Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American AA vs. United UA [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Originally Posted by midnightinharlem
Thanks Tom. What confuses me is the top of "complimentary upgrades". Is this separate from the 500-mile upgrades?

Yes, technically it is separate, and it depends on the fare class. If you purchase a full-fare Y-class ticket, you can request an upgrade without the use of 500-mile stickers. I've only ever once traveled on a Y-class ticket, and my company paid for it. There was no first class availability.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by SMFlagg
Yes, technically it is separate, and it depends on the fare class. If you purchase a full-fare Y-class ticket, you can request an upgrade without the use of 500-mile stickers. I've only ever once traveled on a Y-class ticket, and my company paid for it. There was no first class availability.
Got it. What about upgrades to exit row seats and first class seats when noone has paid for the seats or upgrades? Do those go to EXP/PLT/GLD (in that order) or do they sit empty?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by midnightinharlem
Got it. What about upgrades to exit row seats and first class seats when noone has paid for the seats or upgrades? Do those go to EXP/PLT/GLD (in that order) or do they sit empty?
Golds can book an emergency exit row in economy. They can also book in the section up front with extra legroom (MCE), though that's coming to an end on December 31 and we'll have to wait and see if AA extends it into 2014 (not sure if those seats would include emergency exit rows--if I had to guess I'd say they do).

AA will let seats fly empty up front if upgrades are not requested/supported. The only ones that get upgraded without supporting it with an upgrade instrument are EXPs and those in full fare coach (I tend to forget about that group as I never buy full fare tickets).
Old Sep 2, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3 MM, HH Gold, SPG Plat
UA 1k vs AA EXP

have been on the verge of moving from AA (been EXP for 12 yrs now) to UA due to their direct flights from EDI and GLA & the awards on BA not really being worth it due to the BA taxes.

flying from the West Coast through New York doesnt really seem appealing, better to go through London ironically as you get home faster. LA/SEA/SFO-EDI alot better through LHR than EWR.

Which airline is the most family friendly?

how much more do you have to co-pay roughly to enter the UA SWU lottery? why does their system seem less generous than AAs on SWUs.

Are UAs planes quite new? how does their fleet/safety compare to AA?

Where do you think things are heard with the AA/US merger? what happens to AA if it doesnt go through?

any thoughts from frequent T/A flyers who fly to the regions are much appreciated.

many thanks
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyingscots
how much more do you have to co-pay roughly to enter the UA SWU lottery?
It depends on the route you're flying and what time of year. Using a sample one week round trip Oct 1-8 SFO-LHR, a "W" fare is $218 more than the cheapest UA fare in the market. Change the route to SFO-SYD, and that "W" fare is $501 more (though keep in mind AA does not fly to Australia). Change that Sydney trip to a few days before Christmas, peak season to Australia, and the "W" fare is the cheapest available fare, the same as a "V" fare in that market. You pretty much have to check the various time periods and routes you'll be traveling to sort out how much extra, if anything, it's going to cost to use the UA systemwides.

why does their system seem less generous than AAs on SWUs.
Part of that may be that UA has a more extensive route network than AA and feel they can command the premium fare difference. You can't fly AA metal to Sydney or Amsterdam, for instance.

Until about a dozen years ago, UA systemwides could be used on any fare. I regularly used them to Australia and Europe as a 1K without any buy-ups to higher fares. I always buy rock bottom fares. Then, one year UA came along and required a minimum "H" fare, and after the uproar on that change dropped them down to "W" where they remain today. It's less generous than what they had in the 90s but more generous than the "H" fare restriction that was in place one year.

I've only been with AA since 2002 and the only change there was to include some fares that could be upgraded with systemwides that were previously excluded. I recall there was a certain fare to South America you could not upgrade on, but that was removed a couple years ago. Right now they can be used on any published fare subject to availability, just like UA's are subject to availability. There are no published fare exclusions.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
It is important to bear in mind that the lowest economy fare on AA is sometimes more expensive than offered by other airlines. See:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:11 pm

UA 1k vs AA EXP

have been on the verge of moving from AA (been EXP for 12 yrs now) to UA due to their direct flights from EDI and GLA & the awards on BA not really being worth it due to the BA taxes.
One thing you didn't mention is whether you're going to be able to meet the new $10,000 spending floor for 1K. If you're not spending that much, and I believe that dollar figure will not include taxes as part of your fare, 1K may not be in the cards for you. It certainly is not for me at that price point.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, 3 MM, HH Gold, SPG Plat
American AA vs. United UA [Consolidated]

Many thanks Tom. I was unaware of the 10k minimum. I would do about 8 t/a round trips per yr at about $1000 each, then over $2k to europe and around the USA. Does the $10k have to be on UA metal? Is the rule hard and fast? The taxes arent included, right? I wish AA had the routes into the UK - would make it a lot easier! What's the United fleet like? Especially the 757s into Scotland? Thanks again

Last edited by flyingscots; Sep 3, 2013 at 12:31 am
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Golds can book an emergency exit row in economy. They can also book in the section up front with extra legroom (MCE), though that's coming to an end on December 31 and we'll have to wait and see if AA extends it into 2014 (not sure if those seats would include emergency exit rows--if I had to guess I'd say they do).

AA will let seats fly empty up front if upgrades are not requested/supported. The only ones that get upgraded without supporting it with an upgrade instrument are EXPs and those in full fare coach (I tend to forget about that group as I never buy full fare tickets).
Thanks Tom. This was a very helpful summary.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:44 am

Does the $10k have to be on UA metal? Is the rule hard and fast? The taxes arent included, right?
There's a lot of questions about what counts for "spend" and what doesn't count, and UA hasn't provided all the answers. I'd suggest you read through the master thread (at least the first page where a lot of questions, both answered and unanswered, have been consolidated):
Starting in 2014: Changes to Premier qualification

Also info on what counts is on the UA website where they indicate "base fare and carrier imposed surcharges" will be what the total spend is primarily calculated on and there are carrier restrictions. There is a lot to digest and you're better off reading all these links to make sense of it as I don't pretend to know all the answers on this new program (which AA has not matched so far).
http://www.mileageplusupdates.com/

I haven't set foot on a UA aircraft since they eliminated the 1MM benefits I had worked for two years ago so can't tell you much about their current fleet. They do seem to have a lot of 747 mechanicals, particularly to Australia, and there are two master threads covering those delays. The Australia flights are due to be replaced with 777s.

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2013]

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:07 pm

UA or AA from NYC instead of Delta?

I will end up this year without about 90K MQM on Delta. My company has re-prioritized its favored airlines with Delta falling to the bottom, unless it is cheaper, which is rarer and rarer. I fly from the NYC area, but prefer not to fly from EWR. My main trips are to SFO (monthly), BNA, MEM, MCI, ORD, MSP. I need to choose a new airline to focus my effort and money on. I should be able to get a status match. What do people recommend? I realize this is odd on a Delta thread, but I like the Delta FF program so I figure those who also like might have a more objective view of UA or AA programs.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Personally, I don't find UA very appealing and feel they are noticeably inferior in-flight and in terms of service to both AA and DL. Given, as well, your preference to avoid EWR, I just don't see them as overly compelling.

AA is fine, though, and some things like their domestic F product can be a bit better than DL. But, in general, I find DL service to be superior, if not that superior. AA still does the sticker-based upgrades for those less than 100k miles, which can be annoying, but others feel that allows for better, targeted upgrade strategies. The bigger downside would be that I don't think you will be able to get to MEM or MCI without connecting.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:41 pm

Thanks Pbarnette. Any thoughts on general availability of upgrades on AA? I used to travel AA with my boss who was exec platinum. He was usually upgraded, but I was always amazed at how many other exec platinums there were and felt that status below that didn't get you anywhere. Just a perception? Or same as everywhere?

Any thoughts on the pending merger with US Air and how that might affect the rewards program for the next couple of years?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:59 pm

if you want to use the miles for your personal travel or for your family, I think UA miles worth more than AA. but it is totally up to you. But honestly, EWR has more flights than Lga/jfk AA combined offered.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why is your employer dispreferring DL? Is there any hope of getting an exception based on your travel patterns? With DL improving service and facilities at both LGA and JFK, it looks to me like with the exception of ORD, your destinations are better served by DL. For example, I can't imagine choosing to take UA or AA for NYC-MSP. You're looking at fewer frequencies, smaller planes, connections through ORD rather than non stops, etc. and in the case of AA, no lounge at MSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.