Reload this Page >

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Please check out the parallel thread in the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers forum:

Global Entry for Citizens of India
Print Wikipost

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by anirudh666

I wanted to get some personal records from NSA and FBI, and they said on their website that I’d have to file a request under Privacy Act rather than FoIA due to my not having green card/citizenship.
It's just opposite. PA is limited to LPRs or citizens. FOIA is open. Most agencies just one have one standard form to allow such requests under both the act. Depending on the nature of request, they evaluate the suitability of release of information within the scope of both the act. Obviously, requestor and the subject information is sufficiently collected for determination of appropriate response.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by sherkhan
Yup, Im still waiting too. Visited PSK Sept 29, 2017 and police verification done the next day. Radio silence since :/
Even I've been waiting since September 2017. My application was submitted on 21st August with police verification completed in the next week.
There has been no update on my request when i tried to follow up with PSK/MEA/MoF/MHA on Twitter. The standard response is its pending MHA/MoF clearance. There is no way to contact those departments regarding the application status
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:00 am

This is the reply i got from RPO Mumbai regarding my application
"Case referred to Foreigners Dvn., MHA, NDCCII, New Delhi-1 and MoF,Dept of Rev., CEIB, Janpath Bhavan, New Delhi 1."
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by obelix1
Thanks for standing-up for the community. It'd be interesting to see the response. But, personally, I think Section 8(1) f is just too strong to get deny it outright. That's why it's spelled out there as well.

Your above statement only tells the half story. This is what happened - "GEP verification is carried out against an application made by an Indian Citizen to the USG (CBP). and on payment of a ₹ 500 fee.

We have to submit application to CBP first and then they notify to GOI for further background check as part of the bilateral agreement. The benefit we are seeking here is provided by USG unilaterally with GOI having zero say in the matter whether an Individual should/shouldn't get the benefit. So, Section 8 (1) f under RTI Act is very much relevant to deny the information.

Let's see how it plays out.

Hahaha! Obelix1, you don't seem to have a legal background. Did you apply for GEP verification in India ? If you did, you will recollect that you went to the passport India website and completed a request for GEP verification. You then went and paid ₹ 500 for it. The Indian Passport Office only took action after you applied. There may have been e-mails sent out earlier, including by CBP, but the Indian authorities did nothing until you applied and paid in India Therefore technically they acted on your application as an Indian Citizen. Also, they charged YOU ₹ 500. If they were acting for the US Government, they would have charged the USG! There is lots of case law regarding services for which GOI has levied a charge. Anyway, let's see what happens.

Good luck to you all!

Last edited by EasternPedlar; Mar 13, 2018 at 3:18 am
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Rohitp
This is the reply i got from RPO Mumbai regarding my application
"Case referred to Foreigners Dvn., MHA, NDCCII, New Delhi-1 and MoF,Dept of Rev., CEIB, Janpath Bhavan, New Delhi 1."
How did you make this inquiry? In person? Online?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by anirudh666
How did you make this inquiry? In person? Online?
i was trying to get an update from RPO Mumbai and MEA via Twitter. That was RPO Mumbai's Twitter reply based on the application number i provided
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: EY
I'ma USC willing to make a FOIA enquiry, since it seems to be ambiguous as to whether USC or GC can do it. But if anyone with a more legal background would be able to write up, or tell me how to write, the actual enquiry, I'd appreciate it. I'd hate to submit something and receive a response ten months later saying that the request was 'too vague.'
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by EasternPedlar
Hahaha! Obelix1, you don't seem to have a legal background. Did you apply for GEP verification in India ? If you did, you will recollect that you went to the passport India website and completed a request for GEP verification. You then went and paid ₹ 500 for it. The Indian Passport Office only took action after you applied. There may have been e-mails sent out earlier, including by CBP, but the Indian authorities did nothing until you applied and paid in India Therefore technically they acted on your application as an Indian Citizen. Also, they charged YOU ₹ 500. If they were acting for the US Government, they would have charged the USG! There is lots of case law regarding services for which GOI has levied a charge. Anyway, let's see what happens.

Good luck to you all!
I take that you are licensed to practice law in one the countries as you brought legal background connotation. And, you are absolutely right, I'm not licensed to practice law in my country of residence (US) or have any formal legal education.

Also, thanks for paraphrasing the "Application Process" provided by CBP. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ndian-citizens

I just have one question - Can you share RTI Act section, as officially released by Ministry of Law and Justic, that confirms that "RTI exemptions will not be applicable if govt agency collected fee for a service"?

I'll be glad to learn something new with your help.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:26 pm

I applied for global entry back in july 2017 and completed GEP verification at passport office in india.
all this time application was showing pending. This week I received an email that my application status changed and I checked that the status is changed to Denied
I was confused and I contacted cbp info center via email. I received below response from cbp info center.

Response Via Email (CBP Officer)03/15/2018 05:28 PMThank you for contacting U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) Information Center.

Your application has been processed by the U.S. and was denied by your home country, India. We do not have specifics on your country's approval process. Please reach out to your government customs or immigration body.
Response Via Email (CBP ESTA Officer)03/15/2018 05:27 PMHello,

Your application was denied by your country INDIA as you do not meet program requirements.
I still have no idea about the reason. I have submitted Grievance request on Passport India website.

Has anyone faced such a situation? Does anyone have any idea how I should tackle this?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by joyshukla
I applied for global entry back in july 2017 and completed GEP verification at passport office in india.
all this time application was showing pending. This week I received an email that my application status changed and I checked that the status is changed to Denied

Has anyone faced such a situation? Does anyone have any idea how I should tackle this?
Sorry to hear about this - I am thinking it maybe be a mistake/error on part of MEA. When did you complete the visit to the PSK? Did you have any issues with the police verification?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:01 pm

I was confused and I contacted cbp info center via email. I received below response from cbp info center.

I still have no idea about the reason. I have submitted Grievance request on Passport India website.

Do you have any contacts in the center or state govt?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by airplane7
I completed my PSK visit in july last year. no didnt have any issue with police verification.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by airplane7
not really
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:06 pm

not really
That's what you need if you don't want to go through endless emails. I think you should start by contacting PSK
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

when & where did you complete your gep verification in india????

also, i'm assuming you are not an indian resident, is that correct????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.