Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Rusell
The third party website is advertising the rate for that much, so even though your not actually booking it through their website, it is still their fault for advertising the wrong price in the first place.
I did have a claim honored some time back when it would appear the room type had been mis-listed by the 3rd party website. (As I recall, they were quoting the sam price as IHG for a standard room, but the description was for a deluxe room).

However the rules do say:-

"All claims are subject to verification by IHG."

Perhaps the BRG dept contacted the website and they confirmed that the room type is mis-described, thus making the claim non-verifiable.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Originally Posted by flo_147
Hey guys, I need your help regarding this issue:

Yesterday I booked Suite "A" at an IC in Europe. After some hours I got an email from them saying they need to check the room type and today I received an email that my claim got approved and I will get the first night free. 30 mins after I got the final approval from the BRG team, they came back to me again and told me that the third party website had a glitch and that they advertised Suite "A" with the price of Suite "B"! The ordinary customer only could see Suite "A" for xyz Euros on the third party website!

So what shall I do now? Seems like they are trying to find ridiculous excuses to NOT honor the room!

What websites that I can't find anything for Europe.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:45 am

The third party website is advertising the rate for that much, so even though your not actually booking it through their website, it is still their fault for advertising the wrong price in the first place.
Yes it is their fault and if you book with them you could hold them responsible for honoring the reservation at the price advertised. But what you are suggesting is that if you don't book with them they should be responsible for IHG's BRG liability even though they have zero input to the program.The third party site is in no way responsible for IHG's BRG program. It is a program aimed at eliminating their business and you expect them to compensate IHG for a program aimed at eliminating third party sites as competition for IHG
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:11 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Does this ever work? Sorry for my rant, but I have tried 8 BRGs and all got denied for IC Alliance Resorts in Las Vegas.

Competing website Reasoning
olotel.com charged in Euros, must be USD
olotels.com foreign website not allowed
onhotels.com cancellation penalty vs. 100% refundable on IC website
expedia.com special last minute sale, next day normal rate so denied
priceline.com opaque website not allowed
weholiday.co.uk foreign website although used toll free 800$ to reserve

This is really frustrating. Maybe we can pm each other when we find something that works since you know, they are probably watching this site!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:17 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
These look like legitimate denials:
Originally Posted by idealflyer
The website MUST charge in the same local currency as the hotel and it has to be a no-penalty cancellation to compare against IC (onhotels charges 10%, right?)

It's allowed, if you can prove the currency charged is the same as the local currency. (Probably isn't, for those sites and that hotel)

I would have tried calling to expedite the claim. Sometimes it works.

You have to make sure they understand you're using the direct booking function at priceline, not the opaque bidding.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
Just had a BRG claim turned down for an upcoming stay at the Crowne Plaza, London the City. Booked it for £129 through the IHG website (without breakfast). Found it for £127 on olotels.com this morning - same room with breakfast.

Claim refused because:

"per the terms and condition of the Guarantee, room prices that include food or beverage items such as breakfast or dinner, entertainment items such as tickets to a show, and/or free local calls, parking or other bundled items will be considered as packages. These package or inclusive rates must be compared to prices with the same type of inclusive items."

That's obviously fair enough if comparing a "with breakfast" rate booked through IHG with a "without breakfast" rate found elsewhere. It's not comparing like with like. It just seems a bit weaselly when applied like this though... it amounts to refusing a claim on the basis that one managed to find a rate that includes more, for less!

If I'd have booked the £145 rate including breakfast with IHG, it seems I'd have qualified.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by SouthWesterner
Just had a BRG claim turned down for an upcoming stay at the Crowne Plaza, London the City. Booked it for £129 through the IHG website (without breakfast). Found it for £127 on olotels.com this morning - same room with breakfast.

Claim refused because:

"per the terms and condition of the Guarantee, room prices that include food or beverage items such as breakfast or dinner, entertainment items such as tickets to a show, and/or free local calls, parking or other bundled items will be considered as packages. These package or inclusive rates must be compared to prices with the same type of inclusive items."

That's obviously fair enough if comparing a "with breakfast" rate booked through IHG with a "without breakfast" rate found elsewhere. It's not comparing like with like. It just seems a bit weaselly when applied like this though... it amounts to refusing a claim on the basis that one managed to find a rate that includes more, for less!

If I'd have booked the £145 rate including breakfast with IHG, it seems I'd have qualified.
If you are quick. The IHG website might allow you to change the booking to a refundable one, which you can then cancel, rebook using the breakfast option, and then redo your BRG.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:58 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Originally Posted by idealflyer
Does this ever work? Sorry for my rant, but I have tried 8 BRGs and all got denied for IC Alliance Resorts in Las Vegas.

Competing website Reasoning

This is really frustrating. Maybe we can pm each other when we find something that works since you know, they are probably watching this site!

I think it's a good idea not to post any sites once they have been used they can't be used again . So these probably will no longer work
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:29 am

Yes, I have done that and the bank did not reject me this time. Hope it works.However, the attitude of IHG is terribly unacceptable.
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Did you try depositing the check at your home branch? That's what I would do. Just appeal to your branch manager. If the check has your name (+1 extra letter) and your address on it, they should be able to cash it.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:27 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Refunds of Advance Payments

Can I get an opinion of everyone.

When you get an advance payment refunded from a BRG, does anyone else have problems with foreign currency exchange rates. I loose about $50 just between charging my credit card then refunding it.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Can I get an opinion of everyone.

When you get an advance payment refunded from a BRG, does anyone else have problems with foreign currency exchange rates. I loose about $50 just between charging my credit card then refunding it.
From BRG or from the hotel? If the hotel refund you the $ you'll have to get the hotel to refund you the lost due to currency exchange.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:56 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by nacho
From BRG or from the hotel? If the hotel refund you the $ you'll have to get the hotel to refund you the lost due to currency exchange.
From the hotel, CP Brussels was good when they did it, they wire transferred the exact money i was charged including the exchange rate fees. But all the rest just refunds you the original rate and when I show them that i'm still out of pocket from the refund they ignore my emails.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the hotel, CP Brussels was good when they did it, they wire transferred the exact money i was charged including the exchange rate fees. But all the rest just refunds you the original rate and when I show them that i'm still out of pocket from the refund they ignore my emails.
In a way, they don't owe you more than the actual amount in EUR (their currency) + the exchange rate fee. I don't think they are obliged to refund you 'more' than necessary, since they are not controlling the currency fluctuation - what if it's the other way round that they have to refund you more because EUR is strong?

This is all part of BRG, sorry to hear that they are not willing to do more, but I don't think there is much more you can really do.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
In a way, they don't owe you more than the actual amount in EUR (their currency) + the exchange rate fee. I don't think they are obliged to refund you 'more' than necessary, since they are not controlling the currency fluctuation - what if it's the other way round that they have to refund you more because EUR is strong?

This is all part of BRG, sorry to hear that they are not willing to do more, but I don't think there is much more you can really do.
It was the other way around at 1 Hotel but because they charged me then refunded me then charged again, I ended up loosing money again in the currancy fluctuation. There are so many problems when you do the advanced purchase on BRG I have found, i'm always chasing them for a refund.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was the other way around at 1 Hotel but because they charged me then refunded me then charged again, I ended up loosing money again in the currancy fluctuation. There are so many problems when you do the advanced purchase on BRG I have found, i'm always chasing them for a refund.
Yes, it is - since they have every right to charge you $ when you book. It's part of BRG. I was lucky that the hotels refunded me the difference in currency exchange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.