Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by TachOz
If I'm travelling to India on a conference visa and taking my laptop, iPhone and DSLR with me, all of which I do plan to take home with me after the conference...Do I need to be scrounging up receipts for customs?

Appreciate any advice. First trip to India.
No, just declare them as personal items and have them written up in your passport (laptop/iphone should be OK - DSLR should be written up if it has several extra lenses etc). I have gone through Indian customs with laptops and phones without any problem - without even declaring them. But then I never had any intention of gaming the system.... so no worries there.

Am really glad to hear BOM customs have cleaned up. As posted on this thread previously, my 2 past experiences with them have been nothing short of horrendous. Most recent one (in 2010) was OK.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: QF, SQ, GA
Originally Posted by pindi
No, just declare them as personal items and have them written up in your passport (laptop/iphone should be OK - DSLR should be written up if it has several extra lenses etc). I have gone through Indian customs with laptops and phones without any problem - without even declaring them. But then I never had any intention of gaming the system.... so no worries there.
Thanks I have no intention of gaming the system. I'm only taking my SLR with one lens, since I only get one day of sightseeing on the trip, and it's about 4 years old. Still need to be written up? Or should be ok under personal items?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Then he yelled at the officer "yaar tumhe kitnee baar kaha hai ke foreigners ko mat tang kiya karo"-- "How many times have I told you not to harass foreigners".
I've found that just waving my American Passport along with the word "lawyer" is enough to get them off my back...
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat
as a White US Citizen I got through with no issues last night.

My coworker who is a white female from the USA got harassed because she did not put in enough information for the hotel we were staying at.

No issue with my laptop, kindle, ipad, iphone, and android phone I carried through though.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i think the title of this thread needs to change....it sounds like the op is giving a warning to the customs officials in mumbai....
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
I've been waved through the green channel the last three times flying into BOM in the last couple of months. Haven't had to do the customs x-ray at all. ^
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by systembomb
as a White US Citizen I got through with no issues last night.

My coworker who is a white female from the USA got harassed because she did not put in enough information for the hotel we were staying at.

No issue with my laptop, kindle, ipad, iphone, and android phone I carried through though.
Contrary to the treatment accorded some people of colour, in some freedom loving democracies of the western world, foreigners, especially white, are almost never harassed by customs guys, unless they get caught smugglling drugs or arms.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:32 am

What about taking 1 personal Macbook, Ipad and digital camera as a gift for someone else. Also, 1 bottle of wine and 6 pack beer. Are carrying all these items ok through the Mumbai customs. Going into Mumbai first time, living in USA.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:44 am

Indian Customs

I have had an bad experience with Dehli Customs where I had a Carnet to do some demonstration of radio equipment for the Indian airforce. Now one would think that a Carnet would give free passge after they have seen the equipment and stamped that it had come into the country. No I had to have permission from the chief of the Indin airforce which with beaurocracy took 3 days and then another 2 days of paperwork to get it out of the warehouse where it was impounded plus warfage fees. All the time there was the inuendo of that the value was 10 times the annual salary of the chief supt, wanting a bribe which I am not allowed to do and wouldn't do on principle. Now when I go to india I have a copy of the letter which actually states the law of a Carnet which is an agreementr between countries that tax would be paid if goods do not return to the country of origin. This is signed by the chief of the airforce so it puts them on the backfoot as I use a wing commander to gret me whereever I enter. I hate corruption and will not be part of it in any shape or form as my country South Africa is riddled with it
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by KimCy1
I have had an bad experience with Dehli Customs where I had a Carnet to do some demonstration of radio equipment for the Indian airforce. Now one would think that a Carnet would give free passge after they have seen the equipment and stamped that it had come into the country. No I had to have permission from the chief of the Indin airforce which with beaurocracy took 3 days and then another 2 days of paperwork to get it out of the warehouse where it was impounded plus warfage fees. All the time there was the inuendo of that the value was 10 times the annual salary of the chief supt, wanting a bribe which I am not allowed to do and wouldn't do on principle. Now when I go to india I have a copy of the letter which actually states the law of a Carnet which is an agreementr between countries that tax would be paid if goods do not return to the country of origin. This is signed by the chief of the airforce so it puts them on the backfoot as I use a wing commander to gret me whereever I enter. I hate corruption and will not be part of it in any shape or form as my country South Africa is riddled with it
Did you bring it in as personal baggage or import it through other methods?

Normally a clearing agent would deal with Customs, so you wouldn't have the headache of dealing with them yourselves.

Interesting that even that it was for the Indian Air Force, they still wanted a bribe!

(Oh wait, it's probably *because* it was for the Air Force that they knew you were paying out bribes - sorry, I couldn't resist )

Edited To Add: And yes, cargo imported under a Carnet filed properly should not attract any Customs duties, taxes or otherwise...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Jun 19, 2012 at 2:50 am
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Customs in Delhi is very tuned into catching dual use goods. Defense contractors seem to have been very generous with cash gifts at every point so it has created expectations...
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Well done -- we need more people to take a stand as you did.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:43 pm
Suspended

It's probably more an issue of not knowing, than not having a letter. As to "innuendos", it's instinct. For a price, you can get anything through customs. The same people who complain about corruption use it to their advantage when they want to import iPhones, iPads, LCD/LED Tvs, laptops etc.

I am not saying this was the situation in your case, simple possession of Carnet is not enough. You have to ensure that, the passage was processed properly, and you have a stamped receipt in your Carnet duely signed and affixed by customs officials.

I don't know what the requirements are in India for re-exporting items imported into the country via a Carnet. You might have met all the requirment, or you might not have. I don't know. You did make proper arrangements for importing the item into the country duty free. I don't know if there are exit formalities to be completed by the people for who the demo was intended.
There are procedures to be followed for import/re-import and export/re-export of goods. Just like a simple possession of a passport and visa might not be sufficient, the same is true for Carnet.
Chief Commissioner of Customs Mumbai

Last edited by Yaatri; Jun 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:36 pm

It is me and my wife returning back to India, 2 months later and we have been away (in US) for more than a year. We have household stuff like utensils etc and in addition we have few electronics stuff like digital photo frames, iPad, Laptop(2).
Is the customs allowance any different for someone returning after an year as opposed to someone who travelled on a visitor visa ?
Or it is the usual 35000 Rs per person ?
Also will it be a good idea to carry bills of all the things that i am bringing back to show they are used and old (most things are more than 6-8 months old) ?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by rak007
It is me and my wife returning back to India, 2 months later and we have been away (in US) for more than a year. We have household stuff like utensils etc and in addition we have few electronics stuff like digital photo frames, iPad, Laptop(2).
Is the customs allowance any different for someone returning after an year as opposed to someone who travelled on a visitor visa ?
Or it is the usual 35000 Rs per person ?
Also will it be a good idea to carry bills of all the things that i am bringing back to show they are used and old (most things are more than 6-8 months old) ?
http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

Scroll down to the section titled 'SPECIAL ALLOWANCES FOR PROFESSIONALS RETURNING TO INDIA'

Hope that helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.