Wiki Posts
Search

Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by d3vski
Totally immoral.....

but corruption is good...as long as you are on the right side of it!

unfortunately for india and indians is that corruption has become the business norm in everyday life.

if you want passport...pay up or wait for a long time!
if you want planning permission...pay up or wait for a long time!
if you want train reservation...pay up or get no seat!
if you kiss wife in public...pay up or face an immorallity/indecency charge!
if you want anything...pay up or it will not happen!

My own relatives in India have paid up to get stuff done much much quicker!

MY family may be immoral by contributing to the problem but they are also realists and have not got inifty to wait for something to be done!
It is possible to get thins done without bribery or without "knowing" someone. Some people just feel they are too special and deserve to jump the line, who will use any means to do that, including bribery. If you bribe, don't complain about it as you are not guilt free
I got my passport in 1977 without having to bribe. everyone I know got their passport without bribing.

Even when I was in India, I never paid a bribe to secure a train reservation.
The same goes for what you called "planning permission. I suppose you mean having your construction plans approved.

Last edited by Yaatri; Apr 29, 2009 at 10:13 pm
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Hserus,

Well, the general consensus in this thread is that India is corrupt.

If your an average person in India, not some upcoming middle class but plainly average then corruption is alive and kicking in India.

I dont live in India but i have family who are still proudly average, not upcoming rich or pretentious and not wannabes but people who mind their own business and get on with things. They travel by train and they rent in modest but nice accomadations.

Ill give you a few examples:

My cousin had to bribe the BMC person who came to approve a permission to add extra bathrooms in the house.

My fiance/wife had to wait all day in the police station in Thane district to get her passport application approved by the police station.

My cousin paid off a policeman in when he got stopped on a motorcycle and he did not have a licence and helmet.

My mum had to get a copy of her birth certificate and it was all produced without anything being checked and was fast tracked when i paid money.

My cousin got his name added to his wife's passport as a spouse despite not having a marriage that is registered.

When i got i married in Thane district registry office, my photocopies of my documents were miraculously stamped/signed off as a certified copy by a magistrate despite my orignals being in london for about 200Rs.

I even managed to jump queue and get married without giving the statutory 30 day notice.

Ive been on trains where the Travelling ticket checker miracously finds a sleeping berth when money exchanges hands.

Ive even bribed the airport staff to allow excess baggage through.
There is no denying that there are corrupt officials in India. If you believe "but corruption is good -- as long as you or on the right side of it!" you don't get it. There is no right side of corruption. It's all wrong. You haven't got a leg to stand on when you complain about corruption.
Driving without a license on person and your cousin expects to be let go? Many of your examples show how people bribe LEOs so that the latter will overlook their offense. That's blatant corruption on the part of your relatives. My father got my birth certificate from the city of birth, 37 years after my birth without paying a s ingle rupee in bribe. It was not mandatory to register births when I was born. There is a legal procedure, you have to follow. It required proper evidence, documentary and circumstantial. Upon producing required evidence before a judge, the court issued an order to have my birth data recorded in the city records. This was in a city we had not lived in for 36 years.
You might be very proud of bribing the TTE to get a berth, but have you stopped to thunk that you deprived someone who should, legitimately, have been given that berth? The deprived person might have been an elderly person travelling for treatment, a pregnant woman travelling to be with her family, or a husband travelling home for the birth of his child. I travelled all over India by trains with my wife for two weeks. I never had to bribe anyone to secure a berth.
You have indulged in corrupt practices and you have the gall to complain?

Corruption is alive in India because people like you support it. Shame on you.

Last edited by Yaatri; Apr 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Funny argument here. Both people seem to be defending bribery, just from different ends. d3v thinks it's fine to bribe to get work done. sq makes valid points but I think fails to grasp that the main reason why people bribe in india is because it works.
I don't disagree that bribery works. Nor am I defending bribery. My point is, bribery is not the only way to make things work. Things work even without the bribery.

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Yes, the law is the law and you expect it to be followed by citizens, but I can't help thinking some Indian laws are only in place to discreetly draw revenue from foreigners (specifically NRI types). Take the Overseas Citizenship, for example (nothing more than a cash cow, marketed as a citizenship which it is not - can't vote, can't hold a govt. job, among other things). You don't even get a passport. Enjoy your Second Class Citizenship of India! /off-topic
yep its OT. Ive got OCI but only because for £160, i potentially never have to set foot in an Indian High Commission ever again and i have lifetime access to india! It is nothing more than a permanent residence permit based on the Indian ancestry (not ethnicity)! We get a lookalike passport type booklet! but with a lack of dual citizenship, its the closest thing i have to a political link to India!
I agree. To call it Overseas Citizenship of India is a factual mistake because it is not a "citizenship" per se. It is in fact a lifetime, multiple entry permanent resident visa (based on ancestry, as d3vski says). In ways it works because the holder can travel in and out of the country and reside indefinitely without having to register at the FRRO. Can take up employment without requiring any visa's.

The main reason why this was called a "citizenship" was to placate the NRI and PIO lobby groups lobbying for dual citizenship. The government can not allow Indians to hold dual citizenship (one of them being Indian) without a constitutional amendment. The easier way out was to devise a travel document that allows you to enter and exit the country as though you are a citizen, albeit it doesn't give you the right to vote, work in a government employment or hold elected office in the Parliament.

I believe whether to grant dual citizenship or not is the governments prerogative and if the Indian constitution prohibits dual citizenship, then that is how it will be for the near future.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SQ421
I don't disagree that bribery works. Nor am I defending bribery. My point is, bribery is not the only way to make things work. Things work even without the bribery.
Bribery works as well as theft does. They are both wrong. They both work as long as you ar e not caught at it. I agree with you that you can get things done without resorting to bribery. It's quite hypocritical of the poster to complain about bribery while bragging about all the things he got done that should not have ben allowed. What use is expressing your undying love for your India, yet encourage bribery and then complain about it! It's almost pathological.
Old May 4, 2009, 7:12 pm

Guys, please don't make this personal. Anyone and everyone who enjoys flying and traveling fits and belongs on FT, provided that they can keep things civil.

Last edited by ayeleswarapu; May 4, 2009 at 7:20 pm
Old May 4, 2009, 11:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

Closed for moderator review.

SanDiego1K
Senior Moderator
Old Aug 29, 2009, 4:07 am

Mumbai customs Forigen post Harresment and anarchy

Dear alll
This is to inform you that the Ballaed pier foriegn post has now become White Collared Robbers using
the govertment powers a criminaly is booked under the provision of law but these people are free i had
a horrible experince once again to begin with i am anceint indian coins collector i had order one udaipur
coin from ausralia which was despacthed on 5th August it never reached me on 25th august i really
got worried and called the seller he said he had despatched to this i said how come it did not reach me
when he send it by registered post? then i thought maybe its lying with Ballrd pier forigen post and
called them on 27aug yes i was right after repeated calls they confessed that they had my coins prior to this the coins was lying with them for more then 2 week's but they send no letter intimating they have my coin in thier posession.honestly i fell this is an attempt to rob you in a systematic way after months pass and there are no claims then they might be putting this in thier pockets or carrying it in thier homes this malpractice is being carried out since years because no one has made any complaint whatsoever against them.On 4 previous ocassions they have detained my coin but late released it after i payed the duty but this time one Ms naik was checking the books and said we have to do some dicussion regarding your coin i said why do u need to do that? when on past 4 ocassions your office has released the coin taking the duty now why? to this she had no answer and kept on looking at books why do they employee such officials with lack of knowledge? when Lakhs of able youth are unemployed in our country? further more she said all you youth are lazy and Useless(Nalayak) want everything fast all of you should be whipped(CHAPKYA NE FODLE PAHEZE) and all youth means i am also included that was it enough my pride was hurt this is not the language to be used while converstion she might have said this unintentionally but she said it as we say that once a bullet leaves a gun it cannot be called back what she said is smilar and so after office hours i went to Crawford market and i have made a F.I.R agaisnt her the cops were nice enough to do that as they understood my pain how can she say useless(nalayak)? without knowing a persons backgroud could she have said this to some senior police inspector? or a politician? the answer is No cause she might have lost her job on the spot but we as citizens have no value here in india we all are treated like trash sumtimes this is a difficult country to live day by day our anceint kings and heads were 1000 times better then this people it was said jehangir had a bell outside his palace and anytime anyone could ring it and make a complaint against the highest govt official and the emperor would take suitable action for this reason everyone was afarid to take bribes or do injustice but now all is a mess anybody does anything without any fear whatsoever today she used such unparlimentary Language tommrow this employess will take a stick and start to beat you ohh yes that can happen too if timely action is not taken all have to unite under one room and form a org and take them up to the Court then only then can the system
improve when there will be a judicial inquire in this matter for this i need all the troubled to take up this cause
in your life and fight for justice and lets see what your country and the able people can give us against this
non-performing and evil foregin post people may god save this country and its people from such anarchy
or else one day the doomesday will come near.
Youth is the future of our nation and the indian cricket team is full of youth not 50+ senior citizens.
Sachin Gupte
Since The british has left this country there has been
many wrong postings on bases of certian baised rules
and not merits as a result there is a high state of confusion in major govt orginization wrong people at the right place and vice versa it is very difficult to stay or work in this country if you are a law-abiding and honest citizen
on this grounds i will soon want to apply for political asylum as i feel this country with strife anarchy is highly
unsuitable for person like me here only money talks and
human values,ethics morale and justice is in pocket
some please help me to migrate to a better place my
wife is a indonesia i would want to go there but i am looking uk or germany as a permeanent spot of settlment
where people are well mannered decent and most imporatn honest and no-corrupt.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 4:47 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Welcome to FT sachin_12342.

Somehow, I concur with your opinion, and can confirm that some of this is true.

However, one has to bear with the current state of affairs, and try to change society through legal channels - I see you filed an F. I. R., so that at least they (Customs?) will be more careful when dealing with such issues in the future!

Originally Posted by sachin_12342
Dear alll
This is to inform you that the Ballaed pier foriegn post has now become White Collared Robbers using
the govertment powers a criminaly is booked under the provision of law but these people are free i had
a horrible experince once again to begin with i am anceint indian coins collector i had order one udaipur
coin from ausralia which was despacthed on 5th August it never reached me on 25th august i really
got worried and called the seller he said he had despatched to this i said how come it did not reach me
when he send it by registered post? then i thought maybe its lying with Ballrd pier forigen post and
called them on 27aug yes i was right after repeated calls they confessed that they had my coins prior to this the coins was lying with them for more then 2 week's but they send no letter intimating they have my coin in thier posession.honestly i fell this is an attempt to rob you in a systematic way after months pass and there are no claims then they might be putting this in thier pockets or carrying it in thier homes this malpractice is being carried out since years because no one has made any complaint whatsoever against them.On 4 previous ocassions they have detained my coin but late released it after i payed the duty but this time one Ms naik was checking the books and said we have to do some dicussion regarding your coin i said why do u need to do that? when on past 4 ocassions your office has released the coin taking the duty now why? to this she had no answer and kept on looking at books why do they employee such officials with lack of knowledge? when Lakhs of able youth are unemployed in our country? further more she said all you youth are lazy and Useless(Nalayak) want everything fast all of you should be whipped(CHAPKYA NE FODLE PAHEZE) and all youth means i am also included that was it enough my pride was hurt this is not the language to be used while converstion she might have said this unintentionally but she said it as we say that once a bullet leaves a gun it cannot be called back what she said is smilar and so after office hours i went to Crawford market and i have made a F.I.R agaisnt her the cops were nice enough to do that as they understood my pain how can she say useless(nalayak)? without knowing a persons backgroud could she have said this to some senior police inspector? or a politician? the answer is No cause she might have lost her job on the spot but we as citizens have no value here in india we all are treated like trash sumtimes this is a difficult country to live day by day our anceint kings and heads were 1000 times better then this people it was said jehangir had a bell outside his palace and anytime anyone could ring it and make a complaint against the highest govt official and the emperor would take suitable action for this reason everyone was afarid to take bribes or do injustice but now all is a mess anybody does anything without any fear whatsoever today she used such unparlimentary Language tommrow this employess will take a stick and start to beat you ohh yes that can happen too if timely action is not taken all have to unite under one room and form a org and take them up to the Court then only then can the system
improve when there will be a judicial inquire in this matter for this i need all the troubled to take up this cause
in your life and fight for justice and lets see what your country and the able people can give us against this
non-performing and evil foregin post people may god save this country and its people from such anarchy
or else one day the doomesday will come near.
Youth is the future of our nation and the indian cricket team is full of youth not 50+ senior citizens.
Sachin Gupte
Since The british has left this country there has been
many wrong postings on bases of certian baised rules
and not merits as a result there is a high state of confusion in major govt orginization wrong people at the right place and vice versa it is very difficult to stay or work in this country if you are a law-abiding and honest citizen
on this grounds i will soon want to apply for political asylum as i feel this country with strife anarchy is highly
unsuitable for person like me here only money talks and
human values,ethics morale and justice is in pocket
some please help me to migrate to a better place my
wife is a indonesia i would want to go there but i am looking uk or germany as a permeanent spot of settlment
where people are well mannered decent and most imporatn honest and no-corrupt.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 6:57 am

Leaving the fact aside of whether or not I agree with Superflyboy and the OP, I wonder if this is the right place on FT for this issue to be posted...

Last edited by ayeleswarapu; Aug 29, 2009 at 7:50 pm
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
The op wants his local newspaper. Or failing that a site like mouthshut.com which abounds with similar ranting about a whole lot of stuff.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: SQ, Marriott Lifetime
Originally Posted by SQ421
Given the duty free allowance for importing liquor into India is 2 bottles (no more than 2L), I believe the customs officers were well within their rights to ask you to pay duty.

While they had no business to harass you, your actions just seem to be that of a petulant person eager to have his/her way.
I concur. Regardless of who you are, I would be careful of doing that to anyone, in any country - it's rude, and possibly even illegal. Under India's Victorian laws, I'm surprised they didn't crack you one.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: SQ, Marriott Lifetime
All,

None of this low-level corruption stuff happens in Chandigarh or Panchkula. Good luck trying to bribe a policeman driving a Toyota Prius who speaks to you in English.

lol
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Just out of curiosity, how does one declare if you intend to take expensive goods outside the US and plan to return with it to the US? AFAIK one does not meet a customs officer while leaving the US.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Just out of curiosity, how does one declare if you intend to take expensive goods outside the US and plan to return with it to the US? AFAIK one does not meet a customs officer while leaving the US.
That is a good question, and probably deserves it's own thread in another forum - probably something to do with US immigration/customs.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by newbusmod
All,

None of this low-level corruption stuff happens in Chandigarh or Panchkula. Good luck trying to bribe a policeman driving a Toyota Prius who speaks to you in English.

lol
A Prius in Punjab??

Interesting...

I still think that policemen in Chandigarh would be paid on the lower side - similar to the rest of India.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.