FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Old May 8, 2016, 7:56 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hapuna Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by hapuna
My organization requires me to purchase the cheapest coach fare available ("within reason" -- e.g. I think I would be excepted from having to purchase a fare combo that requires like 4 connections and takes 2x the time as the other options, but generally speaking the cheapest "typical" routing for a trip). Additionally, I must purchase all airfare and hotel on my corporate credit card, which is not branded with a rewards organization (boo).

I'm currently a member (no status) with American, United, Jetblue, and Alaska. I have gold medallion status with Delta, but that's a holdover from my previous position -- where I now live, Delta is not a hub and has bad connections that are often more/most expensive than other options. I live in a large Northeastern city where American is the hub.

I'll be traveling to Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, China, Japan, Vietnam, South Korea, and possibly India, over the next year or so.
Flying long haul international on el cheapo economy fares your chances of upgrades on USA based airlines is low. Even with ff miles and cash co pay. Status and higher price economy fares may (or may not) help upgrades on AA, DL & UA. On non USA airlines zero chance of upgrade with miles or due to status:- its not the way non USA airlines work. Your USA airline miles/status are nothing to (most) non USA airlines. AA has upgrade arrangements with BA/IB, but that not where you going.

AS is partner of AA & DL, so the AS ff miles is a little wasted. Jetblue has limited international partners, but is a partner of EK(as is AS).

As you are in all 3 main USA ffp's it will depend on routes you fly (and cost). Some of these airlines & partners are stronger to different parts of the world.