Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet and the Star Alliance. Will they / Won't they?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
Very disappointed

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I feel its even more unlikely now. Why would EY allow this when they are not a part of any alliance.
Was banking on 9W joining *A anytime soon.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OnePassenger
Was banking on 9W joining *A anytime soon.
I am sure most of us would love that but the truth is that 9W is having better success from not being in a Alliance.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
I feel its even more unlikely now. Why would EY allow this when they are not a part of any alliance.
EY also has stake in Air Berlin and they have let Air Berlin stay with OW... i think they are taking pragmatic approach by letting each of their investments dictate whats best for them as long as its not competitive for EY..
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by galaticos
EY also has stake in Air Berlin and they have let Air Berlin stay with OW... i think they are taking pragmatic approach by letting each of their investments dictate whats best for them as long as its not competitive for EY..
True. Still does not change the fact that Jet don't see any benefits in a Alliance. Look at their airline partners right now. Why would they need a alliance when they all ready have the best of the three alliances giving them business.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ajit Singh raised the issue of OS & LX being 100% owned by LH again...

So that must mean they talking about *A stuff at the DGCA.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Talking about Star Alliance has never really ended at DGCA.

I am sure most of us would love that but the truth is that 9W is having better success from not being in a Alliance.
I am not sure how much better success they had from not being in one of the big 3 global airline alliances. 9W had gotten pretty desperate for outside infusions of equity and liquidity resources despite being involved in some ways with a bunch of the big players across all the three major global airline alliances.

As one executive elsewhere said: "not a complete slut, so compensated so".
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Talking about Star Alliance has never really ended at DGCA.

I am not sure how much better success they had from not being in one of the big 3 global airline alliances. 9W had gotten pretty desperate for outside infusions of equity and liquidity resources despite being involved in some ways with a bunch of the big players across all the three major global airline alliances.

As one executive elsewhere said: "not a complete slut, so compensated so".
What is killing any business in India is the high Interest costs. 14% is the average lending rate. Jet must pay Cr's every month in this only. Yes they are desperate for outside investment and looks like they have found it but don't you think if it will get less business if it moves over to one alliance rather then servicing most of the airlines that fly into India.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:42 am
Suspended

What is killing any business in India is the high Interest costs. 14% is the average lending rate. Jet must pay Cr's every month in this only. Yes they are desperate for outside investment and looks like they have found it but don't you think if it will get less business if it moves over to one alliance rather then servicing most of the airlines that fly into India.
I'm not sure that Jet's servicing other airlines flying into or out of India is a great strategy for being in business and staying in business, especially when debt-servicing costs are so high. It probably comes down to whether most of that servicing of other airlines is providing it with sufficiently higher margin business than it would get via alliance membership.

From what little I see, most of the ticketed PNRs that include 9W flights within India but non-9W flights internationally seem to have relatively cheap booking codes on 9W flights and not be any more expensive than if the 9W flights were booked separately. And when the 9W flights are on a single ticketed PNR with partner airlines, 9W is losing out on some baggage fee revenue. This isn't to say that 9W hasn't chosen the margin-maximizing strategy, just that I don't see how it has.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm not sure that Jet's servicing other airlines flying into or out of India is a great strategy for being in business and staying in business, especially when debt-servicing costs are so high. It probably comes down to whether most of that servicing of other airlines is providing it with sufficiently higher margin business than it would get via alliance membership.

From what little I see, most of the ticketed PNRs that include 9W flights within India but non-9W flights internationally seem to have relatively cheap booking codes on 9W flights and not be any more expensive than if the 9W flights were booked separately. And when the 9W flights are on a single ticketed PNR with partner airlines, 9W is losing out on some baggage fee revenue. This isn't to say that 9W hasn't chosen the margin-maximizing strategy, just that I don't see how it has.
You feel a alliance would work better for 9W?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:32 am
Suspended

You feel a alliance would work better for 9W?
I am not sure. Conceivably, it may; however, that doesn't mean it necessarily will. I have a feeling -- nothing more than that -- that 9W would likely sort of mess up anyway.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:48 pm

Never....as long as EY is in control.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
For Jet, they have partners with almost every major airline. But do they get any benefit ? Why would a MP or AA or EK member want to go an a Jet operated flight unless it is within India or may be from Middle east. You get no elite qualifying miles and often the actual miles are 50% on most fares. So only very few book on Jet.

It is best for Jet to join an alliance. There may not be immediate benefits, but long term it could turn out to be good, especially now that Vistara is starting up, they need a good marketing strategy to keep flyers from defecting. Star is now out of question, perhaps Oneworld or Sky Team. Between the two Sky Team is virtually non existent in India, OW has a decent presence. Joining Sky Team, they can leverage their presence better than joining OW.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus

If news of jet pilots not being paid is true, I think they would be more worried about getting their house in order rather than courting an alliance. Not everyone can afford the luxury of AI where operations can be a mess however they have the comfort of tax payers to focus on joining an alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.