Reload this Page >

American AA vs. United UA [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American AA vs. United UA [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
American Airlines v/s United Airlines

Based purely on availability of award travel (United has a huge availability even during Christmas and the network is huge) and less number of miles required (for ex: Business Class to India needs 120K with United vs 130K with AA and paying huge BA surcharges unless you can fly Etihad/RJ). I have lived in DFW and have almost a million miles with AA, but I have stopped taking AA flight and concentrate all my efforts on UA accrual as I fly to India at least once a year in Business on Award travel and I never get availability in AA unless I am willing to pay 1200$ in surcharge to BA which has wide availability OR willing to travel thru hoops and bounds (RJ/Etihad).
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:26 am

What is the best timing when trying to book award travel on AA to Spain? Have found that award travel itself doesn't seem to be enough. There are many surcharges amounting to as much as $1200 for Business travel. Help! Is there something I'm missing?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, US/UA Gold, National Executive, Avis First, Accor Platinum
Thanks everyone for your input-- it is much appreciated.

I think I'm going to try and meet the AA status challenge for now, and then perhaps match to UA next year or so.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by bon144
What is the best timing when trying to book award travel on AA to Spain? Have found that award travel itself doesn't seem to be enough. There are many surcharges amounting to as much as $1200 for Business travel. Help! Is there something I'm missing?
Yes: aa.com is not able to display award-seat availability on IB metal. Call AA and ask.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Speaking as a low tier elite with both carriers (AA Gold and UA Silver) I think AA is far better. AA Golds get priority boarding, priority security and check-in and for now, exit rows. Also, while the upgrades aren't free, you'll have a much better shot at them then you would as a UA Silver. Plus, if you're based in Dallas, the amount of AA nonstops makes the choice much easier. And if you make AA Plat, it's even more superior than UA Gold.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jaxxx
Go AA, just did a 10 hour flight from united and got served no food, just drinks
And AA provides the exact same level of service to HNL. Not really a solid differentiation point there.

If the OP is going to be doing the long-haul trips as revenue travel then AA makes a ton of sense. If awards are the goal on those it is less certain. AA awards are solid into Asia thanks to Cathay. India is harder as there is much less coverage and you're basically forced on to BA metal which means much higher award costs.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by sbm12
And AA provides the exact same level of service to HNL. Not really a solid differentiation point there.

If the OP is going to be doing the long-haul trips as revenue travel then AA makes a ton of sense. If awards are the goal on those it is less certain. AA awards are solid into Asia thanks to Cathay. India is harder as there is much less coverage and you're basically forced on to BA metal which means much higher award costs.
If Sri Lanka is moved to the subcontinent in AA's award charts, then UL will open many opportunities to India.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by guv1976
Yes: aa.com is not able to display award-seat availability on IB metal. Call AA and ask.
I'd also suggest checking for AA availability JFK-MAD/BCN or MIA-MAD/BCN without adding on any other segments. There may be availability on those routes but nothing from your origin to the gateway airports. If you find the seats across the Atlantic, then you can work on domestic seats to get to the gateway.

I was over in Barcelona just three weeks ago on AA metal and total taxes were $57 on a coach award.

Tom in Las Vegas
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pin2bhatt
I am based in Dallas
Unfortunately, you have no choice.

If your short hops were all inside the Wright Amendment footprint, you could potentially explore a two-airline approach: WN for the regional stuff and Star Alliance for Asia, quickly snagging an Aegean elite status to facilitate the travels. But Southwest will only get you to MSY, not BNA or MCO without a stop.

In other words, you are AA's prisoner and I don't think there is really anything you can do about it.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by pinniped
Unfortunately, you have no choice.

If your short hops were all inside the Wright Amendment footprint, you could potentially explore a two-airline approach: WN for the regional stuff and Star Alliance for Asia, quickly snagging an Aegean elite status to facilitate the travels. But Southwest will only get you to MSY, not BNA or MCO without a stop.

In other words, you are AA's prisoner and I don't think there is really anything you can do about it.
In about a year's time the Wright restrictions will be repealed, so it should not be that much of an issue, although I would discourage it due to their revenue based program.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Fan
In about a year's time the Wright restrictions will be repealed, so it should not be that much of an issue, although I would discourage it due to their revenue based program.
True, I'm not a huge fan of their FFP. But if I lived anywhere near downtown Dallas and had a few regular short hops that they flew, it would be tempting simply because of the airport. Love Field is easy and stress-free for O&D.

Then you'd be somewhat freed of AA's grip, as you could *probably* choose similar itins on both OW and Star to get to Asia.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by tom911
I've been EXP at AA for a dozen years now and have a 100% clearance rate on systemwides, including 8 so far this year. I'm also at 97% on domestic upgrades with AA and have never been below 90%. .
I have the same experience as Tom911. I have had 100% clearance on my SWU's (to Beijing, London, Paris, Brussels, Tokyo, Beijing, London) over the last 3 years on AA. At the same time I am at 100% clearance on domestic flights this year (Vancouver, Chicago, Pittsburgh, DC, Cleveland, San Francisco, Chicago, DC, etc.) and ~98% previous two years.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Is there a good reference for how upgrades work for AA Gold? I'm moving over from US Silver, where upgrades were free when available. Here, I see a lot of talk about SWUs, 500-mile upgrades, etc. Any help or cliff notes?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
At AA Gold you'd build up 2,000 miles worth of upgrades for every 10,000 miles you fly, so you'd need to be selective on what flights you request upgrades for unless you're prepared to buy additional upgrades (cheaper on line than at the gate).

As to whether you would clear at the Gold level, it's really dependent on day or week and route. You could start a new thread asking about Gold upgrades from your origin airport and you might get some feedback from someone based there. Keep in mind you'll be competing for space and on some routes even EXP flyers have a tough time clearing.

The Gold guide on the AA website would be a good place to check out:
http://www.aa.com/content/images/AAd...mber_Guide.pdf

Tom in Arlington, Virginia
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Thanks Tom. What confuses me is the top of "complimentary upgrades". Is this separate from the 500-mile upgrades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.