Reload this Page >

Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:36 am

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
[QUOTE=newbusmod;12413388]All,

None of this low-level corruption stuff happens in Chandigarh or Panchkula. Good luck trying to bribe a policeman driving a Toyota Prius who speaks to you in English.

lol[/QUOT^ Punjab Police drives Maruti Gypsy's or Enfield Motorbikes in Chandigarh or Panchkula.

Bribing them too is not a problem.

As of today there is NO Prius in Punjab or Chandigarh. Trust me on this one pls.

EGT
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:59 am

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by safari_7
a-320,

As an Indian who travels twice a year to the USA, I get out of the airport usually in about 15 minutes (unless I am stuck in line at JFK immigrations). Don't try to tell me that Indians are treated cheap overseas. That isn't true at all........ if at all, we are treated with respect and courtesy.

It's only in Mumbai where you feel like you are dis-respected. On the other hand, it's these folks at the airports that make you feel awkward. I can use derrogatory references right now, but, won't be necessary to make a point.

But, yes ..... I did already admit in one of the posts that I was in the wrong for not having the required paper work.

Yet - I don't see why I have to come through the Red channel for goods purchased in India. For one thing, India is now a free market and all forms of Luxury brands are today readily available in India.

Let's not down play the image of the good customs officials - in fact, quite contradictory - they are what they always were in the old days (looking for the quick buck)
Totally agree. BOM immigration (and emigration) can be rough at times, and so do customs. But you must understand the social class from where these people come from. Most are lower middle class, first-time educated in their families. As such, lack of courtesy is equated to authority in India, so they may be excused for being gruff. However, since I have entered (and re-entered) India, returning as a traveling biz exec, NRI worker, tourist and student at different times in the last 10 years, I have realized that a poker face and a mild manner usually gets you off the backs of these guys.

On the other hand, I had some very interesting experiences with US immigration - one time a chap in BOS actually had a very animated conversation with me about a NatGeo program he had seen earlier about the IITs (he recollected that Gandhi started them IITs!!!, when it was actually Nehru) in an effort to calm me down since I was distraught I had forgotten to bring my L1B petition alongwith me (my employer screwed up)....Apparently, he told me that they track a flyer's entry/exit history using the passport numbers, and usually dont bother ppl with immaculate histories, since they already have all details present on the petition in electronic form in front of their screens beforehand. The paper you carry is usually helpful for first-time/infrequent flyers.

Another time, I had taken a longish route, and being exhausted, fumbled on the purpose of my visit (which I have done countless times before and after that incident) at ORD, and the immigration chap was nice enough to understand, nod his head in approval and egg me on!!!

Nothing of this sort will you ever see in India, even if they fill the desks with educated folks!!!

Last edited by parthochoudhury; Jun 7, 2010 at 6:10 am
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
What's also worth noting, is that the staff manning the immigration/emigration counters, particularly on the late night / early morning shifts, are basically people from the police force that are deputed here. Effectively, they draw the short straw and end up here. There are others - and I know one of them - who is essentially a cop, but an honest one. She doesn't approve of the corruption that goes on in the regular police force, so in spite of the timings, she considers airport postings a blessing !
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:24 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Just out of curiosity, how does one declare if you intend to take expensive goods outside the US and plan to return with it to the US? AFAIK one does not meet a customs officer while leaving the US.
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
That is a good question, and probably deserves it's own thread in another forum - probably something to do with US immigration/customs.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...ster_items.xml
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Most immigration officers (Police Special Branch) are very professional in BOM - never had a problem, ever.

However, this thread is about Customs (at BOM), and they are also behaving themselves quite well nowadays...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Most immigration officers (Police Special Branch) are very professional in BOM - never had a problem, ever.
I've never had an issue myself with passport control at BOM (nor anywhere else in India). There used to be issues for others but that is largely a relic of the past and has been a relic for the better part of a decade.

However, this thread is about Customs (at BOM), and they are also behaving themselves quite well nowadays...
They are indeed much better behaved nowadays than they were several years ago and before.

Things have been polished up in a number of ways.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:26 pm

I am travelling from US to Kochi via Mumbai. Going on a vacation and back to US after 20 days. I am planning to carry my DSLR camera with multiple lenses plus a laptop. Any hopes I would be able to pass through the immigration with NO issues? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Thanks a lot in advance,
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by unni_2709
I am travelling from US to Kochi via Mumbai. Going on a vacation and back to US after 20 days. I am planning to carry my DSLR camera with multiple lenses plus a laptop. Any hopes I would be able to pass through the immigration with NO issues? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Thanks a lot in advance,
welcome to ft unni_2709....

you should not have any problems....it would be a good idea to get the items stamped on your passport in the US....this way you can prove you will be taking the same items back....
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
welcome to ft unni_2709....

you should not have any problems....it would be a good idea to get the items stamped on your passport in the US....this way you can prove you will be taking the same items back....
What he said.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:12 pm
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
Originally Posted by vikaga
What he said.
Really? I'm heading there too in the fall. So I should have my phone/netbook/camera all stamped into my passport before leaving?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Phone and netbook won't be a problem. If you have a fancy camera with multiple lenses it would be wise to get it stamped.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:05 pm

Immigration officers are usually well behaved these days. Back in the 1980s, they were mostly Pandu Hawaldars from rural areas. They may have been a bit rustic which may have appeared a bit rude to the city folks and foreigners.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by himmat01
Immigration officers are usually well behaved these days. Back in the 1980s, they were mostly Pandu Hawaldars from rural areas. They may have been a bit rustic which may have appeared a bit rude to the city folks and foreigners.
welcome to ft himmat01....i don't think people here have an issue with rude immigration officers....we are discussing corrupt customs officials....
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:17 am

Just a data point here. Went through Mumbai airport a few weeks ago with a sizeable sum of USD cash that needed to be declared. The process could not have been smoother and the customs folks could not have been more helpful.

No hafta demanded, no illogical bureaucratic red tape, nothing. Just fill the form, count the cash, sign on the dotted line and on your way. 10 minutes tops. And even got a "welcome home" from them.

Shocking, truly shocking. Have customs become civilised all of a sudden?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Shocking, truly shocking. Have customs become civilised all of a sudden?
customs have been civilised for a long time....its a few bad officers that give everyone a bad name....even those bad officers can't do jack $hit if you are prepared to declare the goods & pay duty....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.