Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jigri2003
Some info:

Prepaid meal plan rates as of Feb 2015 per post 1305: (breakfast price updated as of Jan 2020)

Breakfast: 4860 xpf (tax incl) per person per day
Half board (breakfast and a 3-courses dinner): 13 053 xpf (tax incl) per person per day
Full board (breakfast, a 2-courses lunch and a 3-courses dinner): 17 632 xpf (tax incl) per person per day.

Breakfast 50% discount: available only at check in time if it is taken for the entire stay. It does not apply for half board and full board. Post 1376

Guaranteed Upgrade Costs as of January 2015 per post 1293

Emerald to Sapphire: 15,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond: 25,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond Otemanu: 35,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night
Emerald to Diamond End of Pontoon: 45,000 XPF + 14% taxes per night

Full prepayment prior to arrival required

Direct Boat Transfers to/from Airport One-way: 7334 XPF (updated Dec 2019) (about 15 minutes). Resort will email you to arrange this ahead of time if desired.

Boat transfer from the Airport is not mandatory despite what any hotel emails might imply to the contrary. It's possible to take the free Air Tahiti shuttle to Vaitape (15 minutes), followed by a taxi to the IC Le Moana for 2000XPF (15 minutes), then the IC's shuttle between Le Moana and Thalasso for 3390 XPF per person one way (updated Dec 2019) (15 minutes). If all transfers go smoothly, the journey could be as short as an hour, or longer than two hours if you're unlucky.

Boat Times (as of Oct 2016, and current as of Jan 2020)

Leaving Le Moana:
7:45am
8:45am
11:45am*
12:45pm
1:45pm
4:30pm
5:30pm*
6:30pm
8:30pm
10:00pm

Leaving Thalasso:
8:15am
9:15am*
12:15pm
1:15pm
2:15pm*
5:00pm
6:00pm
7:00pm
9:30pm
10:30pm

* Boat times with a * can connect with the bus shuttle between IC Le Moana and Vaitape town, as shown below:

Bus Shuttles between IC Le Moana and Vaitape town:

Depart IC Le Moana:
9:45am
2:45pm

Depart Vaitape:
11:15am
5:00pm

The bus shuttle costs 1150 XPF RT/person.

Note: There is no ATM at the Thalasso. The closest ATMs are in Vaitape, the main town where the airport ferry stops. However, both IC Le Moana and Thalasso will give you a "cash advance" on your credit card for a fee of 5%. The transaction will post as a purchase.

XPF is also available at the airport in Pappeete from several ATMs.
POST 1795

Resort Email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

IC Thalasso Bora Bora Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
But you don't have the new credit card. I agree with DUflyer and avoid one night stays. And no need to merge reservations.

Why IC Tahiti on nights 1 and 9? I understand one night due to late arrival to PPT or early departure out of PPT.
Flight from LAX gets into PPT at 9:30 PM on the first night. I don't think any flights/ferries go to Moorea after ~5 PM. And as for the credit card I would sign up if it made sense for the trip.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by 336
I’m with Trooper. Same Thalasso villa at Moana would be beter than Thalasso.
Totally agree with you on this!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by floridatraveler90
Flight from LAX gets into PPT at 9:30 PM on the first night. I don't think any flights/ferries go to Moorea after ~5 PM. And as for the credit card I would sign up if it made sense for the trip.

Correct on the Moorea transfer. You have to stay on Tahiti for the night.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:24 pm

I am going to all 4 of the IC French Polynesian hotels this upcoming summer for my honeymoon. Kind of concerned with some of the changes to the IHG credit cards. Due to the fact that I will be spending almost 500k IHG points I was expecting to get the 10% rebate for points spent. I haven't seen any documentation that this is going away but wanted to see if anyone heard anything. My second question is related to the benefit of the new card for 4th night free. Currently, I have 3 consecutive nights at Thalasso sandwiched between two single night stays at Moana. Every single night of this trip is a separate reservation. If I am able to secure another night at Thalasso in place of one of those Moana nights has anyone had any experience merging reservations from IHG customer service? I would think I would take the hit on the nights going up to 70k but would give me the 4th night free if I am able to merge the reservations. Lastly, looking at the itinerary below is there any changes anyone would recommend? Doing the ferry from Tahiti to Moorea then the Air Tahiti flight from Moorea to Bora Bora.
Night 1-IC Tahiti 40k

Night 2-Moorea 40k
Night 3-Moorea 40k
Night 4-Moana 60k
Night 5-Thalasso 60k
Night 6-Thalasso 60k
Night 7-Thalasso 60k
Night 8-Moana 60k
Night 9-IC Tahiti 40k
Night 10-Crowne Plaza LAX 30k (due to late flight back to the US)
I agree with the others, that one night stays are a pain. But if you like them, what does it matter what we like?

We really liked the island of Moorea. The boat ride over we found to a fun “add-on” to the vacation. I would keep the Moorea stay, but would try and change your Night 4. Either add another night to Moorea or in a perfect world change it to Thalasso.

Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by delder

Correct on the Moorea transfer. You have to stay on Tahiti for the night.

I have the same conundrum, flying in late on a Wednesday, and have to lose a night in Airbnb in Tahiti instead of going ton Moorea - which has availability for that night! Can I swim there? ;-)
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:45 pm

Flight from LAX gets into PPT at 9:30 PM on the first night. I don't think any flights/ferries go to Moorea after ~5 PM.
Understood for night 1. Why IC Tahiti on night 9? Unless you have an early morning flight but it should arrive LAX to catch a late flight.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:33 pm

I have a 7:30 am flight the following day out of PPT
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:23 am

I have a 7:30 am flight the following day out of PPT
Got it...have a great time!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
How about the first two nights at the IC Tahiti in an OWB using an Ambassador certificate (book Panoramic lagoon room), and then the next two nights at the Moana?
IC Tahiti is really nice when you are in an OWB, not so nice in a normal room. I thought the water and the snorkelling in Moorea is not very special compared to Bora Bora. Of course the mountains are spectacular, but you are not going to FP for the mountains. What is very nice about the IC Moorea is the incredibly relaxing atmosphere there and the show, but make sure you don't stay in the main building.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by DUflyer
I thought the water and the snorkelling in Moorea is not very special compared to Bora Bora. Of course the mountains are spectacular, but you are not going to FP for the mountains. What is very nice about the IC Moorea is the incredibly relaxing atmosphere there and the show, but make sure you don't stay in the main building.
There is 0 snorking around the Thalasso OWB, and near 0 around Moana OWB. From Moana you can reach a point near the Sofitel by kayak where you have great snorking, but nowhere near the hotel.

Snorking at Moorea is incredible. Even while standing on the deck of your OWB you can already see dozens of fish and coral + the occasional lost stingray or shark.

Each of the hotels has it merits, but snorkeling in Bora Bora is not one of them.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by 336
There is 0 snorking around the Thalasso OWB, and near 0 around Moana OWB. From Moana you can reach a point near the Sofitel by kayak where you have great snorking, but nowhere near the hotel.

Snorking at Moorea is incredible. Even while standing on the deck of your OWB you can already see dozens of fish and coral + the occasional lost stingray or shark.

Each of the hotels has it merits, but snorkeling in Bora Bora is not one of them.
Maybe I went to the wrong snorkelling places in Moorea and you to the wrong ones in Bora Bora.
In Moorea I was at the IC and the Hilton and both were not good when I was there, Bora Bora was incredible (of course not around the Thalasso).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:04 pm

Just returned from 4 night award stay as a Plat Ambassador. Spent two prior nights at Le Moana (award stay)...originally had 5 nights at Thalasso but dropped one night to spend an add'l night at Le Moana. Three of us total, myself and two kids ages 12 and 9. We utilized the late checkout at Le Moana to ensure our room at Thalasso would be ready when we arrived. Checkout/check-in/boat transfer was seamless and well-coordinated.

Bungalow
We were upgraded from Emerald to Sapphire a few days prior to check-in. Bungalow 208, no view of Mt Otemanu but also no view of other bungalows either...I didn't mind it at all. The hut was close to the end of the ponton; water about 5 ft plus deep. We utilized the golf carts all but one time (sun/heat was intense; rained maybe 15 mins total during our entire stay); plus kids enjoyed riding backwards on the golf cart. The bungalow was fabulous thought it could use a few USB outlets, and accessing the toilet via the closet was odd.

Food
Not as expensive as I thought. Although my 12 year old daughter should have been charged as an adult but never was. Food is about 50% less for children under 12. We weren't told about the 50% discount on breakfast but we asked and received it. Ate every meal onsite; never ordered room service. Around the 3rd day, we got tired of the same food; menus don't change and food offerings across the restaurants were similar. Not every restaurant was open daily. At least there was a bbg dinner buffet for 9,400 XPF/pp.

Service
Service was hit or miss across the board, French or locals. The French were cordial and professional but didn't get the sense of warmth and welcoming like I did with the locals (this was apparent coming from Le Moana where more locals are employed). Pool boys were awesome; interacted much with the kids...also got lots of freebies from them such as fresh coconuts and the Tahitian raw tuna dish.

Miscellaneous
We didn't receive the welcome fruit amenity...maybe because we were given a platter of 6 or 7 snacks for the kids (gummies, candy bars and M&Ms) instead. Also received a nice resort beach/pool tote. Every day, we received some goodies; one day each kid received a custom back chocolate chip cookie with their names in chocolate, another day we received fresh strawberry crème pie and another day pancakes with strawberries.

Bottled water was plentiful...ended up with over a dozen of complementary bottle water, lol.

Daily stingray feeding was cool. Snorkeling lagoon near bridge was just ok.

We were invited to an IHG member/Ambassador cocktail party. Spent about 20 mins taking to GM Stephane...really nice guy. Thanked him for daily goodies and hospitality. My boy asked for more gummies and he said he would try...he saw us at the pool the next day and gave us two more bags of gummies. Stephane mentioned that about a dozen huts were under repair/maintenance due to biblical storms in February.

There were a few errors on our bill which were corrected (or not corrected if an expense was omitted). Other than that, checkout and transfer to airport was smooth.

That's it for now. Had a great stay and look forward to returning.

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 9, 2018 at 4:08 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by 336
Yep, zero snorkeling at Thalasso OWB. We saw quite a bit of fish and even a stingray from our Moana OWB..we were in hut 71 off the southern pontoon...I thought the snorkeling there was similar to the snorkeling at the Thalasso lagoon by the chapel.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by DUflyer
Maybe I went to the wrong snorkelling places in Moorea and you to the wrong ones in Bora Bora.
In Moorea I was at the IC and the Hilton and both were not good when I was there, Bora Bora was incredible (of course not around the Thalasso).
There may also be some confusion as to what someone is considering as "there" when referring to "where" they snorkel. Meaning, someone may be talking about snorkeling (in general) is better around one island over another. While another may be giving an opinion on the quality of snorkeling right around the resort in question.

I will give you my thoughts....

In relation to snorkeling around the rooms at Thalasso, unless you really really love sand, no one could ever say the snorkeling is anything but marginal. Great visibility. But 100+ feet of sand looks just like 10 feet of sand...expanded. There are a few coral heads in the lagoon by the chapel and a couple fish around them, but nothing special. Not even worth getting wet in my opinion. But I have been snorkeling/diving for 35 years so I may be a little jaded.

Now take a day trip around the area with someone like Pure Snorkeling (cheap plug) and you will be amazed at how great the snorkeling is in Bora Bora. The diversity of sea life (large/small) and corals is amazing to see! Mantas, sharks, spotted eagle rays, eels, dolphins, turtles and thousands and thousands of fish. NEVER have I seen so much in one day. You almost get whip-lash trying to see it all. Some of the best snorkeling I have ever done in my life!

Moorea on the other hand had amazing snorkeling right of the beach in front of the IC hotel. Just head out toward shark-ray alley and you will be very impressed. Not as many fish or coral life as a day-trip in Bora Bora, but hands down MUCH better than around Thalasso. We also snorkeled right off our room on the 'back-side' of the resort, near the dolphin pens. Very nice! Lots of fish life and corals. Just be careful of boats coming to see the dolphins! One of the other perks staying at the IC Moorea is you see when shark-ray alley is less crowded. Several times a day the tour groups invade the area in mass. But there are many times (in between tour schedules) that the area is almost empty. You are just off the beach and can grab a kayak and be out there in minutes and have the place mostly to yourself.

As always, opinions vary and your results may too.....

We are going back this Summer. For those that had good/great snorkeling off either Bora Boa IC can you be specific as to where you were? We will be spending several days at each resort and would welcome any tips on how to improve on past experiences.

Thanks
Dave
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:56 pm

Excellent summary Dave, thanks. A snorkelling trip in Bora Bora is a must do, particularly one that goes outside the lagoon.

When we were in Moorea the water had almost no visibility for four days, while in Bora Bora it was crystal clear. That was independent of whether it was sunny or cloudy. Maybe it was just bad luck for us, sorry for giving the wrong impression. We had the best resort snorkelling at the Conrad in Bora Bora.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.