Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
The original t&c were actually mis-worded and stated that the IHG site had to be equal or less restrictive than the 3rd party site. However the fact that they have just dropped the "less restrictive" words rather than correct the sentence can hardly been seen as accidental. As now stated it is totally perverse that you can NOT make a claim on a 3rd party flex booking against a pre-paid IHG booking.

The dropping of the 30 day rule (which was previously a 7 day rule) is however a major easing of the t&c
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by tangey
The original t&c were actually mis-worded and stated that the IHG site had to be equal or less restrictive than the 3rd party site. However the fact that they have just dropped the "less restrictive" words rather than correct the sentence can hardly been seen as accidental. As now stated it is totally perverse that you can NOT make a claim on a 3rd party flex booking against a pre-paid IHG booking.

The dropping of the 30 day rule (which was previously a 7 day rule) is however a major easing of the t&c
The real problem with dropping “less restrictive” is that most 3rd party sites have different cancellation times than IHG. For example, Kayak’s reservation system typically makes you cancel by 12:00 AM the day of, Booking.com makes you cancel by 10:00 PM the day before and so-forth. There are very few “equals” with respect to the restrictions.

And to piggy-back on what you said, I don’t understand why IHG won’t let you book a flexi-rate and submit a claim from a 3rd party that is less than what IHG offers as a non-refundable rate.

Example:

IHG NR: $200.00, Flexi $250.00
3rd Party Flexi: $190.00

If the rate I found, which is a flex-rate, is lower than what you offer for a more restrictive pre-paid rate, then why do I have to risk booking the NR rate with IHG and get my claim denied? $190.00 is less than both the NR and Flexi rate that you advertise for the room, ergo, my claim is valid despite the terms not being equal.

There’s a 0% chance of me submitting a BRG claim unless the IHG site only has flexi-rates.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Which is an easier way to score a BRG?

1. 3rd less restrictive term compared to IHG but you can only file 1 claim per month; or
2. every single has to match (impossible if they challenge you on the 6pm cancellation term) but you can score as many BRGs as you can find.

Personally I prefer no.1 because you can hardly find any equal terms (even though I got some claims through but it was because the comparison site forgot to stop the discount but now it's closed).

IHG has cancellable rates, but they won't show up until less than 1 week before your intended check-in date.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, I guess I can't complain too much. I just scored another free night at the IC Boston
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by denCSA
Well, I guess I can't complain too much. I just scored another free night at the IC Boston
Have you got the rate adjusted? And the terms are equal between the 3rd party site and IHG.com?

I have been waiting for mine for a week still no news from them.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nacho; Aug 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:22 pm

I am staying tommorow nite at IC Boston on a BRG in a club level King
Old Aug 24, 2012, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robertwcook16
I am staying tommorow nite at IC Boston on a BRG in a club level King
Congrats

I think IC Boston has appeared on this thread quite a few times - and somehow IHG hasn't killed sites that sell their rooms cheaper. I'll definitely look into it if I ever go to Boston
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:02 am
Used to be highman123

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Just got a BRG approved for HI Dusseldorf.

Question: I'm looking at The ICs in Seoul - booking.com does not have competitive rates so where can I find rates in KRW?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The real question is what BRG response times will be like going forward.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:31 pm

Both of my BRGs for September (submitted this afternoon) were approved, the new terms are a huge improvement in my book. One of them used a very low comparison rate with cancellation rules in between the IHG AP rate and the IHG flexible rate.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Both of my BRGs for September (submitted this afternoon) were approved, the new terms are a huge improvement in my book. One of them used a very low comparison rate with cancellation rules in between the IHG AP rate and the IHG flexible rate.
So IHG doesn't enforce the 'booking terms must be equal' term? If they don't then it's a great news.

Did you book IHG AP rate?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by nacho
So IHG doesn't enforce the 'booking terms must be equal' term? If they don't then it's a great news.

Did you book IHG AP rate?

Thanks in advance!
At this point I've submitted 3 in the last 24 hours all of which were approved. One was AP to AP, one was ~flexible to IHG AP and the final one was flexible to flexible (both sites had AP's for less than flexible). I think in practice the terms just need to be ~equal or more generous.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At this point I've submitted 3 in the last 24 hours all of which were approved. One was AP to AP, one was ~flexible to IHG AP and the final one was flexible to flexible (both sites had AP's for less than flexible). I think in practice the terms just need to be ~equal or more generous.
You must be lucky because you are not supposed to get through with 'flex vs flex' when IHG has AP rate available. The T&C stated very clearly that you have to book the lowest rate available. I got a rejection once for that reason.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by nacho
You must be lucky because you are not supposed to get through with 'flex vs flex' when IHG has AP rate available. The T&C stated very clearly that you have to book the lowest rate available. I got a rejection once for that reason.
I thought that might be an issue based on what I read here, but I thought it was worth trying before booking a $300 AP rate. In this case both sites had AP and flexible rates with nearly identical terms and the competing site was cheaper than IHG across the board.

When you got the rejection were the terms a close match? Was there a matching rate on the competing site cheaper than the IHG AP?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought that might be an issue based on what I read here, but I thought it was worth trying before booking a $300 AP rate. In this case both sites had AP and flexible rates with nearly identical terms and the competing site was cheaper than IHG across the board.

When you got the rejection were the terms a close match? Was there a matching rate on the competing site cheaper than the IHG AP?
The thing is I'll never book at $300 AP rate and then file BRG. The terms are the same when I got the rejection, they simply said I have to book the lowest rate and since I haven't they rejected my claim. By then they have already killed the site.

Also IHG's AP rate has a 10% refund, so any BRG agent can use this to go against any 3rd party site with AP rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.