Wiki Posts
Search

American AA vs. United UA [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:00 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by azepine00
I liek AA however IMO the only reason those goodies survived is recent AA bankruptcy and desperate efforts to keep the elites (think of all those unprecedented staus matches etc)
No doubt there were a lot of happy UA flyers back then (and a handful of grumpy AA ones complaining---I wasn't one of those). I don't know if it was desperation or creative marketing with the 1K status matches. I lean towards the marketing side when UA was at a low point in terms of operational issues and AA just saw the opportunity to grab top tier flyers at little cost (basically the cost of issuing systemwides and the opportunity to hopefully sell more high revenue fares to business travelers). AA did have some labor issues for a few weeks but I think that was 6 months after the start of UA matches which date back a whole year now. Don't seem to see much discussion of UA to AA matches these days so they may be gone now.

Now, if you're saying they didn't change the systemwide terms during bankruptcy because they'd risk loss of elites, particularly business travelers, I could see that possibility, but then I don't think they'd want to alienate more top tier flyers down the line and eliminate them late this year, or severely restrict them, and lose the new flyers that have moved over from UA or other flyers that have been with them for years. They surely won't lose me with a systemwide change as I didn't use my UA systemwides because of the buy-up (gave away 7 of 9 my last full year at 1K), so I'd have the remaining EXP benefits to balance that out (domestic upgrades, international lounge access) and those would lean in AA's favor. Add in my reward redemption patterns with both Cathay F and Qantas business coming up--carriers I really enjoy flying across the Pacific.

From what I've read the earliest we're going to see anything is last quarter of 2013, so there will be a lot of speculation in the months ahead. Certainly a great opportunity for both UA and AA flyers to spell out the details as to why they prefer one program over the other.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp
There hasn't been an AA/US merger pending officially for 10 years now.
Did you want to comment about either AA or UA's program? Which one works better for you? Do you have elite status at one or both?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:05 am

AA As better choice?

Originally Posted by tom911
I think that's worked quite the opposite since you posted in 2007 and UA/CO merged. I know a lot of Bay Area UA flyers that have made the move to AA. Some have returned due to route network, but others are happy and have made AA their airline of choice. In fact, AA just won two awards at the Flyer Talk awards announced today. UA did not win anything. There were also four awards given to One World partners (BA, Cathay).

Caution to anyone reading the 2006/7 posts here: some information posted in 2006/7 about AA and its partners is no longer correct. Quite a few changes.
Thank you Tom!
I really appreciate the feedback. Didn't realize many of the posts were so dated!

Do you think the chances on AA are better to get upgraded (sometimes with a companion traveler),
And do you think AA's bankruptcy history will be a problem moving forward? (Ie status/points/miles disappearing?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Jess05
I'm completely new, but have been reading for weeks and am stuck between AA/UN as for as the best FF for my situation- any help is appreciated!

I'm based out of SFO (or OAK/SJC)
Most of my flying is to JFK & LAX, about 1-2x a month.
IMO, with most of your flying to JFK and LAX, it's kind of a toss-up.

SFO is a UA hub so check-in & security at UA's is often an unpleasant scrum. There's advantages to using an off-airline at a hub.
On the other hand, JFK is an AA hub, so the flip situation happens.
Is EWR not an option?

For *A, ANA is flying SJC-NRT now. It's supposed to be 787 service as soon as those fly again.

In AA's recent past, SJC-CDG was available when SJC was a second-tier hub. I don't know if AA will push to that again.

By the way, United's IATA code is UA not UN. UN is Russian airline Transaero.

I plan to make a trip to either SFO-MUC-MIL, or SFO-LAX-PPT-(Perhaps)SYD, or SFO-MUC-DEL or SFO-JFK-MUC-CAI-Somewhere In Africa, or SFO-SIN, or preferably multiple of the above.
You're naming *A routes through *A hubs. With AA, the major alternative routes would be through MAD with Iberia, LHR with BA, KUL with Malaysian, HKG with Cathay Pacific, AUH with Etihad, and DOH with Qatar. IMO, Iberia is a bit painful because of routine strikes by Iberia and/or the Madrid air traffic controllers.

I know its late in the game to start (April) But I would expect to hit AA PLT or UN Premier Exec. (Preferably 1k/EXC with mileage runs or Segments from SFO-LAX) But if I got PLT on AA this year, might UN match that?
You could hedge your bets and go for *A Gold, and then AA a little higher maybe.

I'm not sure what benefits UA's 1K or Plat have over Gold. Note that *A's lowest tier is silver not gold. With Plat, a shorter check-in line is available for international routes out of SFO. Upgrades are kind of iffy since there's so many UA fliers out of SFO. Everybody I know is saying the Global upgrades are really hard to use, if at all possible, making the values of those Global upgrades questionable.

AA's Gold is its lowest tier. It's equivalent to *A silver. If you were AA elite going out of SFO, your chances of domestic upgrades are probably better than the equivalent UA flights.

Not too worried about the rest, although AA's bankruptcy history is concerning.
Bankruptcy history or bankruptcy future?

I don't know. The commercial airlines in the United States, have all implemented lean manufacturing principles to the extent that there's almost no more empty seats.

I hate to blow some bubbles here, the term elite has been downgraded, along with the idea of an A student. The genuine elite fliers have all gone to private charter jets. They're not flying commercial anymore.

"From your knowledge, what do you think would be the best choice between UN/*A Or AA/OW? Any Credit Cards you would recommend?"

If you fly so much for business, consider the United Club card, business account. It includes travel insurance so if your small business is self-insured, it could pay for itself really fast. Access to the clubs is kind of bonus, but beats trying to get business done anywhere else in an airport.

I don't know if AA has an equivalent card.

UA's cards are all from JP Morgan Chase while AA's cards are issued by Citibank. I am not a fan of Citibank.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Apr 4, 2013 at 10:40 am
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by tom911
One thing you need to watch out for, and it's the elephant in the room, is mileage accumulation on AA partners. Some partners, in discounted economy, accrue ZERO miles, while others may accrue 30-50-100%. It is important to read the partner page and understand how partner miles accrue with AA.
This elephant crashes *A's parties too.

OW has really beefed up its portfolio with Qatar, Etihad and Malaysian Airlines.

*A's Asiana, Thai and Singapore have their competition cut-out for them.

IMO, these sets of three have the best OW and *A services respectively. And I give the OW set an edge for quality.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:51 am

Do you think the chances on AA are better to get upgraded (sometimes with a companion traveler)
I'm at 98% this year on domestic AA upgrades (cleared 38 of 39), as well as burning 8 systemwides, so I'm doing pretty well. It's pretty rare for me to take a transcon unless I'm on award travel, though, as I mostly connect at DFW or ORD. Whether you're at AA or UA, I suspect those transcons will always be hard upgrades unless you're flying off peak. Companion upgrades at AA are not free and must be supported by upgrade instruments. Once you reach EXP (100K), you stop accruing those and would need to purchase upgrades for a companion. I'm not up on how companion upgrades work at UA so hopefully one of the UA flyers will cover those as well as how as the process for clearing upgrades on PS (SFO-JFK) and how they're doing on domestic upgrades from SFO, your base (and mine).

And do you think AA's bankruptcy history will be a problem moving forward? (Ie status/points/miles disappearing?
Well, CO has been bankrupt twice and UA once, and not a single frequent flyer mile was lost. You're not going to lose any miles at AA, but some have speculated that benefits may change. When UA and CO merged one major change they made was to reduce bonus miles at midtier to 50% from 100%. AA has not matched that benefit, still offering 100% bonus miles at midtier, and no on really knows what may change down the line. If there are changes, I'm counting on AA to provide adequate notice so AA flyers can evaluate the path ahead. There haven't been any AA press releases, so far, documenting any changes to come. One reason for this is that DOJ has not yet signed off on the merger.

When UA made the changes to their elite levels, including a new tier at 75K, they made the announcement on September 21, 2011, for implementation on January 1, 2012, so there there was just over 3 months of notice there for UA flyers to chart the course ahead. Personally I don't think that was a lot of notice as some flyers may have already purchased tickets, so hoping if AA makes an announcement of any program changes they can give more notice than that.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'm completely new, but have been reading for weeks and am stuck between AA/UN as for as the best FF for my situation- any help is appreciated!

I'm based out of SFO (or OAK/SJC)
Most of my flying is to JFK & LAX, about 1-2x a month.
I plan to make a trip to either SFO-MUC-MIL, or SFO-LAX-PPT-(Perhaps)SYD, or SFO-MUC-DEL or SFO-JFK-MUC-CAI-Somewhere In Africa, or SFO-SIN, or preferably multiple of the above.

I own a small business, and 2014/2015 I am planning to fly heavily domestically & internationally with my employees (4 of us) Around the US/CA (YVR, SFO, LAX, HNL, PHX, IAH, MIA, ATL, JFK, YQB, YYC, & ORD); Through South America, (Somewhat Undecided- Mexico, Costa Rica/Peru, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, French Polynesian) And Europe; (Although we may be doing more driving in Europe) KEF, LCY, MAD, CDG, MIL, MUC, ATH, PRG, ARN, DME)

I know its late in the game to start (April) But I would expect to hit AA PLT or UN Premier Exec. (Preferably 1k/EXC with mileage runs or Segments from SFO-LAX) But if I got PLT on AA this year, might UN match that?

My goal is to get the best & most frequent upgrades possible (Purchase coach Y/M or lower and get upgraded to business for myself and at least one other) for domestic & international flights. I'd also prefer the safest, and preferably most comfortable choice (Might be AA here?). Not too worried about the rest, although AA's bankruptcy history is concerning.

From your knowledge, what do you think would be the best choice between UN/*A Or AA/OW? Any Credit Cards you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to FT! tom911 has made a number of excellent points. To make a long story short as a long-time SFO-based flyer of AA and UA, and as someone who's increasingly leaned toward AA in recent years, for upgrades and many other features I prefer AA. Yes, SFO is a UA hub, but that means many more FFs who will squeeze you out for upgrades and a security line that's usually longer and slower. Plus the AA terminal is nicer and, if you have occasion to use it, the AA lounge is nicer. In general, AA is a better-run airline, with better customer service and a far superior FF program.

Now, having said that...

Originally Posted by azepine00
The real elephant is US/AA merger. Given the recent history of DL/NW and UA/CO (and US/HP for that matter) I would expect a fair bit of pain...
I am fairly certain that SWU on all fares without copay will not be around when the dust settles...
This in fact is the one big caveat. The US takeover of AA will cause complications and most likely a deterioration in the AA FF program and perhaps in the airline as a whole. However, I see little indication that the UA management isn't going to keep UA on a deteriorating path. So even in view of the US-AA merger, I'd still favor AA.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, US/UA Gold, National Executive, Avis First, Accor Platinum
UA or AA... Which program is best for me?

So I've just been blessed with a new job that will require almost 100% travel. I'll be around the 50 U.S. States, Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean. I will be based out of IND or ATL (not quite sure yet), but most likely it will be IND. The only status I currently possess is Silver with AF... So not much use here in the States. And for the record, I can fly who I want to (for the most part).

So here's the dilemma (and quite a first world dilemma it is): Should I go with UA or AA? I break it down...

UA: I have a few thousand miles with UA. I also have a bunch of Chase UR points, courtesy of the Sapphire card. It's also worth noting that I am able to put all of my travel expenses on my personal card, so there's a great potential to earn some UR points. I love UA and the ease of rewards within the Star Alliance, as I travel to Europe for pleasure quite frequently. However, the stickler here is the lack of status. And with the quality of UA diminished recently (IMHO), I'm not in any hurry to travel with them-- especially without status.

AA: I can't easily recall a time I've flown AA. I've always been eager to try them, but it has never worked out. I'd be starting from a -0- points balance, and of course no status. I don't have a ton of experience with oneWorld award redemptions, but paying those fuel surcharges on BA scares me! BUT-- I signed up for that "accelerated status challenge" from LinkedIn a few days ago () and would definitely make Gold status by the end of the year, and quite possibly Platinum. Plus, with the fate of the AA/US merger up in the air (no pun intended), I can't help but wonder about the future of the airline(s). However, the "quality" of AA looks to be much better now (and better than UA)... especially those pictures of the meals that SFO777 always posts!

Anyway, any and all input is much appreciated. Thanks for your concern in this grave matter!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by PurduExpat37
So I've just been blessed with a new job that will require almost 100% travel. I'll be around the 50 U.S. States, Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean. I will be based out of IND or ATL (not quite sure yet), but most likely it will be IND. The only status I currently possess is Silver with AF... So not much use here in the States. And for the record, I can fly who I want to (for the most part).

Anyway, any and all input is much appreciated. Thanks for your concern in this grave matter!
If your goal is top tier status, feel free to ignore this post. If it is award travel, the obvious answer is both.

You can easily add 100K AA miles in a short time, and many more over time, courtesy of Citi. Read the wiki and many posts including this one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post21307186. AA does not charge surcharges on their own metal or AB, among others. Just avoid BA.

You can also add 50K United miles by following all the directions in post 1654 of this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...nt-credit.html

Both AA and UA offer one-way awards, so by going for both, you give yourself the most flexibility.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Love AA and US, do not forget US Air, good for International Travel,

Nothing wrong with a CP on WN, also out of IND.

UA is a little easier to find space on, especially at the last minute.

IND is a quick trip to the Chicago Seminar, in October.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
If they honor the accelerated challenge, this is a no brainer go with AA. As a Plat you'll get 100% bonus miles, and better chances for upgrades than on any of the lower UA tiers.

I think the AA premium cabin service is much better overall than UA. United has more coverage in Mexico, AA has more frequencies and coverage in the Caribbean. So you have to factor in where you will be traveling to mostly. Either way my vote goes for AA.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
UA or AA... Which program is best for me?

Just in case, why not Delta? I've been a long-time DL Elite (and before that, NWA) and think that DL domestic service is better than US, US, or AA. Besides, most of DL hubs are in much better locations for all-year travel and the network is extensive. They also have very deep relationship with AF, so your existing status won't be wasted.

Envy your position- I just changed jobs and 100k shy of 1m on Delta, I'm forced to use UA.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
It's very difficult to book transatlantic award travel on DL at the lowest level. UA, and to a lesser extent AA, offer more choices.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, US/UA Gold, National Executive, Avis First, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JPG3392
It's very difficult to book transatlantic award travel on DL at the lowest level. UA, and to a lesser extent AA, offer more choices.
That's what I was afraid of... But I just don't want to have to fly that long without status! Does UA do a status challenge like AA/US where you pay a bit and then fly a certain amount in 90 days? According to their website it doesn't look like they'd match an AF Silver
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Just in case, why not Delta? I've been a long-time DL Elite (and before that, NWA) and think that DL domestic service is better than US, US, or AA. Besides, most of DL hubs are in much better locations for all-year travel and the network is extensive. They also have very deep relationship with AF, so your existing status won't be wasted.

Envy your position- I just changed jobs and 100k shy of 1m on Delta, I'm forced to use UA.
Delta is actually a great choice, especially out of IND with it having a SkyClub and being a semi-focus city. But award travel on Delta and the European partners is atrocious, and I don't want to have to deal with that.

And I do agree that they have the best quality in terms of domestic flights-- I've flown nothing but Delta the last year and have had all positive experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.