Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:25 pm

Smile

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.

Largely care about strong earnings and high redemption opportunities (e.g.- how far do your 'miles' go!)

Fly SFO <-> SEA roughly 3x month. SFO <-> LHR 2-3x a year.

Usually economy. Premium-economy sometimes on long haul x-atlantic trips for family. Only flown 1st class twice.

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?

Yes, absolutely to both - and travel for business 95% of the time, if not more.

Domestic for frequency (SFO <-> SEA). 2-3x a year will be hitting up LHR though.

SFO

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?

Silver (Virgin America, Elevate) -- 15K (just redeemed some!), Silver (Virgin Atlantic, Flying Club) - 65K. I am SPG Platinum and hold the AMEX SPG card as well. My primary goal is to maximize SPG + Virgin where I can, or understand x-over plans and how to choose better options!

Have been loyal to Virgin Group, BUT I am SPG Platinum! Not keen on United/AA.

***THANK YOU ALL!***

Last edited by ar77; Jun 26, 2016 at 11:41 pm
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by lcpteck
>>> Reply: Upgrades and Priority services. Lounge access would be a plus.

>>> Reply: Between 20k-25k miles per year

>>> Reply: Cheapest Economy

>>> Reply: Yes, I fly for leisure only out of my own pocket.

>>> Reply: I fly mostly within Asia and 1 flight per year to Washington DC (IAD/DCA).

>>> Reply: SIN.

>>> Reply: I earned my MH Gold (Oneworld Sapphire) via flying 50 sectors per calendar year and accumulated 71k miles so far. However I'll be flying lesser and lesser next year onwards to reduce cost so may not be able to earn any status. I status matched to AZ Gold and O6 Gold which would expire in 2017 or 2018 I think.

>>> Reply: I have no preferred airlines but so far I've been flying mostly MH (you can check my flightdiary in the signature). My credit card points are usually transferred to SQ or CX to redeem for flights in business class.

My one flight per year to Washington DC is about 20k miles roundtrip so was thinking to bank on that to getting some useful status with an FFP. From SIN, I could do positioning flights to CGK, KUL, HKG, BKK, etc.. if needed. My one flight per year to Washington DC is a must, any other flights elsewhere are extras...

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
Any suggestions? I'm thinking to try OZ.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:03 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Hello everyone!
Below you can see my preferences, I would like to know your opinion too.

>>> upgrades, good award redemption

>>> less than 25k miles and up to 15 flights

>>> economy

>>> pleasure, sometimes work

>>> european and intercontinental for holidays

>>> OTP

>>> M&M: 10k miles, FB: 1,2k miles

>>> KLM and LH

I lived in Poland for a while and I had very good choices with LH, but now I moved in Bucharest, Romania and here the market is quite dominated by KLM/AF, is it worth starting to focus more on FB or to go ahead with M&M?

I like KLM but I want to fly for long-haul with A380, LH is perfect here, but also I would like to try KLM's B787, I just dont like B747 and thats why I would like to continue with M&M.

What do you think guys? Is a bit disappointing that M&M is giving me 125 miles/flight... what about FB? Which one is easier to collect and better exchange?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:44 pm

Trying to re-evaluate my FFP memberships. Thank you!

I have about 28k miles with AAdvantage, 4k miles with Aeroplan, and 6k miles with China Airlines.

(1) What is your home airport?
SEA, YVR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? The cheapest economy fares
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? <25K. Probably average <10K per year, with more lengthy trips every second year.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? None
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good award redemption rates. Most of my miles come from trans-Pacific flights, but my miles usually expire before I accumulate enough to redeem an international flight. I don't care much about the extras.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often [YVR or SEA] to [NRT and/or TPE]. Also SEA to SFO.
(7) Preferred Airlines EVA Air (to TPE), Japan Airlines or ANA (to Japan), Air Canada over U.S. carriers (to/from Canada), anything non-domestic.
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure. I can choose any airline.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by ar77

Largely care about strong earnings and high redemption opportunities (e.g.- how far do your 'miles' go!)

Fly SFO <-> SEA roughly 3x month. SFO <-> LHR 2-3x a year.

Usually economy. Premium-economy sometimes on long haul x-atlantic trips for family. Only flown 1st class twice.

Yes, absolutely to both - and travel for business 95% of the time, if not more.

Domestic for frequency (SFO <-> SEA). 2-3x a year will be hitting up LHR though.

SFO

Silver (Virgin America, Elevate) -- 15K (just redeemed some!), Silver (Virgin Atlantic, Flying Club) - 65K. I am SPG Platinum and hold the AMEX SPG card as well. My primary goal is to maximize SPG + Virgin where I can, or understand x-over plans and how to choose better options!

Have been loyal to Virgin Group, BUT I am SPG Platinum! Not keen on United/AA.

***THANK YOU ALL!***
It's hard to give you an answer because you present conflicting opinions. Your flying patterns strongly suggest UA - 1) Your home base is UA who has a hub in SFO, 2) UA flies nonstop to Seattle and LHR, the two primary destinations in your flight itineraries, 3) UA has a strong network to Asia. On the other hand, you say your are not keen on United. So I think you need to decide from your own perspective whether it is more important to choose an airline and program that offers the most rewards or a program with an airline you personally like.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:11 pm

Delta or Southwest

I've answered the required questions below:

Just started a new job and will be traveling from PHX -> CLE at least once per month. I'm mostly interested in Southwest or Delta, I might consider United. I know SW's reward program is simpler, but for these long flights, PHX -> ATL ~4hrs, Delta just seems nicer. I haven't flown Delta in probably 15 years and used to hate them, but my recent flight to CLE and back was very nice.

Southwest is simple and I always buy Early Bird checkin with them, but the cattle car ride for 4 hours isn't great. If I have to sit on a plane for that long, I don't want to hate it.

So, I'm trying to talk myself out of Delta so I can have a simpler reward program, but I'm just not sure I can fly SW all the time. Thoughts?

Here's my answers to the questions:

0.1. Do I check bags:
>>> Reply: rarely

0.2. Do my plans often change
>>> Reply: not usually

>>> Reply: priority services, upgrades. I will eventually redeem some miles, but most of my vacations are driving to California.

>>> Reply: 30k - 50k / year

>>> Reply: economy

>>> Reply: I can choose airline, but not class. I primarily fly for business.

>>> Reply: Domestic US, mostly PHX -> CLE -> PHX

>>> Reply: PHX

>>> Reply: Nothing significant

>>> Reply: Southwest, Delta, maybe United, I'll walk before I fly AA
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:36 pm

What's up everyone? I just created my account today, but I've been lurking and reading these forms heavily since around January. Anyway, I finally am accruing more means and opportunities to travel, and I want to be sure to make the most of it. I've been thinking of joining a FFP and figured this would be the best place to get some advice.

>>> Reply: Upgrades, priorioty services, lounge access, and good redemption rates are all high priority, but priority can change depending on type of flight (domestic, transatlantic, etc.)

>>> Reply: less than 25000 miles, currently 2-3 flights a year, should increase after I start working full time

>>> Reply: Economy

>>> Reply: I can choose airline and class of service. Travel mainly for leisure but will occasionally travel for business

>>> Reply: Domestic USA, plan to start flying more transatlantic and intra-Asia when I get more money. Usually fly BWI->MCO->BWI, BWI->BDL->BWI

>>> Reply: BWI, can also use DCA and IAD

>>> Reply: No FFP status

>>> Reply: Southwest, American, United
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:36 am

Hey all,

This is my first post -- thanks in advance for your help! My big question is that I currently fly United (Platinum status) because I live in Chicago. My husband and I will be moving to Portland, OR, so I plan to change over to a different airline. Given routes, I am planning to pick between Alaska and American (given that you can bank the miles for either airline).

I'm looking at Alaska, given that it has a hub at PDX, but Alaska's flights are obviously more limited in routes than American once you leave the Pacific NW. Alaska seems, however, to treat their customer better than American. Should I stick with Alaska, or does it make more sense to go with American so that I don't have to worry about not having access to perks (e.g. free upgrades) when I'm traveling across the country for work?

All input is appreciated!

>>> Reply: Complimentary upgrades. Would love to gain lounge access.

>>> Reply: More than 75,000 miles

>>> Reply: Typically economy

>>> Reply: Can choose airline; travel for work.

>>> Reply: Travel domestically in USA. Right now predominantly to BOS, NYC, and DFW

>>> Reply: Was ORD. Now moving over to PDX (husband got a new job)

>>> Reply: United Platinum

>>> Reply: Have been flying United exclusively while based out of ORD. Happy to switch to another.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:12 pm

Relocated to DEN. Which airline should I stick to?

>>> Reply: good award redemption , riority services and lounge access would be cool

>>> Reply: less than 25,000 miles. one round trip a quarter domestically. increases in the summer.

>>> Reply: premium economy, economy

>>> Reply: I'm able to choose. Work and Pleasure (more pleasure though)

>>> Reply: Mostly domestic. I will be traveling to Africa once a year for the next three years. I travel to Canada once a year or so and I'll also be going to asia/australia in the next 2 years.

>>> Reply: Denver - DEN

>>> Reply:

>>> Reply:I used to live in Altnata. I've grown fond of Delta but it doens't seem to be a big hub in Denver.

I'd like to pick one airline to stick to and enroll in the appropriate program. It looks like Frontier and United are the biggest Hubs here. Followed by Southwest. Is United the best Airline for Denver?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: VX Silver
I have a very quick question...

What would you prefer? 3000 miles in Alaska (flying in F) or 5000 Southwest points?

Need to book some travel and those are my options? It's a 4 hour flight so comfort does influence a little bit. I won't be able to reach Gold in Alaska this year but those miles might be helpful. I know 5000 southwest points are around $80.

Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:20 am

1million points to spend...but on which program?

Hi, I'm living in Japan and have collected 1,000,000 points on AMEX that can be transferred to any of the following airlines.

Emirates
Etihad
SQ
Cathay
Thai
Air France
Delta
Qatar
Alitalia
Virgin

Could you give me advise on how to use those points?
I'd like to go travelling all over the world(esp. europe and south america) on either business or first class but I usually get to go abroad only once or twice a year. Which makes me worried that some of the points might expire over the next three years.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:51 am

Knowing what you know, if you started from scratch, how would you do it?

First off, thanks to everyone for all of the wonderful information here. This forum has always been my go-to for info on how to make the most of my travelling. So much so that this is actually the first time I've posted in over 10 years!

So here's the deal. I previously was travelling for work about one week per month. In the last two years it's been down to only once every 3 months or so. Luckily for me, I'm getting a nice promotion at work and that will put me on our Field engineer team which means about 70% travel.

I expect to be travelling 3-4 days per week, mostly domestic US, but some international (canada, carribbean and one or two trips to Europe per year). I'm based out of PHL and have primarily used UA in the past, but since my travel started to slow over the last 2 years I've used the points to get my luggage (Tumi Continental Carry-on) and most of my hilton points are also used up.

So I look at this as an excellent opportunity to start over. I know the USAir and AA merger will affect me since I fly out of Philly. If you knew you were up for a lot of travel and would have control over the airlines hotels and rental cars, which would you use primarily for the best perks?

Home : PHL
expected 75-100k per year, possibly more. probably 2 different locations per week.

I've already signed up for global entry, waiting for the appointment to be scheduled.

Thanks to anyone that has read this, I look forward to your input!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What are your objectives from a ffp?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally however you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, ability to upgrade flights and possible operational upgrades.

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

airline - UA?
hotel - starwood?

i think the real thing to think about is what you would like to get out of it. whether that is a single big trip, or J/F flights, or many Y flights, or many cheap hotel nights, whatever.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:07 pm

What I'm looking to get out of the program would be upgrades and possibly lounge access eventually. I also want to make sure I pick an airline that I'll have a lot of options to fly out of PHL. I know I'm going to be flying a lot more, but hopefully I don't get 6 months in and wish I had been flying American or United or another option I hadn't thought of. I am limited to economy travel except when traveling overseas. I may use miles to take my family once a year, but that isn't my priority.

For hotels, ideally I can use points to cover a vacation stay here or there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.