Reload this Page >

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Please check out the parallel thread in the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers forum:

Global Entry for Citizens of India
Print Wikipost

India joins US Global Entry programme.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:44 am

The online GEP opened on the 7th of July for people resident in India. The announcement was made on July 6th by USCBP. If you got it on the 3rd then you must the Ambassador I am talking to.

Process followed was online GEP 7th July. GEP approval took about 4 working days & I was notified. It too another 2 days to go live on the portal of the passport sewa kendra. I took the appointment for the next day itself which I think was 13 July. I went to the passport Kendra in New Delhi near CP. Got finger printed & every thing & was told Police verification would be in next 30 days. Got a call from the Cops on my way back home itself asking when they can come over. As luck would have it the prior week itself I had a police verification done for a prior matter & was the same guy. He came over & told me it would take about 10 days to get loaded into the system. It took about 4 days to show up as verification complete & then it went into a holding pattern.

I am assuming I might have been person # 2 at that passport sewa kendra???? The cop for sure had no idea what it was & actually made me walk him thru GEP over the web. He also told me he had another person form the neighbourhood who was GEP approved & he was going there next.

To clarify from the USA CBP level enough people have gotten approved. It seems no one has gotten approved from the MEA here in India & therefore approval showing pending in CBP website. Once MEA gets its act together there will be a sudden flow.

Till then holding pattern as enough fuel in the tanks
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Dev Lall
The online GEP opened on the 7th of July for people resident in India. The announcement was made on July 6th by USCBP. If you got it on the 3rd then you must the Ambassador I am talking to.
sorry my friend but you are grossly misinformed....i wish i was the ambassador....then i would have already been approved for global entry....

read the first few posts in this thread & you will get an idea of the timeline....they started taking applications towards the end of june....if i remember correctly then i applied on the 29th of june....i received the email from passport seva on the 2nd of july & my appointment was fixed for the next day, 3rd of july....post # 21 has all the details of what happened at the interview....

there are other posters on this thread who also submitted their applications well before the 7th of july....the announcement you are talking about is when the cbp started offering refunds to those who had applied & didn't know they had to go back to india for their police verification....this was over a week after they had already started taking applications....
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:09 am

You are incorrect with your dates. I applied on July 1st when I was visiting India.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
To clarify from the USA CBP level enough people have gotten approved. It seems no one has gotten approved from the MEA here in India & therefore approval showing pending in CBP website. Once MEA gets its act together there will be a suddEn flow.
no indian citizen can be approved for global entry unless approval comes from the mea first....it seems as if the mea sends the information to both the finance & home ministries for approval before finally passing on the application to the cbp....somewhere down the line a decision was taken to only get approval from the finance ministry for non indian residents & a number of these applicants were approved by the mea & have already received global entry from the cbp....all this information has been mentioned multiple times in this thread....
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:01 am

Dont take my word for it just google or go to the website of USCBP July 3rd is when Mr Ambassador with great fanfare got his. The Treaty was signed & agreed on June 26th but was Launched on July 6th. This is on the CBP website.

However I don't think this forum is about a race to the starting line but more about where the hell is the finish line. Thank fully in August 2017 JFK T4 started working with e clearance & that has pretty much removed the need for me to have a GEP cause it take under 5 minutes to be thru it. Last month it took me 3 minutes from Start to Bags....
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dont take my word for it just google or go to the website of USCBP July 3rd is when Mr Ambassador with great fanfare got his. The Treaty was signed & agreed on June 26th but was Launched on July 6th. This is on the CBP website.

However I don't think this forum is about a race to the starting line but more about where the hell is the finish line. Thank fully in August 2017 JFK T4 started working with e clearance & that has pretty much removed the need for me to have a GEP cause it take under 5 minutes to be thru it. Last month it took me 3 minutes from Start to Bags....
no need to google....i just double checked my emails & my timelines are absolutely correct....they started taking applications on the 28th of june & my application was submitted the next day & the interview at the rpo took place on the 3rd of july....mr ambassador might have got his membership approved on the 3rd of july but it doesn't change the fact that the application process started 5 days prior to that....

if you check google then you will find that they even refunded the fee to those applicants who applied between 28th june - 6th july since they didn't know that india would introduce this nonsensical police verification for those living outside india....

you are right about e clearance though....my last few trips to jfk have been a breeze....less than 5 minutes to cross immigration....
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest, JetBlue TrueBlue, Avianca LifeMiles, KLM FlyingBlue
I recall reading a couple of folks on H1B who applied/got the police verification done in July 2017 and have been approved but there hasn't been any news since, even from the H1B folks. I'm on H1B as well so unfortunately am ineligible to use the kiosks at JFK T4 like the B1/B2 and other folks. Hence, the GEP would be a Godsend. JFK is still manageable even with the regular immigration protocol but I've had a couple of absolute nightmares at Newark in the past year.

Any more H1B folks on here who have been approved since applying in July/August?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:50 pm

This is from the CBP site. As you can see above 6 July. Treaty was signed & ratified end June. Announcement was made 30th June. I was trying every single day thereon to upload docs. Post uploading & the 4 day wait for it to go live on the Indian system the earliest appointment I got was at the Herald House Kendra.....

Either way some might have lucked out earlier days & gotten it there but in the end we all sitting in the same boat today wondering where is the finish line
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is from the CBP site. As you can see above 6 July. Treaty was signed & ratified end June. Announcement was made 30th June. I was trying every single day thereon to upload docs. Post uploading & the 4 day wait for it to go live on the Indian system the earliest appointment I got was at the Herald House Kendra.....

Either way some might have lucked out earlier days & gotten it there but in the end we all sitting in the same boat today wondering where is the finish line
it was last published on 6th july....it was earlier published a week prior to that....if there is an update made to the text above then the date will change again....obviously that doesn't mean that the date of launch will change to that date....the reason it was last published on the 6th is because that is when the cbp realised india had put in a stupid requirement to have all indians living abroad return to india for their police verification....the following text was added on the 6th of july to the page you have referenced:

• After completion of step ‘1’ applicants need to submit the requisite information, along with the applicable fee of 500, in the Passport Seva Portal, www.passportindia.gov.in for their background check in India. In addition to this, all Indian applicants must schedule an in-person interview at the respective Passport Seva Kendra/Passport Seva Laghu Kendra (PSK/PSLK) office as per their residential jurisdiction in India (as per the address furnished online). During the interview, Indian citizens will have their fingerprints and photo captured and complete other formalities. A visit to the PSK/PSLK is based on prior appointment only.
  • If the applicant is not presently living in India, it is recommended that they apply for Global Entry prior to their next trip to India so that the appointment at the PSK/PSLK office can be completed during their visit.
no one lucked out before that date....they opened applications for everyone on the 28th of june....there are multiple reports of people applying well before the 6th of july in this thread & the following thread:

Global Entry for Citizens of India

read the following post from the above mentioned thread that clearly outlines the fact that refunds were even offered to those who applied before 6th july:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28541897-post19.html

we are all sitting in the same boat because of the incompetence of the indian government to handle this properly....but it doesn't change the initial application date in any way....
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TTP CBP,
Did anyone who applied in September / October time line last year (2017) had a conditional approval in their TTP or CBP page ?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser

no indian citizen can be approved for global entry unless approval comes from the mea first....it seems as if the mea sends the information to both the finance & home ministries for approval before finally passing on the application to the cbp....somewhere down the line a decision was taken to only get approval from the finance ministry for non indian residents & a number of these applicants were approved by the mea & have already received global entry from the cbp....all this information has been mentioned multiple times in this thread....
Still waiting for approval since August 23, 2017 & I'm on H1-B. The grievance redressal is also pathetic. There is no way to contact HMO or MoF to get an update on the application and MEA keeps saying it's pending with those 2 departments. It seems like this is least priority for those 2 departments.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rohitp

Still waiting for approval since August 23, 2017 & I'm on H1-B. The grievance redressal is also pathetic. There is no way to contact HMO or MoF to get an update on the application and MEA keeps saying it's pending with those 2 departments. It seems like this is least priority for those 2 departments.
unfortunately it is....they haven't got their act together & it doesn't seem like they will for a while so all we can do is wait....
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:03 pm

Nope - applied in July and completed the police verification in the second week of Sept' 2017 - no updates. The grievance cell is pathetic!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: Global Entry, TTP CBP,
I did get a reply from grievance center after two months, when the due date to resolve say three weeks. Yes it is pathetic and corrupt.
So they replied back saying my file is handed over to MEA and MOH for further processing and approval. Not sure if this is going to take months, years or decades.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by fishbowl27
Nope - applied in July and completed the police verification in the second week of Sept' 2017 - no updates. The grievance cell is pathetic!
Our US-level expectations meet Indian government-level reality

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.