Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

ShadowTigerPK Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by ShadowTigerPK
With the changes just announced from AA I'm thinking of switching from AA to UA, but I'm completely unsure of which way to go.

<snip>

I flew for work for a few years and earned and kept Platinum on AA. During that time I really liked flying on AA - they took good care of me (I got upgraded about 50% of the time and if I had problems they always got me right). On top of that, I actually *like* the MD-80s over the newer 737s (when I'm in economy, anyhow). I prefer DFW over IAD, as well, though it's not a huge difference.

<snip>

I also have more than 200K earned lifetime miles on AA, and only about 70K lifetime on United.

Oh, and United recently "gifted" me silver status (out of the blue - I guess as an enticement to try them again).

With the changes in AA's program I'm torn. I've been researching this evening and it seems like:
* UA's program will be *slightly* better than AA's.
* The alliances look similar to me, although AA has Qantas if I ever go back to Australia. Austin does have a non-stop flight to LHR via BA, as well, but then you get smacked with the fuel surcharge, and those flights are early in the day for my usual needs.
* In doing some looking, I found better award flights (at lower miles) on UA, but I found better pay flights (i.e. less expensive and better times/airports) on AA.
* Generally speaking I prefer AA's fleet as I find them more comfortable (seat-wise), though both airlines are hit-and-miss for overseas economy flights.

<snip>

What do you think?
This:---> The grass in not always greener on the other side
(Seems to be several AA potential refugees looking for better. They will not find it)

With the majority of ffp's benefits are reducing and ff mile award/upgrade costs are going up. Upgrades are now harder to get. The halcyon days of frequent flyer programs a decade ago are gone: just accept reality.

In the AS forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ng-switch.html

AA now fly's LAX-SYD (as does UA). But with UA you need a very expensive base economy fare to upgrade. But with AA you do not need an expensive base fare. But who knows what the rules will be in the future.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

briantravel Welcome to FT

The question should be which airline ffp is best for you to concentrate on (not the alliance). FFP's are very different

But with the change of most USA based ffp's to revenue based, flying the airline with best fares and best schedule that matches your requirements now has merit. Treating any ff miles as a bonus that may or may not be able to be used.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Note that of the three airlines you mention, on UA is Star Alliance. The others are OneWorld (AA) and SkyTeam (DL). I would join the program of the airline you'll be flying most, though there is nothing stopping you from joining all three. Just make sure you don't have miles spread all over the place.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by briantravel
Hey guys, I am trying to figure which star alliance to be loyal to [AA, Delta or United]. (Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!)

I live in New York and I usually do back-and-forth trips to Europe and South America. I have been flying budget airlines so far but I learned that their loyalty programs are not nearly as good as AA, Delta or United.

I usually fly economy class and I dont really care much for comfort. I just want to rack up those miles and go to as many places as possible!

So which star alliance do you think would give me the best bang for my buck?

Thanks in advance

- Brian
Welcome to FT!

If you really want to rack up miles, flying isn't the best or fastest way to do it in your situation, particularly with the changes mentioned by previous posters. For that, credit cards and even other occasional promotions/deals is what you want. Careful and well-timed credit card signup bonuses, regular spending, and other efforts will accrue miles at many times the rate of your flying pattern. The below forums are worth spending time reading and digesting...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-programs-390/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/

Some are finding that due to the current environment with domestic frequent flyer programs, simply choosing the best deal on each particular trip is better than overpaying in an attempt to remain loyal.

And depending on your budget and flexibility, you may occasionally find good deals on paid fares to Europe and elsewhere that are more desirable than what might be available on an award redemption.

All of that is not to say you shouldn't or couldn't still see which domestic airline fits your needs the best and concentrating on it if it doesn't require you to overspend or do other silly things in order to stay loyal. The "Which program..." thread that Mwenenzi posted is where you can look to get some specific feedback. Just spend some time learning and analyzing as what might seem to be the common sense answer at first blush, may not be so in reality.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:17 am

Cool Chicago to NY frequent flyer

Hi all. Next month, I will start flying regularly (mostly for weekends) between Chicago and NY and hoping to maximize my earning and redemption power. Given all the changes to the AAdvantage program, hoping to tap into the collective wisdom of the forum to see how I should strategize. My constraints are I would like to fly into/out of Laguardia but either Midway or O'hare are fine. I am members of most FF programs but don't have any elite status at the moment. I am also hoping to optimize on price, ideally would like most economical flight options but flexible if spending some more gets me more. Should I consolidate all my travel on 1 airline or spread it out? AA, Southwest, Delta? Any must have Credit cards (I have SPG Amex and Chase Sapphire currently). Any thoughts/advice appreciated! THANKS!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:35 am

I looked at a random weekend in July, going on Friday and returning Sunday. Southwest has 7 non-stops on both days from Midway to LGA. That seems pretty good to me. Haven't checked pricing. The benefits of Southwest A List look like they are ok, priority boarding, priority checking/security where available etc.

Not sure what the competition has, but probably not as great since they've all moved to revenue.

You might want to look at the pricing for sample weekends and that could provide clarity.

Furthermore, if you're trying to get points to get first class to Dubai or something, then Southwest would totally be wrong for you

Have fun!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:37 am

My understanding is that people that fly both Delta and American can credit their flights to Alaska Airlines. That way if you do a little on both, you combine them together to get something decent instead of two half of nothings. That being said, you need to investigate how the points credit to Alaska depending on the fare basis.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
I would personally focus on WN with a CSP for the spend. Not a ton of EQMs on MDW to LGA on AA (~2175 on full fare economy). You could challenge for 12,500 (6 RTs) and $200 to get platinum, I guess. 25 segments on WN gets A-list (auto check in, priority line, but I'd focus on Precheck anyway), 50 gets earning bonuses and free WiFi, and 100 gets a companion pass. But, as others pointed out, the WN points aren't going to get you anywhere other than the northern hemisphere (for now).
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
ShadowTigerPK Welcome to FT
This:---> The grass in not always greener on the other side
(Seems to be several AA potential refugees looking for better. They will not find it)

With the majority of ffp's benefits are reducing and ff mile award/upgrade costs are going up. Upgrades are now harder to get. The halcyon days of frequent flyer programs a decade ago are gone: just accept reality.

In the AS forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ng-switch.html

AA now fly's LAX-SYD (as does UA). But with UA you need a very expensive base economy fare to upgrade. But with AA you do not need an expensive base fare. But who knows what the rules will be in the future.

Thanks, that's a good point.

Any suggestions as to how I could get AA to upgrade me to gold status? The decision would be easy then

Thanks,
Peter
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
For flexibility and options going the Alaska Airlines plan with DL & AA as partners (25-30 flights from LGA-ORD)maximizes your schedule flexibility while keeping miles earning growing towards a redemption goal. There is an AS credit card also.

WN is another option with decent frequency but limited reward beyond the US. I'm not a fan so I won't drag out the negatives.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ShadowTigerPK
Any suggestions as to how I could get AA to upgrade me to gold status? The decision would be easy then
AA offer a challenge (if you quality) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-2016-a.html
In my opinion one of the aims of these changes to USA freq flyer programmes is to reduce the number of elite frequent flyers. The end game will be better for the very frequent flyers.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:39 am

Hi fellow flyers,

I am very new at this but want to get into frequent flying. I have a trip from Amsterdam to Singapore lined up next month (with Emirates). Hope you can help me out.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:
Upgrades, free flights, lounge access

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:
less than 25000, but willing to fly more.
3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:
The absolute cheapest
4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:
Just for pleasure, am able to choose.

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:
From Amsterdam to Asia and intra-european budget flights

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:
Amsterdam

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:
about 11.000 skywards miles & 8400 tier miles at Emirates, and 3500 miles at Miles & More.

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
None so far, looking forward to flyng with Emirates.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:02 pm

Help! Where to put my miles

Hi There,

I'm flying the following legs DUS - AUH - MLE and MLE - AUH - DUS in discounted economy with Etihad. With my booking code I can login on the Etihad website and also on the Air Berlin website.

I'll be flying AMS - DOH - AKL and AKL - DOH - AMS in business class with Qatar early next year.

So where is the best place to put my miles? When I login into the Etihad side a cann't select a british airways program, but when I go to the air berlin website I can. I would like to consolidate the miles as much as possible, so what are my best options here?

At this moment I do not have any miles in a BA, Air Berlin or Etihad account.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

dverkade Welcome to FT
Are you a member of any ffp?
What are your objectives from a ffp?
EY & QR are both freq flyer partners of America Airlines AA & Air Berlin AB, but check the earnings.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

http://www.wheretocredit.com/qatar-airways
http://www.wheretocredit.com/etihad-airways

The QR AKL flight many not happen. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ss-here-6.html
If AKL is not added to the QR schedule you will probably end up on QR DOH-SYD/HKG flight with a SYD/HKG-AKL on another airline.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 8, 2016 at 11:52 pm Reason: corrected QR alternatives. added AB as common ffp
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What will you fly most often? If you are based in Germany you may be best off with AB, though if you do a lot of international travel then BA might be better. It really depends on your travel patterns. Ultimately a flight like this in discounted economy won't earn you many flights, and unless you fly a fair amount it really won't matter where you stick your miles.

Welcome to FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.