Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:00 pm

Is Yuupon rate valid for BRG?

Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by koolr
Is Yuupon rate valid for BRG?

Thanks.
Does it match the T&C? Same currency etc.? If it matches and everyone else is right, then why not give it a try provided that IHG doesn't have prepaid rate.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any one knows when the BRG team will get back to you after you sent the online form?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 1:53 am

Hi Folks!
Could you please clarify for me what does it mean "the same currency" to valid my claim?
Currency have to be the same when showing the price or when charging my credit card?
E.g. if I wat to book a hotel in Singapore i MUST monitor only singapore's booking sites (*.com.sg). Am I wright?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:25 am

Programs: IC Amb, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, EY E+, UA*G, BA Gold
Terms and Conditions relaxed due to Advertising Standards Agency decision

As a result of a complaint to the Advertising Standards Agency in the United Kingdom, IHG's Best Price Guarantee promotion was deemed to be in breach of the legal Advertising Code.

Hence, the thirty day restriction has been removed. The new terms read:

"Free Night Restrictions. Once a valid claim has been made and approved by IHG for a specific date, no further claims by the same person will be accepted for the same date. In the event of a valid claim, reservations are non-transferable after the claim is found to be valid, and the name on the reservation must remain the same as when the claim is verified."

One thing I want to add though, please don't abuse the programme now that the restriction has been removed. Yes, you could live in a hotel for 365 days a year but I would hate to see that the deal gets removed sooner rather than later as a result of abuse -- although I'm thinking the corporate departments will just be tighter on hotels. After all, it is a good offer.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/ihg/rew...rms-conditions

Last edited by Errata; Aug 18, 2012 at 2:48 am
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:33 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Errata
Hence, the thirty day restriction has been removed.
How about that!

I notice that this paragraph is different as well:

Matching Terms. All terms for the room price, including, but not limited to pre-payment, deposit or other requirements must be equal to terms found on an IHG website to be used for comparison. For example, when you book a room that may be cancelled without penalty on an IHG website, you may not compare it to a room with a pre-paid or non-refundable price on a non-IHG website. The Best Price Guarantee is not available for bookings on websites where the booking details are unknown until after purchase.
That sounds much less restrictive. Sounds like those little differences (like 6pm vs. noon cancellation) might not be an obstacle anymore - just pre-payment/deposit vs. not, and non-refundable vs. refundable.

Or am I reading too much into that? It says "equal" but the examples quoted are very broad.

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Aug 18, 2012 at 2:43 am
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
That sounds much less restrictive. Sounds like those little differences (like 6pm vs. noon cancellation) might not be an obstacle anymore - just pre-payment/deposit vs. not, and non-refundable vs. refundable
Interesting, try it out and let us know! I don't have any requirements for hotels before the Advance Purchase booking horizon at the moment.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:44 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Interesting, try it out and let us know! I don't have any requirements for hotels before the Advance Purchase booking horizon at the moment.
My next attempt will likely be next month. But surely someone else will try this week!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Babka
Hi Folks!
Could you please clarify for me what does it mean "the same currency" to valid my claim?
Currency have to be the same when showing the price or when charging my credit card?
E.g. if I wat to book a hotel in Singapore i MUST monitor only singapore's booking sites (*.com.sg). Am I wright?
Yes, if you want a hotel in singapore, then you need to find sites that are from there to compare the prices.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[B][SIZE="3"]One thing I want to add though, please don't abuse the programme now that the restriction has been removed. Yes, you could live in a hotel for 365 days a year but I would hate to see that the deal gets removed sooner rather than later as a result of abuse -- although I'm thinking the corporate departments will just be tighter on hotels. After all, it is a good offer.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/ihg/rew...rms-conditions
+1

IHG knows what people are thinking:

IHG reserves the right to cancel a previously awarded free night and to cancel the lower prices for the rest of the nights of a multi-night reservation if it is found that a customer has knowingly violated or circumvented the Best Price Guarantee Terms & Conditions.
So be careful. I got 4 claims approved but I decided to make sure that my stays are as far apart as possible (leaving a 4-5 days gap at least). Also I make sure that Mr.Nacho and my bookings has at least 1 day apart.

Last edited by nacho; Aug 18, 2012 at 3:07 am
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
How about that!

I notice that this paragraph is different as well:

That sounds much less restrictive. Sounds like those little differences (like 6pm vs. noon cancellation) might not be an obstacle anymore - just pre-payment/deposit vs. not, and non-refundable vs. refundable.

Or am I reading too much into that? It says "equal" but the examples quoted are very broad.
i think the time of cancellation is still a factor. It says it must be on the same terms... cancellation the night before vs 6pm on the day of arrival is not the same.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:50 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Terms and Conditions relaxed due to Advertising Standards Agency decision
This must come as a surprise to the faction of posters here who believe that IHG can come up with whatever terms they choose and advertise something completely different.

I wonder, is the "same currency" clause still included?

HTB.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by htb
I wonder, is the "same currency" clause still included?

HTB.
It is: specific terms are not matters over which the ASA has a purview, Any gripes about terms and conditions or the way in which they are enforced are referred, in the UK, to Trading Standards.

The adjudication was that the previous thirty day limitation was a major component of the offer, yet not mentioned in any online or tangible promotional material. Therefore I believe that IHG had the choice to either mention this in their advertising, or remove the clause completely.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:56 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
The adjudication was that the previous thirty day limitation was a major component of the offer, yet not mentioned in any online or tangible promotional material. Therefore I believe that IHG had the choice to either mention this in their advertising, or remove the clause completely.
I believe the "same currency" clause falls into the same category. I had cases of 170€ vs 70€ -- but the currency was different. The advertisement only refers to "lower rate".

HTB.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:43 am

Thanks Errata for the update. Any link to the ruling/reporting on the ruling?

The currency clause is still a shambles:

The room price on the non-IHG website must be available in the currency of the hotel.

The room price must be quoted, booked, and paid for in the currency of the hotel.
Well guess what - even IHG websites don't comply with this clause

eg www.priorityclub.com qoutes prices for the IC Sao Paulo and IC Buenos Aires (and multiple other properties around the world) in USD which is not the currency of the hotel. You are quoted and you book in USD but at check-out you pay in the local currency.

According to the above Ts+Cs eg for the IC Buenos Aires:

They will only accept a claim if the 3rd party website quotes and books the room in Argentine Pesos (the currency of the hotel) even though IHG only quotes and books in USD. Even prepaid rates quoted in USD by IHG are converted to Pesos and charged to your card as such by the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.