Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Just a data point here. Went through Mumbai airport a few weeks ago with a sizeable sum of USD cash that needed to be declared. The process could not have been smoother and the customs folks could not have been more helpful.

No hafta demanded, no illogical bureaucratic red tape, nothing. Just fill the form, count the cash, sign on the dotted line and on your way. 10 minutes tops. And even got a "welcome home" from them.

Shocking, truly shocking. Have customs become civilised all of a sudden?
Thanks for the info. Hope it stays that way.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Just a data point here. Went through Mumbai airport a few weeks ago with a sizeable sum of USD cash that needed to be declared. The process could not have been smoother and the customs folks could not have been more helpful.

No hafta demanded, no illogical bureaucratic red tape, nothing. Just fill the form, count the cash, sign on the dotted line and on your way. 10 minutes tops. And even got a "welcome home" from them.

Shocking, truly shocking. Have customs become civilised all of a sudden?

The xth pay commission has done its job that they get a decent pay... plus you were not hiding anything so you were on an equal footing. If they (or pretty much any customs officer anywhere in the world) catch you cheating then they call the shots and have a different POV
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by Keyser
customs have been civilised for a long time....its a few bad officers that give everyone a bad name....even those bad officers can't do jack $hit if you are prepared to declare the goods & pay duty....
+1 A lot of work has gone in to civilising customs Bombay was the last holdout (underworld problem) . I think its ok now from all I read including here

Everyone on this thread... In all cases of dispute please ask, nay insist, on seeing the duty Assistant Collector of Customs at the airport. That will go a long way in getting a legal resolution.There is one on duty 24 hours a day. Officers have clear instructions from ther Ministry of Finance, to honour the spirit, not just the letter, of the law. So anything excessive should be declared for re export but reasonable tourist or buisiness equipment is exempt And just like anywhere else, aggression, DYKWIA behaviour etc with government staff performing their duty is punishable... (unless you really are someone important in the Indian case, of course, in which case your entry should have been prearranged anyway)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The xth pay commission has done its job that they get a decent pay... plus you were not hiding anything so you were on an equal footing. If they (or pretty much any customs officer anywhere in the world) catch you cheating then they call the shots and have a different POV
Customs has been cleaned up substantially when it comes to what goes on at airports. When it comes to customs at surface ports of entry, it's nowhere near as clean. And their getting caught is not the same at airports as at surface crossings.

"A culture of shame (rather than guilt) ensures that for many .... the crime of corruption is only the crime of getting caught." That covers customs officials still, even as S. Dhume was directing it elsewhere.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
you know sadanand dhume, guwonder?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hserus
you know sadanand dhume, guwonder?
While Delhi, NYC and DC aren't exactly the biggest of worlds when it comes to casually running into people in some circles with some shared interests, can't say I know him as much as I can I say I know about him by what he says or writes.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Customs has been cleaned up substantially when it comes to what goes on at airports. When it comes to customs at surface ports of entry, it's nowhere near as clean. And their getting caught is not the same at airports as at surface crossings.

"A culture of shame (rather than guilt) ensures that for many .... the crime of corruption is only the crime of getting caught." That covers customs officials still, even as S. Dhume was directing it elsewhere.
By surface ports, do you include the port of Mumbai or only land crossings? We were playing around with the idea of shipping a vehicle to India (yeah...) and wondering what type of hassles we could get from customs.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
By surface ports, do you include the port of Mumbai or only land crossings? We were playing around with the idea of shipping a vehicle to India (yeah...) and wondering what type of hassles we could get from customs.
no hassle at all if all your paperwork is in order & you are ready to pay the correct duty....
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Shipping a vehicle to India for personal use involves facing the prospect of corruption but it is now substantially less of a problem than used to be the case two or more decades ago. [I'd include sea ports as well as land crossings, but the land crossings are by far much worse.

If the documents and related formalities (any tariff due included) are performed by or with the assistance of a freight forwarder and/or customs handling agent, there shouldn't be any hassle worse than a limited delay in terms of customs. I wouldn't hesitate to ship a personal vehicle for use on India's roads -- not a collector's item -- but I'd make sure to be insured properly for loss or damage of the vehicle, its parts and contents in or on the vehicle.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
no hassle at all if all your paperwork is in order & you are ready to pay the correct duty....
+1. Mr Bean, please acquaint yourself with the extremely high import tariffs involved, including on used vehicles. There was talk of disallowing imports of left hand drive vehicles... Unsure what happened but do check on this, too, if relevant.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rathin100
There was talk of disallowing imports of left hand drive vehicles... Unsure what happened but do check on this, too, if relevant.
its been disallowed....
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
yes, i realized the high tariffs, but did not know about the ban on LHD vehicles. Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2011, 6:50 pm

yes, i realized the high tariffs, but did not know about the ban on LHD vehicles. Thanks!
I am sure you know this but it's possible to import an RHd version of almost any make into India, using company reps, if you are not daunted by the tariff. I'm happy to point you in the right direction with more specifics, PM if you wish.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 4:49 am
Suspended

Transfer of residence used to sometimes help with tariff expense management. Something to look into perhaps.

its been disallowed....
Disallowed as in restricted in large part; yet not disallowed completely.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Went through Mumbai custom a few days ago and there were no hassles or problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.