Reload this Page >

New Member Roll Call!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Member Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:41 am

Hello all! My name is Mel, I started collecting miles and points after I got engaged in 2014. I figured with a wedding I would have a lot of expenses which I charged and it paid for our honeymoon flights to Cambodia in business class! Me the hubby could not believe we were able to get that with points and about $100 in taxes. We have booked our second trip this year to Japan with our points and now trying to stock pile for the next one! I hope to learn more from this forum!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Hello All. I've heard wonderful things about the forum and am excited to get started.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Hello All. I've heard wonderful things about the forum and am excited to get started.
Welcome to you, and to mzee10 as well !
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:43 pm

Hello all, new to FlyerTalk. Hoping to get help about this ever changing world of using miles and points! I've also started a help thread in hopes of gaining assistance with a flight I'm trying to book:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...re-points.html
Thanks!

Kenny Song.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA - Premier Silver
Hi folks!

Lurked FlyerTalk a bit years ago, but only started posting today. I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge that's been collectively accumulated in this community and am eager to learn as much as I can and start contributing. I consider myself a generally pretty savvy traveller/consumer, but I'm nowhere on your guys' level. (In videogame speak, you could call me a "filthy casual".)

I'm currently trying to figure out logistics for a 2-week vacation to Morocco this fall; if I can swing it with my points, this will be my first business (or first! dream big) class international flight for leisure (as opposed to work).
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:24 pm

Highball... er, avanti!

Hello, my mame is Alan, I fly out of EUG and PDX about once every few years; usually you find me on Amtrak. Just about to head out for LGB on JetBlue, with four young first-time iers. Wish me luck!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by rails_etc
Hello, my mame is Alan,...four young first-time iers. Wish me luck!
Luck and avanti to you and your crew.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:04 am

Hi All, I have been lurking around FlyerTalk for awhile now and more recently posted a trip report over on an Australian FF forum. Thought I would join the fun here at FT as well!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: Elevate, AA, Hilton Honors etc
Wink Newbie. happy find!

I found this site and thought it was so great. Spent hours reading, trying to learn. So much I have no idea about but I'm sure I get it, one day. The acronyms are the hardest. I've figured out the airport hubs but everything else goes right over my head! Duh and Doe ("Doe" is one of Homer Simpson favorite saying) I can really relate to that guy! Every post I read so far I'm saying to myself "Duh..what?"
So the first time I find this site I was so excieted, then fell asleep reading and forgot to "Save" the address, doe! I was lucky one day while searching and came across it again. Yipeeee! That's my whole life story.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by getawaygirl
I found this site and thought it was so great. Spent hours reading, trying to learn. So much I have no idea about but I'm sure I get it, one day. The acronyms are the hardest. I've figured out the airport hubs but everything else goes right over my head! Duh and Doe ("Doe" is one of Homer Simpson favorite saying) I can really relate to that guy! Every post I read so far I'm saying to myself "Duh..what?"
So the first time I find this site I was so excieted, then fell asleep reading and forgot to "Save" the address, doe! I was lucky one day while searching and came across it again. Yipeeee! That's my whole life story.
^ and welcome!

The acronyms and abbreviations get easier quickly. (FWIW [for what it's worth], I don't think most of us use shorthand to be exclusionary but rather because we type those things so often that the shorthand becomes much easier--and, in many cases, clearer, like saying JFK instead of "New York," which could be ambiguous with NY's three airports.)

If you go up to the very top of every FlyerTalk page, there's a blue banner, and on the right side, there's an option labeled "Help." Hover over that and a menu pops down. Inside that menu are two helpful things: the Glossary and the Airport Code Lookup.

That said, for airport codes (some of the more obscure ones still trip me up, like one I encountered yesterday: KOI, which turned out to be Orkney Islands, Scotland!), I usually find it easiest to just Google "XYZ airport code" and the answer is always in the top one or two search results.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:48 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rails_etc
Hello, my mame is Alan, I fly out of EUG and PDX about once every few years; usually you find me on Amtrak. Just about to head out for LGB on JetBlue, with four young first-time iers. Wish me luck!
Sounds like it'll be an adventure....good luck! ^

Originally Posted by bwhouse
Hi All, I have been lurking around FlyerTalk for awhile now and more recently posted a trip report over on an Australian FF forum. Thought I would join the fun here at FT as well!
Excellent- congrats on coming out of lurkerdom. And welcome!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: Elevate, AA, Hilton Honors etc
Thank you for the help, I can use any offered : )
Old May 2, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: QF, VA, SQ, IHG
Hello

Good evening. I'm an avid long-time lurker, keen passenger and general enthusiast not so much about the points (tho' I do like them ...) but about the experience even when most of my travel is on business. I've enjoyed and benefited greatly from the site, and perhaps sometime I can repay part of that at least.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
Hey, I'm Intheair2night!
I kinda found the benefits of points/miles without realizing how big it was a few years ago, and then stumbled across FT, churning and a whole bunch of resources a few months back, and have been lurking and learning ever since, and just have just kicked off my real foray into this!
Old May 13, 2017, 7:50 am

New in Colorado

Just found the forum a week or so ago when I was looking for reviews on Rimowa luggage. I fly 50-100K miles a year with 2 or 3 international trips and 1, (hopefully 2) Hawaii trips and a bunch of domestic legs. I live in Vail CO and try to fly exclusively United. Was a former 1K and am now a Premier Gold. Being 6'4", I book my trips by available seats and usually will buy up to First if reasonable. Oh, I did buy the Rimowa Topas carry on and 26" bag. Will be trying them out next week from Denver to Chicago to Frankfurt to Marseille, then from Marseille to Venice, and finally Florence to Munich and back to Denver. (I'm a wine importer)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.