Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm not new to the FF game, but I'm really trying to fish out what I should do as far as FF programs go with the impending Virgin-Alaska merger (which I am so not thrilled about as it appears to be an impending catastrophic devaluation).

>>> Reply: Award access/pricing in premium cabins is #1 for me (the two sort of go hand-in-glove...access is irrelevant if the award is stupidly expensive) with a distinct preference for international awards (as a rule I'll just pay out-of-pocket domestically). This usually goes to cover one-way tickets on Int'l long-haul trips. A tight second is, conceptually, lounge access (I chased up VS status largely to gain this).

>>> Reply: Probably about 25000 miles but the number of sectors is somewhat flexible and am willing to engage in status run antics at times. FWIW, almost all of those miles will be in a Domestic F-equivalent cabin, so there's probably a 50% multiplier to work with as far as status qualification. As my little VS-via-DL adventure last month should show, I'll do odd stuff for status. Spending is a bit more flexible and runs to a couple of thousand dollars per year.

>>> Reply: Domestically/two-class First, Internationally/three-class generally Business (or hybrid). Have voluntarily booked an Economy ticket exactly one time since I started handling my own travel.

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Full flexibility to choose; travel almost exclusively for pleasure

>>> Reply: Domestic USA (paid)

>>> Reply: Flexible, but east coast-based in the US. I'm from southern Virginia but I've flown out of my "local" airport once in the last decade...airline options out of PHF/ORF leave something to be desired. I'll primarily fly out of WAS (DCA/IAD/BWI, doesn't matter...I know how to get to/from all three from Union Station) even though it's a few hours away, and I'm willing to take the train as far as New York or Boston if need be.

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: Gold, VX (180k points); Gold, VS (40k points); about 15k points on SQ as well. I have an "incidental remainder" over on DL (about 3k points from the only one-way trip I ever credited to them). Let's ignore my Amtrak pot for the purposes of this discussion so long as they're not paired with one of the "pooling" programs.
-In non-FFP transfer partner programs, I presently have 31k at *wood (with probably another 30k incoming via the CC), probably a few thousand inbound from Chase, and am climbing back towards 50k with Hyatt.

>>> Reply: Virgin America has been my preferred airline; I'm looking for "exit opportunities" in light of the Alaska merger, however (since from what I can tell, Alaska has a lot of partners with mediocre access, and results on their award booking engine have been non-inspiring).
-At the moment I'm backstopping VX with VS status (which carries indirect bonuses on Delta) but I'm also in need of a longer-term option. There's a good chance I'll end up shifting to JetBlue (their Mint product looks excellent) but their FF program, from my POV, isn't worthwhile (weak direct benefits and basically no partner utility) and I'd be better off cross-crediting miles to another program (even if said program is foreign).
-Post-merger Alaska may be an option if they keep a reasonable amount of VX's F cabins around...but for various reasons I'm inclined to seek out a crediting partner.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm not new to the FF game, but I'm really trying to fish out what I should do as far as FF programs go with the impending Virgin-Alaska merger (which I am so not thrilled about as it appears to be an impending catastrophic devaluation).
Can you please provide a link to that brave statement by a reliable authoritative credible verifiable source.
The sun will rise tomorrow.

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
<snip>'
>>> Reply: Gold, VX (180k points); Gold, VS (40k points); about 15k points on SQ as well. I have an "incidental remainder" over on DL (about 3k points from the only one-way trip I ever credited to them). Let's ignore my Amtrak pot for the purposes of this discussion so long as they're not paired with one of the "pooling" programs.
-In non-FFP transfer partner programs, I presently have 31k at *wood (with probably another 30k incoming via the CC), probably a few thousand inbound from Chase, and am climbing back towards 50k with Hyatt.

>>> Reply: Virgin America has been my preferred airline; I'm looking for "exit opportunities" in light of the Alaska merger, however (since from what I can tell, Alaska has a lot of partners with mediocre access, and results on their award booking engine have been non-inspiring).
-At the moment I'm backstopping VX with VS status (which carries indirect bonuses on Delta) but I'm also in need of a longer-term option. There's a good chance I'll end up shifting to JetBlue (their Mint product looks excellent) but their FF program, from my POV, isn't worthwhile (weak direct benefits and basically no partner utility) and I'd be better off cross-crediting miles to another program (even if said program is foreign).
-Post-merger Alaska may be an option if they keep a reasonable amount of VX's F cabins around...but for various reasons I'm inclined to seek out a crediting partner.
Jetblue has few partners so your objectives of international awards would be hard to achieve.

What airlines fly where you want to go?

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old May 4, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Can you please provide a link to that brave statement by a reliable authoritative credible verifiable source.
The sun will rise tomorrow.

Jetblue has few partners so your objectives of international awards would be hard to achieve.

What airlines fly where you want to go?

The grass in not always greener on the other side
To quote:
"Points balances and status levels will be honored in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan." [1]

Now, as to why I see this as a devaluation? Points about fuel surcharges notwithstanding [2], the fact is that at the moment I can book NYC-LHR or BOS-LHR with reasonable availability in UC for 25k/40k (ow/rt) points. IAD-LHR is spottier, but between those three when I last checked (late last week) I could book an outbound TATL award on 14 of the first 18 days in May and a return on 18 of the first 19 days.[3]

With Alaska the equivalent awards run 50-62.5k/100-140k [4][5]. As such, unless/until further notice I'm having to operate under the presumption that existing VX balances will transfer at 1:1 ("will be honored" has led to this presumption) and that there is no way that under the new program, even if VS is retained as a partner, the award will stay at 25/40. Ergo my presumption (and I do believe it is a safe one) is that we'll end up with AS's award prices with VX's earning structure...which is a massive difference from what I signed up for. [6] It also represents about a 50-70% hit to the effective earning power (albeit partly offset by the slight improvements to status bonuses recently announced...which probably makes it more like 45-65% as a Gold member).

[1] Source: https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...mer-questions/
[2] And from what I can tell, some of AS' partners on this front aren't a lot better.
[3] To be fair, it is possible that some of these awards wouldn't sell to VX customers, but such availability has been legendarily generous.
[4] Source: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rd-charts.aspx
[5] I'm notably ignoring Delta due to the effective lack of a one-way award (and a presumption that I wouldn't be able to say "I want to go to/from London but I don't care where I'm leaving from the US" and still claim a round-trip award), since 125k o/w in BC is a Bad Deal. Still, 125k vs 40k is a non-trivial difference.
[6] I'm also cognizant of the fact that VX probably got an unusually good deal at startup, probably due to a combo of Branson wanting VX to succeed and the weak economy (and with it the weak premium cabin market) at the time.

===== ===== ===== ===== =====

As to the "where I want to go", longer-term what I'd like is:
(1) Reasonable short-to-mid term availability on TATL flights (there's a raft of options here, obviously); and
(2) Workable longish-term availability to Asia/Australia (I'm not expecting a raft of availability two weeks out but I'd rather not be strictly locked to booking at 330 days out since that totally fuzzes even trying a round-trip).

IMHO SQ and VS are not-entirely-unreasonable choices (SQ has the advantage of "sleeping around" with most major hotel programs). At the moment, DL is not unreasonable...but (1) achieving useful status there is likely to be tricky and (2) in-program earning is far weaker than out-of-program earning (e.g. I'm likely to get far more miles for an AS flight NYC-SEA than I am for a DL flight NYC-SEA even if I credit all of the miles to DL...and, sadistically, vice-versa...). Trying to figure out other carriers seems like it may take a brute-force attack.

Basically...I'm looking at probably effectively needing to deal with two airlines (depending on patterns of transcon service in the US...DL's premium service is basically only available on a thin selection of transcon flights and then often only in exchange for one's first-born child) with a borderline farcical pattern of crediting miles (SQ takes B6, DL/AS interchange, VS/DL interchange, VX presently credits to SQ and VS). Part of the problem does seem to basically be that VX, AS, and B9 are all "out-of-network" and there's very little sharing between the three on foreign carriers.

Edit: Another note: A lot of the reason I went for VS Gold as opposed to DL (insert-level-here) was that I could basically "backdoor" the status cheaply (I think the whole status run cost me $1100 even if it was at the price of passing through ATL four times in four days [three of which were within 24 hours of one another!]). No partner bonuses beyond DL (which has a spider-web of them), however.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; May 4, 2016 at 1:26 am
Old May 4, 2016, 3:24 am

Programs: Phoenix Miles, Aeroplan
Dear all, I'm new to this forum, and a big thank you to all the experienced members sharing information and their valuable experiences.

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: Award redemption rates, upgrades to business/first, and award access.

>>> Reply: 50,000+, most likely 100k+ miles. I will be starting a job in September that will have me flying round-trip every week, from HKG to somewhere.

>>> Reply: full-fare Y, unless longer than 4 hours, then business.

>>> Reply: We have full choice of airlines, but not class of service. I will be traveling mostly for work.

>>> Reply: intra-Asia.

>>> Reply: Will be HKG.

>>> Reply: I have no status with any FFP, though I currently have some miles with Aeroplan/Phoenix Miles. I haven't registered for Cathay's MP club yet, since it costs money and I haven't started flying with them.

>>> Reply: I've always had a good experience with CX/Dragon Air flights, though rarely have I been very disappointed. I've also enjoyed flying with Air China and Air Canada (international). Flew United once and didn't find it appalling, but didn't think it was anything special.

Which airline should be using mostly? Getting 50k miles with Air China will be enough for *A gold, and their 625K lifetime platinum (lifetime *A gold) seems more attainable than most FFP. CX would be the natural choice out of HKG, but their rewards are expensive and Oneworld isn't *A.

Thank you all again for your input and suggestions.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: Phoenix Miles, Aeroplan
delete

Last edited by winterishere; May 10, 2016 at 12:16 am Reason: duplicate post
Old May 7, 2016, 9:08 pm

I have frequently traveled for work domestically (USA) for the past few years. I've recently changed positions and learned I will start traveling throughout Asia and Oceania in a few months. I'm super excited (have never been there before!) but also seeking your help.

My organization requires me to purchase the cheapest coach fare available ("within reason" -- e.g. I think I would be excepted from having to purchase a fare combo that requires like 4 connections and takes 2x the time as the other options, but generally speaking the cheapest "typical" routing for a trip). Additionally, I must purchase all airfare and hotel on my corporate credit card, which is not branded with a rewards organization (boo).

I'm currently a member (no status) with American, United, Jetblue, and Alaska. I have gold medallion status with Delta, but that's a holdover from my previous position -- where I now live, Delta is not a hub and has bad connections that are often more/most expensive than other options. I live in a large Northeastern city where American is the hub.

I'll be traveling to Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, China, Japan, Vietnam, South Korea, and possibly India, over the next year or so.

Given I don't have much choice in which airlines to fly, I'm still trying to maximize my "benefits" from so much flying.

Do you have suggestions for me? Do you think I should pick a "alliance" and try to maximize that? I'm really hoping to get complimentary premium economy upgrades (I have no delusions about biz class upgrades - HA) for these long-haul flights but just doing some cursory searches, it seems all my routes are cheapest on different carriers and I'm not sure how to most benefit from this travel.

upgrades

unclear right now, but probably >50,000 miles, mostly international

economy

No. Work, with a few "for pleasure" trips for my personal vacations.

A handful domestic, but will be majority USA to Asia

American hub, Northeast USA city

~200,000 in American; ~100,000 in United; ~350,000 in Delta (Gold medallion, but will lose next year); negligible in Alaska and Jetblue (maybe 20,000 each?)

The one I can get the most benefits from! LOL - actually, I am a fan of Delta, but it doesn't serve me well from my new hub.
Old May 8, 2016, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

hapuna Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by hapuna
My organization requires me to purchase the cheapest coach fare available ("within reason" -- e.g. I think I would be excepted from having to purchase a fare combo that requires like 4 connections and takes 2x the time as the other options, but generally speaking the cheapest "typical" routing for a trip). Additionally, I must purchase all airfare and hotel on my corporate credit card, which is not branded with a rewards organization (boo).

I'm currently a member (no status) with American, United, Jetblue, and Alaska. I have gold medallion status with Delta, but that's a holdover from my previous position -- where I now live, Delta is not a hub and has bad connections that are often more/most expensive than other options. I live in a large Northeastern city where American is the hub.

I'll be traveling to Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, China, Japan, Vietnam, South Korea, and possibly India, over the next year or so.
Flying long haul international on el cheapo economy fares your chances of upgrades on USA based airlines is low. Even with ff miles and cash co pay. Status and higher price economy fares may (or may not) help upgrades on AA, DL & UA. On non USA airlines zero chance of upgrade with miles or due to status:- its not the way non USA airlines work. Your USA airline miles/status are nothing to (most) non USA airlines. AA has upgrade arrangements with BA/IB, but that not where you going.

AS is partner of AA & DL, so the AS ff miles is a little wasted. Jetblue has limited international partners, but is a partner of EK(as is AS).

As you are in all 3 main USA ffp's it will depend on routes you fly (and cost). Some of these airlines & partners are stronger to different parts of the world.
Old May 9, 2016, 1:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If you can make it up to 100K on either AA or UA, that unlocks some doors in terms of international upgrades. Some of the destinations you listed from the east coast to Asia/Australia are 10,000 miles one way with a west coast connection. If you were going to hit that marker, there are some very distinct differences between what AA and UA offer at that level in terms of international upgrades on their own metal (min spend, amount of upgrades, fares, rules, destinations). Looking over all those destinations, are you sure you're not going to fly that much in a year?

One thing with AA's current distance based program is that partner metal may accrue less than full miles (0 on Cathay, 30% on JAL, 50% on Qantas). The AA codeshare can work you around that. I'm not up to speed yet on how all that changes when AA goes revenue based in the fall.

Tom in Las Vegas
Old May 11, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
>>> Reply: priority service, upgrades to economy premium/comfort/+, lounge access

>>> Reply: 60-110K, roughly 50% international

>>> Reply: economy

>>> Reply: yes, can choose airline but compelled to be within $250 of cheapest available ticket, fly for work

>>> Reply: 50-60% international (mostly europe, but some australia/asia)

>>> Reply: SFO

>>> Reply: UA Mileageplus Premiere Gold (but on track to be 1K this year)

>>> Reply: Although I am UA FFP member, I much prefer any non USA airline for transatlantic/pacific flights!
UA to Europe is terrible compared to Lufthansa/Swiss Air, etc. But I do like the E+ seating and assigned seat.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:41 am

This is amazing. What a great community, and looking forward to learning a lot and giving back soon! In the meantime, would love some opinions!

>>> Reply: Upgrades, priority services/lounge access, free travel

>>> Reply: Tripit says 56,000 miles so far this year, last couple years have been about 100,000.

>>> Reply: economy, premium economy

>>> Reply: Very rarely able to choose, mostly for work, mostly booked through Expedia.

>>> Reply: Domestic

>>> Reply: LAX

>>> Reply: Silver in Virgin America (38k) regular member on AA (58k), Delta (46k), Southwest (17k), United (10k), and Virgin Atlantic (12k). Also working on the SPG credit card promo right now.

>>> Reply: Virgin America (WiFi, lounge, experience), Delta (WiFi, entertainment system, larger flights)
Old May 11, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by bballdad175
>>> Reply: Although I am UA FFP member, I much prefer any non USA airline for transatlantic/pacific flights!
UA to Europe is terrible compared to Lufthansa/Swiss Air, etc. But I do like the E+ seating and assigned seat.
AA may not be your best option from SFO with their current program before they go revenue based. Buying deep discount economy on Cathay brings in zero miles as one example. If you bought the AA codeshare you'd get full miles, but you'd pay several hundred dollars more in my experience.

I don't have a handle on the new AA revenue based program that's coming in the fall to really address how partner travel falls into that.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by nloui
>>> Reply: Tripit says 56,000 miles so far this year, last couple years have been about 100,000.
The 100K level at both UA and AA offer international upgrades (systemwides/global upgrades). AA allows use of systemwides on any published fare on AA metal while UA requires at least a W fare which can be at the higher range of coach fares (and if you don't clear you've spent extra money that you won't get back beyond the lowest coach fare in the market).

UA upgrades are also good on Lufthansa though I've never used them there and you'd need a UA flyer to comment on the rules involved.

AA upgrades are good on BA but only on full-fare coach, so would not be of use to you there.

AA offers first class lounge access at the 100K level on any international itinerary - comes in handy in places like Sydney or Hong Kong which have stellar partner lounges. Also arrivals lounge access at LHR.

The problem with AA and SFO, though, is that it is not an AA hub so if you're flying AA metal international you're going to need to get to LAX or DFW. With UA, you're not going to have that issue with Asia or Australia. I have the time to make the connections (and my upgrade from Sydney later in the month on AA metal just cleared, so worth the LAX connection for that).
Old May 11, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Which one might be best for me:

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply:
Must - good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access
Good to have - priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, upgrades on travel

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply:
Between 40-50K, 80% in premium economy, anything above 40K is combo of business and economy
At least 30 sectors a year, I made 42 this year.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Reply:
International travel (80%): Premium economy
Domestic: Economy
Regional in Asia (traveling with family): Business

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:
I choose my airline.
For the past 5 years, flown almost exclusively on CX and AA.
Prior to that, was with star alliance (usually TG + UA/ CO/ US) and PR.
I travel mostly for pleasure (75%) then the rest for business.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often

Reply:
Transpacific has most of my miles.
USA domestic has most of my sectors.

(6) What is your home airport?

Reply:
Texas (ELP)

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply:
Currently Marco Polo Club Gold this year (silver the past two).

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:
CX only because of my FFP, but wanting to switch to SQ but I don't know if Krisflyer will offer the same level of benefits. Ditto AA/ AAdvantage.
Old May 14, 2016, 7:44 pm

Help a newbie about traveling to Japan

Trying to start collecting miles with the hopes of getting a couple of free flights to Japan. My home airport is Chicago. From what I gathered so far, my best bet is to try to pile a bunch of points into one program. Because Chicago is my home base, I was thinking AA would be the best. However, I have heard from other members that this may not be the best route. I know BA is good for international flights and have been told that star alliance has a better selection for award flights. I'd appreciate any advice that you give me to point me in a direction of which frequent flyer program I should join. Thanks in advance.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by tmdaniels9
Trying to start collecting miles with the hopes of getting a couple of free flights to Japan. My home airport is Chicago. From what I gathered so far, my best bet is to try to pile a bunch of points into one program. Because Chicago is my home base, I was thinking AA would be the best. However, I have heard from other members that this may not be the best route. I know BA is good for international flights and have been told that star alliance has a better selection for award flights. I'd appreciate any advice that you give me to point me in a direction of which frequent flyer program I should join. Thanks in advance.
Wrong forum. Read aa and ba and decide. I'd think aa is best if you are American and can churn ccs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.