Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
You might get better advice if you asked this in one of the "Miles and Points" sub-forums, either Information Desk or Miles Buzz. That is where questions about programs and methods are discussed. When you get to the point of actually planning your trip to Japan, come back here for specific help.

I'll alert a moderator to see if this thread can be moved.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:44 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
As abmj-JR mentioned, I will move this to the Information Desk so you can get better answers to your questions.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old May 14, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You've got a lot of reading ahead of you. Hope you have some headache medicine ready.
You say flights, as in plural, which class of service are you planning on traveling in? International flights tend to be good use of miles but you'll still need a bunch of miles for the flights. So set your sights on a realistic expectation based on what you can accumulate.

For credit card signups you'll have to weigh what options are open to you. Depending on your credit, spending abilities and if a bonus is available to you (some are 1 time only bonuses). Also remember there are various kinds of cards. Cards that earn directly into an airline program and cards that can transfer into a program. The bonuses can be quite nice but you have to meet the spending requirements.
When flying it tends to be a good idea to concentrate your earnings into a limited amount of programs. So determine which program will fit your needs and earnings best and go from there.
Old May 15, 2016, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmdaniels9
Trying to start collecting miles with the hopes of getting a couple of free flights to Japan. My home airport is Chicago. From what I gathered so far, my best bet is to try to pile a bunch of points into one program.
Award flights are not free. All have real taxes. Awards flights on some ffps/routes/airlines can have cash surcharges that range from small to eye wateringly high. (like AA awards on BA flights). Award availability is never guaranteed. You can book awards from 353 to 330 days out (depends on the ffp). Long haul awards can be hard to get. More so if at a peak time and/or popular dates.

Frequent flyer miles are not equal to earn or burn. Each ffp is different. Most ffp’s have expiry rules for ff miles. Some have hard expiry:- they expire after X months (use them or lose them)

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. FFP’s are for the long term.

There is a difference between frequent flying and frequent spending (to get ff miles from credit cards)

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry/affiliated credit cards/promotions) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s)

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally however you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, ability to upgrade flights and possible operation upgrades.

Look and ask here:- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old May 15, 2016, 8:43 am

One program to think seriously about (if you are thinking about wanting to fly in the front of the plane anyway) would be ANA- Star Alliance member, so you could credit United flights to their mileage program, as well accruing transferrable Amex and SPG points (both transfer to ANA). They also have two nonstop flights daily from ORD-NRT.
Old May 15, 2016, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by tmdaniels9
I know BA is good for international flights...
It's not entirely clear if you realize this, so worth mentioning that BA does not fly non-stop from Chicago to Japan. You'll find code-share flights that have BA flight numbers, but you'll be on an American Airlines plane. Otherwise, you're looking at a very long trip from ORD-LHR-NRT/NHD. Figure you have an 8-hour flight to London and a 12-hour flight from London to Tokyo. In contrast, non-stop from Chicago to Tokyo is about 13 hours.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Rapid Rewards, MileagePlus
Incoming consultant - need help deciding on airline

Hello all! I'm a recent college grad that will start as a consultant in the Fall, flying out of Chicago on a weekly basis. I've already earned ~10,000 EQM's/PQM's for 2016 in both AA and UA, respectively. Trying to decide which alliance to commit to once I start my job. I'm assuming I should choose between AA or UA since I'll be based in Chicago.

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: upgrades, good award redemption rates, priority services

>>> Reply: 50,000+

>>> Reply: Economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Work, I can generally choose my airline of preference but am restricted to selecting economy except on international flights.

>>> Reply: domestic USA

>>> Reply: ORD

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: No status so far, about 10,000 PQM miles in both American and United, respectively

>>> Reply: I've always had the impression that AA provides better service than UA, but would be interested in hearing arguments to the contrary.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:58 am

Hi

I am an Australian moving to New York.

Good award redemption rates, upgrades & lounge access.

I will be flying 25,000+ miles within the domestic USA from New York to LAX, DEN, PDX, SFO & BOS predominantly. I prefer direct flights were possible.

I will have at least one trip a year from the USA to Australia & the UK.

Business

Travel will be for work & pleasure. I will be able to choose my own airline & class.

It will be mainly domestic USA.

Can be any of the NYC airports.

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any:

Long time QANTAS FF but have not travelled a lot in the past 1.5 years. So currently only Bronze member with 100,000+ points.

I do not have a strong preference.
Old May 22, 2016, 12:47 pm

New to ffm

I am new to travelling and I am trying to figure out how to use frequent flier miles. The problem is that most of the podcasts and blogs I have found, while are really useful for the basics, are from an US prospective. I am from the UK and want to travel internationally but I don't know which are the best miles to get. Does BA always have a fuel surcharge when flying internationally? Could I get United miles and use them? Should I get Avios points instead?

The trip I plan on taking this year is travelling Latin America for six months to a year so I would need to get to either Cancun, Mexico or La Paz, Bolivia and Avianca seems like the best airline to get to La Paz which is part of Star Alliance. This is why I thought it might be better to try to get United miles as I could use the to travel while over there too.

Also I have no idea how hard it is to get a credit card used to build up a US airlines ffm while living in the UK. Do you just join their program then apply for a credit card from them using a UK address?

As you can see I am a little lost so if anyone can shed some light on the issue I would appreciate it.

Hi

I am a UK traveller

Good award redemption rates, better award access, upgrades.

I will be flying approx 15000 miles. Not too bothered about flights being indirect.

Cheapest

Travel will be for pleasure. I will be able to choose my own airline & class.

International

Manchester but can use Heathrow if necessary

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any:

None

I do not have a strong preference.

Thanks
James

Last edited by Jimbus; May 22, 2016 at 12:58 pm Reason: More info added
Old May 22, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

trakka Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by trakka
I am an Australian moving to New York.

Good award redemption rates, upgrades & lounge access. c
<snip>
Long time QANTAS FF but have not travelled a lot in the past 1.5 years. So currently only Bronze member with 100,000+ points.
How long will you be living is USA? A short time or for ever?
What airlines fly where you want to go? UA or DL or AA?
USA domestic flight lounge access does not come with status. You need to buy the paid membership.
To get upgrades in USA you will need status.

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry/affiliated credit cards/promotions) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s)

Look here at post 330 for a QF vs AA award comparison

Be careful about the QF no activity 18 month expiry rule. An eligible AA or AS fly or a car rental can keep the account alive. Or a QF award.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 22, 2016 at 7:36 pm
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG
Hi everyone,

Relatively fresh to the world of points and miles.. I will be starting a new role here (in New York, US) that requires extensive travel within Asia and between Asia and CONUS (Continental US). I have no idea about their travel flexibility but was told that any journey 8 hrs+ will be in Business class. So I will be flying Business to Asia from CONUS and back. However, all my Intra-Asia flights will be in coach. I'd like to think they allow some flexibility in selecting airlines but I'm not completely sure about it. I do have statuses with Credit Cards but not actual stays or flights except for a few Emirates miles and AA miles.

I currently have:

1. Marriott Premier Rewards - 73,000+ points
2. Amex Delta Gold - 30,000+ miles/points
3. Chase Sapphire Preferred - 120,000+ UR points
4. Amex SPG Personal Card - 36,000+ SPG points
5. Amex Premier Rewards Gold - 50,000+ MR points

See a pattern?

I applied for these cards in anticipation to maximize my miles/points with the extensive traveling I'd be doing.

Below are responses to the standard questionnaire:

Upgrades

50,000+ miles from Continental US to Asia

A mix of Business and Coach/Economy

Not sure about this one as I'm in the process of switching employers. I travel for work mostly

USA-Asia (China, Korea, Japan and Taiwan) and a considerable intra-Asia.

NYC (JFK, LGA or EWR)

I have 18,000+ miles on Emirates, 5,000+ on AA and have the Gold Amex Delta

Emirates/ Middle-east carriers, American or Delta in CONUS

I haven't traveled a lot and am not aware of the upgrades or services on airlines. Usually fly American or Delta within CONUS and I've been happy with their domestic service, and JetBlue (who doesn't like JetBlue). Never had the nerve to ask for an upgrade, the closest I've come to that was to ask the FA for bottled water!

Me and my wife are planning a trip for next summer (2017) to Europe and are relying heavily on my miles/point accrual to help us offset some travel costs. If not offsetting, we would be okay paying for coach to fly a premium cabin if that's possible at all..

Greedy much?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by amuthan; Jun 1, 2016 at 8:01 am
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Arrow

>>> Reply: Upgrades and Priority services. Lounge access would be a plus.

>>> Reply: Between 20k-25k miles per year

>>> Reply: Cheapest Economy

>>> Reply: Yes, I fly for leisure only out of my own pocket.

>>> Reply: I fly mostly within Asia and 1 flight per year to Washington DC (IAD/DCA).

>>> Reply: SIN.

>>> Reply: I earned my MH Gold (Oneworld Sapphire) via flying 50 sectors per calendar year and accumulated 71k miles so far. However I'll be flying lesser and lesser next year onwards to reduce cost so may not be able to earn any status. I status matched to AZ Gold and O6 Gold which would expire in 2017 or 2018 I think.

>>> Reply: I have no preferred airlines but so far I've been flying mostly MH (you can check my flightdiary in the signature). My credit card points are usually transferred to SQ or CX to redeem for flights in business class.

My one flight per year to Washington DC is about 20k miles roundtrip so was thinking to bank on that to getting some useful status with an FFP. From SIN, I could do positioning flights to CGK, KUL, HKG, BKK, etc.. if needed. My one flight per year to Washington DC is a must, any other flights elsewhere are extras...

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:53 pm

Hello, doing this for my dad as he is currently an ex-pat working in Shanghai and travels a decent amount for work and to come back to the US. Any help would be most appreciated.

>>> Reply: awards travel/access for family members

>>> Reply: At least two round trip TPAC from PVG to IAH. At least one trip a month to other places in China/South Korea/Japan

>>> Reply: Economy as he is quite frugal, even with OPM

>>> Reply: He books all of his flights and can choose whatever he wants. However, cost is one of his main factors as well as time

>>> Reply: Again, at least two roundtrip TPAC flights a year with travel throughout the Far East rest of the year

>>> Reply: PVG is much closer for him than SHA

>>> Reply: No status with any FFP. About 80k with each of UA/AA/DL

>>> Reply: Again, he values cost/direct routing over just about anything else. I figured DL would be ideal as it is best to stick with an US based FFP since the miles he earns will be mainly for award travel for family members based in US and that SkyTeam has significant presence out of PVG with China Eastern
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:24 pm

Which Star Alliance is best for me?

Hey guys, I am trying to figure which star alliance to be loyal to [AA, Delta or United]. (Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!)

I live in New York and I usually do back-and-forth trips to Europe and South America. I have been flying budget airlines so far but I learned that their loyalty programs are not nearly as good as AA, Delta or United.

I usually fly economy class and I dont really care much for comfort. I just want to rack up those miles and go to as many places as possible!

So which star alliance do you think would give me the best bang for my buck?

Thanks in advance

- Brian
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Switch away from AA?

With the changes just announced from AA I'm thinking of switching from AA to UA, but I'm completely unsure of which way to go.

First, the questionnaire:

>>> Upgrades, Priority Services

>>> 8-12 trips per year (30-48 segments), at least one to Japan or China and at least one to London or somewhere else in Western Europe, but most all over the US

>>> Economy (will usually pay to get into Plus for the legroom); might get to buy business on some overseas trips occasionally

>>> Yes, I get to choose, trying to get lowest airfare but convenient day/time is more important to me. Mostly for work.

>>> Domestic USA

>>> Austin, Texas (practically all my flights go through DFW or IAD though there are now more direct flights from AUS)

>>> Silver on UA. Nothing on AA at the moment.

>>> AA or UA.

I flew for work for a few years and earned and kept Platinum on AA. During that time I really liked flying on AA - they took good care of me (I got upgraded about 50% of the time and if I had problems they always got me right). On top of that, I actually *like* the MD-80s over the newer 737s (when I'm in economy, anyhow). I prefer DFW over IAD, as well, though it's not a huge difference.

However, I switched jobs and lost status completely. So I'm starting over again from zero. With my new job, I will be flying enough to earn/keep gold/silver, at least.

I have BOTH UA and AA mastercards, and I use one to pay all my regular household bills every month (plus other stuff, which adds up). So far this year I've been using my AA card exclusively, which is why I have about 70K on AA and 10K on UA at the moment.

I also have more than 200K earned lifetime miles on AA, and only about 70K lifetime on United.

Oh, and United recently "gifted" me silver status (out of the blue - I guess as an enticement to try them again).

With the changes in AA's program I'm torn. I've been researching this evening and it seems like:
* UA's program will be *slightly* better than AA's.
* The alliances look similar to me, although AA has Qantas if I ever go back to Australia. Austin does have a non-stop flight to LHR via BA, as well, but then you get smacked with the fuel surcharge, and those flights are early in the day for my usual needs.
* In doing some looking, I found better award flights (at lower miles) on UA, but I found better pay flights (i.e. less expensive and better times/airports) on AA.
* Generally speaking I prefer AA's fleet as I find them more comfortable (seat-wise), though both airlines are hit-and-miss for overseas economy flights.

So, what I'm thinking so far as that without any status at all, I'd probably stick with AA, but with that free silver status UA might just be edging out AA.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help!
Peter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.