Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:49 am

I'm going through customs with something wierd

I'm going through customs at BOM next week with a medical device that I am using for some training and then leaving it with our engineering team there. I was told that I need to show the invoice with $500 on it. I actually have another little simulator to go with it. Is $500 the magic number? they care if its biz equipment?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RDean
I'm going through customs at BOM next week with a medical device that I am using for some training and then leaving it with our engineering team there. I was told that I need to show the invoice with $500 on it. I actually have another little simulator to go with it. Is $500 the magic number? they care if its biz equipment?
doesn't matter what the invoice says....they have their own list with prices of pretty much everything....they will go by their list....
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:52 am

And so if they do have a list with an EKG machine on it, I have an invoice that shows what I paid for it - what do they do then? Its just training equipment. I wanted to make sure that they didn't like ask me for cash to bring it in.

We thought it would be safer for me to bring with me vs risk FedX losing it and paying 30% + shipping
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
A receipt doesn't really matter unless you plan to take the item with you when you leave. And even then, it isn't usually necessary. The value they assess for the item is based on a market value, not what you bought it for.
If you aren't planning on taking the item back with you, you will most likely be stuck with paying any applicable duties.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RDean
And so if they do have a list with an EKG machine on it, I have an invoice that shows what I paid for it - what do they do then? Its just training equipment. I wanted to make sure that they didn't like ask me for cash to bring it in.
the list they have will have the actual market value of the item....they don't care how much it cost you, they are only concerned with the real cost of the item....

if the real value is over $500 then in all likelihood you will have to pay duty on it....doesn't matter whether you bring it in yourself or have it sent via fedex....it its under $500 then you have nothing to worry about....
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:39 pm

Need suggestion!!

I am going back to india after 4 year.. I have student visa. I am planning to take iPhone, iPod and Camera and around 6-7 watches to give my family members.

Can I leave my stuff in India like iPhone, iPod and camera with my family, but I will tell custom that it is for my personal use while I stay in India? If They ask me when I return, I will tell them I lost them. Need advice.

What is limit for custom?

I am also planing to take xbox for my cousin. Do I have to pay tax on gifts?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If have any Indian passport and you are a returning student you will be SOL if they discover your gifts/belongings. 36% Duty is applicable on everything above a certain amount (equiv to 25000 INR).

http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

Technically you may get off as a tourist, but with 6-7 watches and a ton of electronic goods that are clearly gifts you are certainly above 25k and the story of 'just visiting, these are personal items' is one that the customs officer hear about 12 times a day
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:35 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rajeshpalakk
I am going back to india after 4 year.. I have student visa. I am planning to take iPhone, iPod and Camera and around 6-7 watches to give my family members.

Can I leave my stuff in India like iPhone, iPod and camera with my family, but I will tell custom that it is for my personal use while I stay in India? If They ask me when I return, I will tell them I lost them. Need advice.

You could try and do the right thing and pay the appropriate duty on the items you are planning to leave behind in India, than trying to game the system. As an Indian citizen travelling overseas, you likely wouldn't try and do this while entering Europe/US/UK/Australia/Canada - why do it while entering your own country?

[/rant]
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
There's a somewhat macabre joke about someone finding a way to ship gifts back to India duty free.

Googling for "malayali nurse coffin joke" will get you multiple variants of the joke.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold

This is Indian customs. We are waiting for you.
Please give us your flight details.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:30 pm
Suspended

I hope you are not among those who complain about corruption in India.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by Brahmin

and with a handle like FirstnameLastnameInitial - even without flight details - you should be able to find him.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:29 am

welcome to FT i must say this forum is not the forum to look for ways for evading duties - you are looking for the smuggler's forum....

u should not have a problem with iphone, ipod and camera but xbox and 6 watches should take you over the limit

also do remember that if u are coming from north america, the xbox will be pretty useless in India - different voltage & region

and of course the others here have given you some friendly advise which we all hope u follow

Originally Posted by Brahmin

Originally Posted by Yaatri
I hope you are not among those who complain about corruption in India.
+ 1 - of course the gr8 indian mentality is to complain when you are the victim of corruption but take advantage of it otherwise....
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: QF, SQ, GA
If I'm travelling to India on a conference visa and taking my laptop, iPhone and DSLR with me, all of which I do plan to take home with me after the conference...Do I need to be scrounging up receipts for customs?

Appreciate any advice. First trip to India.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TachOz
If I'm travelling to India on a conference visa and taking my laptop, iPhone and DSLR with me, all of which I do plan to take home with me after the conference...Do I need to be scrounging up receipts for customs?

Appreciate any advice. First trip to India.
you shouldn't have a problem....worse case scenario, if they do stop you then tell them to note the serial numbers & put them on your passport....they will then check on your way back if you still have the items....but it won't even come to this....as i said before, you shouldn't have any problems....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.