undersized and the outdoor one is heated, but at 34-35 degrees centigrade does feel a bit to cool for my taste during winter temperatures. After 18:00 the area is kids free. Nice touch and needed.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
demue, we should have stayed at the same time - I thought club got much better after Jan 5, when the entire hotel perceivably got less busy.
Club was indeed a disappointment - I wouldn't want to spent 110 SFR for that service and features. Nonetheless, I front desk made sure that we were happy, apparently knowing that service doesn't live up to a 600 SFR standard.
Hey I didn't realize. We departed on Jan 7 and yes the lounge and the overall hotel were more quiet. Except for some folks from a certain part of the world who seem to think a room or two in the hotel buy them the rights to the entire place, especially the breakfast restaurant where they would be nice and considerate (not ) and talk to each other loudly across tables and in cases half across the restaurant with their kids running amok. Oh well, a big portion of tolerance was needed.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Originally Posted by demue
It may sound odd, but I wouldn't rule out the place even though some things clearly need fixing. The staffing issues have been known since the place opened a year ago and may be a bit more understandable during low season in summer though still not excusable.
Thanks for the latest report demue - I'm booked now for March so will be interesting to see how the service is doing then. I think the hardware of Davos IC looks outstanding, and I have secured a nice room with Club access so I'm really looking forward to my stay, and I've lowered my expectations on the service to avoid disappointment....

Did you go by train? I'm edging towards that method of transport rather than car, but it seems quite expensive; 120CHF (approx €100) per adult return to/from Zurich seems a bit pricey, but the Swiss train website was being a bit cranky when I tried to price the journey so maybe that's not right?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:26 am

I went by train. The way to go in Winter in our case as we were only 2 adults and rental cars were quite expensive plus snow and ice on the roads. SBB has special saver tickets that can be bought up to 14 days in advance and cost around 50% less. I did both ways for price of normal one way (around 110 CHF). Just one thing to remember, if you try to book Airport - Davos - Airport then no saver price. I had to start and end at Zurich HB and almost every train combo was offered throughout the day.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:58 am

Finally got my free nights from ITN and have used them to book here end March- hope there will still be some snow!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:06 am

I went by train. The way to go in Winter in our case as we were only 2 adults and rental cars were quite expensive plus snow and ice on the roads. SBB has special saver tickets that can be bought up to 14 days in advance and cost around 50% less. I did both ways for price of normal one way (around 110 CHF). Just one thing to remember, if you try to book Airport - Davos - Airport then no saver price. I had to start and end at Zurich HB and almost every train combo was offered throughout the day.
Thanks, that sounds a bit better! And did you just purchase the ticket for Airport - Zurich main station - Airport as singles each way on the day?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:58 am

Yes you can buy a 1hr 3 zone ticket from / to the airport and Zurich HB for 6.60 CHF each per person one-way IIRC. We got a 24hrs version (13.20 CHF) on the way there as we stayed a night in ZRH first and you can use all trains, trams, buses with it.

Just be aware that SBB saver tickets can only be bought online or via their phone app. Not at ticket counters nor ticket machines.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:02 pm

Thanks again demue for the really helpful info; will try and bag Saver tickets from SBB 14 days from our travel dates. ^
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:48 pm

I stayed a couple of nights at the IC Davos on points. Overall I thought it was a great value. I used to be a Plat. Amb but these days I am nothing and quite frankly was looking for a good opportunity to get rid of some points.

The hotel is a quality build and architecturally well done, in my opinion. Service-wise I agree with everything being said here, the staff tries hard but there is not nearly enough to go around. I felt sorry for the concierge at times. The Instant Service line twice simply did not answer my call.

One small downside is that the hotel is a little off the beaten track with no direct access to the bus system. They make up for it with shuttles but it requires planning and pre-arranging. I stayed two nights at the Hilton Garden Inn as well. The rooms there are small but the location lends itself to better adhoc exploration.

Still, I would stay at the IC Davos again for the right price which I conside the $200-$250 range but a non-upgraded room.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:51 pm

... Just one thing to remember, if you try to book Airport - Davos - Airport then no saver price. I had to start and end at Zurich HB and almost every train combo was offered throughout the day.
I wish I had known that two weeks ago. I could not figure out why no discounts on the airport - Davos - airport tickets and figured SBB simply doesn't discount. I would have gladly purchased a ticket airport - Zurich HB and then the saver ticket Zurich HB to Davos.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:07 am

Btw, regarding the bus. The Line 4 bus runs down the road from the hotel. The stop is called Stili Park. During the day quite decent timings and you can use the Davos guest card the hotel issues for free. Just in the evenings the bus only run hourly or so and after 19:00 you got to take Linie 1 to get back as it runs the last few stops of Linie 4 then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.