Reload this Page >

Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:33 am

Help me in deciphering the customs Baggage rules (link inside)

I am returning to India in December 2012 and i have been here in US for the past 1 year on a work Visa. I am checking the Indian customs baggage rules document and am confused about a few things.
Here is the link...

http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

This document mentions that if someone is returning from other countries (except few listed there), then one is allowed 35000 Rupees duty free (document mentions 25000 but that is not updated it seems). This is sort of general rule and i am aware about this.

But then going down in the doc, i see a section named

SPECIAL ALLOWANCES FOR PROFESSIONALS RETURNING TO INDIA

It has mentioned that

Indian passenger returning after a stay of a minimum of 365 days during the preceding two years on termination of his work and who has not availed this concession in the preceding three years.

Used household articles and personal effects (which have been in the possession and use abroad of the passenger or his family for at least six months) and which are not mentioned in Annex.I , Annex. II & Annex. III upto an aggregate value of Rs.75,000/-

I am confused whether the above mentioned things are applicable to someone like me ? I was on work visa and stayed in US for more than an year. Also what all would be considered used as per them and how to prove that ? Bills ? I have 8 months to 1 year old bills of things that i am bringing back (electronics included).
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
what kind of items are you bringing back????
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
Usual clothes, one bag full of utensils
2 laptops (duty free right ?)
iPad 2 (bought in May 2012- Have receipt)
2 digital photo frames (used, bought in November 2011, have the receipts)
may be some chocolates
an iPod dock - bought in April 2012 - have bill
cheap perfume bottle - Cost less than 7$, have bill

and some other minor stuff. But most of the stuff is used and i have bills to prove that.

PS: We are 2 people traveling, me and my wife.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by rak007
I am returning to India in December 2012 and i have been here in US for the past 1 year on a work Visa. I am checking the Indian customs baggage rules document and am confused about a few things.
Here is the link...

This document mentions that if someone is returning from other countries (except few listed there), then one is allowed 35000 Rupees duty free (document mentions 25000 but that is not updated it seems). This is sort of general rule and i am aware about this.

But then going down in the doc, i see a section named

SPECIAL ALLOWANCES FOR PROFESSIONALS RETURNING TO INDIA

It has mentioned that

Indian passenger returning after a stay of a minimum of 365 days during the preceding two years on termination of his work and who has not availed this concession in the preceding three years.

Used household articles and personal effects (which have been in the possession and use abroad of the passenger or his family for at least six months) and which are not mentioned in Annex.I , Annex. II & Annex. III upto an aggregate value of Rs.75,000/-

I am confused whether the above mentioned things are applicable to someone like me ? I was on work visa and stayed in US for more than an year. Also what all would be considered used as per them and how to prove that ? Bills ? I have 8 months to 1 year old bills of things that i am bringing back (electronics included).
I think as long as you have the bills for your major items, it will be fine. Another way to make them appear used is to take them out of their boxes (and put them in a separate case, like with the iPad). But pay attention to the excluded items in the Annex... it includes computers, which I am not sure whether an iPad qualifies as one or not.

Also, you posted about this in another thread.. I will ask the mods to merge this with that one.

Last edited by Mr. Bean; Oct 4, 2012 at 8:54 pm
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
yes, i realized the high tariffs, but did not know about the ban on LHD vehicles. Thanks!
LHD vehicles can be imported temporarily.

Last edited by Yaatri; Oct 5, 2012 at 1:08 pm
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by Keyser
Usual clothes, one bag full of utensils
2 laptops (duty free right ?)
iPad 2 (bought in May 2012- Have receipt)
2 digital photo frames (used, bought in November 2011, have the receipts)
may be some chocolates
an iPod dock - bought in April 2012 - have bill
cheap perfume bottle - Cost less than 7$, have bill

and some other minor stuff. But most of the stuff is used and i have bills to prove that.

PS: We are 2 people traveling, me and my wife.
Chocolate is new or used?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:31 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by Yaatri

LHD vehicles can be imported temporarily.
wait, really? this must be a change now? do you have a link?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:59 pm

Question Need help urgent plz

Hi there,
I am travelling frm NZ to India nxt month for couple of months. I am taking new sony 46 inch LCD TV with me. Also, I have my DSLR camera which I bought frm NZ last year and will take it back to NZ whn I return frm India. Can anyone tell me how much custom I have to pay, also do I need to pay anything on my camera? THNX.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
wait, really? this must be a change now? do you have a link?
I am sorry Mr. Bean. I did not see this until today. I don't have a link, but temporary importation of many items, otherwise not allowed, is ALWAYS allowed for specific purposes. Extra paperwork is involved though.
Importing an item for demonstration or a competition. A car for a rally or a race. Foreign piplomats import their cars. under this provision

Most countries allow temporary importation with stipulation that the item would be exported after a specific period. I was able to import weapons into Singapore.

Last edited by Yaatri; Nov 1, 2012 at 1:20 pm
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Looking at the number of questions on customs duty on LCD/LED TVs, and other electronics,our mods might consider a a sitcky on customs questions. I don;t see forums for other destinations with so many questions about customs. This is uniquely Indian question/disease.

To harshadpats:
Questions about customs duty on TV etc have been discussed many times before. Please search this forum. You may have to have something noted on your passport that you will re-export the camera when you leave. I presume you are not taking the TV to India, just to take it back with you to NZ.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:09 am

Hello,
I have a question on customs allowance in India. Between the info here
and on the arrivals card, I'm trying to figure out what value of gifts I can take to India, duty free.

The arrivals form shows different allowances for 'tourists of foreign origin' (Rs 8000 for gifts and souvenirs) and 'tourists of Indian origin' (Rs 25,000).

I am a US-born US citizen, with parents/grandparents born in India.

Any idea how much gifts I can bring for family, and still go through the green channel?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by PA66
Hello,
and on the arrivals card, I'm trying to figure out what value of gifts I can take to India, duty free.

The arrivals form shows different allowances for 'tourists of foreign origin' (Rs 8000 for gifts and souvenirs) and 'tourists of Indian origin' (Rs 25,000).

Any idea how much gifts I can bring for family, and still go through the green channel?
I guess you fall under the 'tourists of foreign origin' category. Also there is a chance they might question you if you have things like DSLR Camera / iPad etc and might tell you to put them in passport saying you are going to carry them back.

Btw just a clarification, the other 'tourists of Indian origin' says it is 25000 but actually it is 35000 and the customs website is not yet updated.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: AGR Executive, UA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PA66
Hello,

My experience has been as long as you have reasonable amount of gifts eg 1 camera, 1 laptop, 1 ipad, liquor, 1 watch etc they usually don't harass folks with US passports. Act confident and don't make much eye contact. Keep moving and if questioned, question them back in an firm but polite tone. If all else fails you can say okay I will take it back and put it on my passport. Usually they never do that with US passports. They only harass folks with Indian passports. This has been my experience and I visit 3-4 times a year! YMMV
Old Nov 14, 2012, 4:03 pm

As the above post says, they indeed harass only Indian passport holders and treat them as if they are all bringing diamonds worth billion of dollars.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
As the above post says, they indeed harass only Indian passport holders and treat them as if they are all bringing diamonds worth billion of dollars.
i don't think they harass anyone....the fact of the matter is that most tourists coming to india plan on taking back the items they have brought with them, whereas most indians returning home usually have items valued at more than their duty free allowance which they fail to declare....these people should be stopped & made to pay the applicable duty....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.