Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India and the Star Alliance (Part II)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India and the Star Alliance (Part II)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: UA
News about Shenzhen Airlines joining Star and a very interesting part about Air India... Air India will only allowed to join if the Indian Government let a second airline (Jet?) join the alliance. Star has stated that it will be both airlines or none...

http://www.centreforaviation.com/new...rn-china/page1

Star aims to have two members from India

While at the Shenzhen ceremony, Mr Albrecht said Star believes it needs two Indian members to adequately cover that market and he has informed the Indian government Star will only let Air India join if the government allows the alliance to add a second Indian member. “It will be two (members) or nothing,” Mr Albrecht said.

Air India was accepted over three years ago as a new member of Star but has repeatedly delayed formally joining as it has struggled to meet the alliance’s membership requirements. Star earlier this year said Air India had been provided a final deadline of 31-Jul-2011 to meet the membership requirements. An audit is now being conducted to see if Air India is finally in compliance with all the requirements. If Air India is in compliance and if the Indian government does not insist that Air India can be the only Star member, a formal joining date will be announced.

However, Mr Albrecht said Star will not let Air India proceed with joining if the Indian government insists Air India can be the only Star member. He says all airlines in India need ministry approval to join a global alliance and Star needs to know if the government would be willing to provide approval to a potential second Indian member. Star wants to recruit a second member after Air India joins because the Indian market is too big and important to have just one Indian member. “We’re meeting with the ministry in two weeks to discuss what the next step will be,” Mr Albrecht said.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bralo20
News about Shenzhen Airlines joining Star and a very interesting part about Air India... Air India will only allowed to join if the Indian Government let a second airline (Jet?) join the alliance. Star has stated that it will be both airlines or none...

This is great news ^
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by lallyr
This is great news ^
Unless the Indian Government decides to play hardball and says, fine, *A won't have any Indian members.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
Unless the Indian Government decides to play hardball and says, fine, *A won't have any Indian members.
that is extremely unlikely....
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just out of interest why are they against a second airline joining?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:13 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by lallyr
Just out of interest why are they against a second airline joining?
I think that the GoI believe that *A membership will secure AI's future, but if *A fliers have the option of a second Indian carrier AI might not get the same level of support. ( but this is just a guess on my part, it could be a completely different reason)
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that the GoI believe that *A membership will secure AI's future, but if *A fliers have the option of a second Indian carrier AI might not get the same level of support. ( but this is just a guess on my part, it could be a completely different reason)
I don't understand them, on one side they are selling their best and most profitable time slots to make money on the side and on the other end they want to ensure they make a profit.

AI will have to get privatized IMHO to turn itself around to profitability. I was reading that they have some 600 employees per plane compared to the Industry average of 150.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
I dont see why they wouldnt, afterall you cant really insist just one airline can join. Look for example at the US where until UA and Co merged there were three US based airlines in *A. At the end of the day if Jet and AI were in it would only be of greater benefit to us.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO

Or, more likely, GoI tells LH and a host of other * members to drastically cut both their frequencies and their destinations in the country, to allow the new entrant (we all agree on which would be the next) in the alliance.
We are in for a renewed round of armored negotiations between German and Indian governments, mr. Albrecht is just the lonely soldier with a tin rifle sent by the masters in Cologne to open the way
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: Iberia plus plata, TAP miles&go
Which is more like imo, just for the simple fact that it is not very smart to publicly pressure the GoI.It might also be a very easy escape for AI and GoI if AI doesnt gets it act toghter by the july 31th deadline, they can just say that they wont bend for the pressure from *alliance.Not a very smart move by *alliance if you ask me, they may end up with no member from India at all plus LH & co can forget about extra frequecies plus de A380 slot.I mean just look at the whole EK and Canadian goverment thing, not smart at all from Mr Aalbrecht
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:16 pm

Yeah, I agree. LH needs Indian routes far more than any Indian carrier needs German routes.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rajsbasi
I dont see why they wouldnt, afterall you cant really insist just one airline can join. Look for example at the US where until UA and Co merged there were three US based airlines in *A. At the end of the day if Jet and AI were in it would only be of greater benefit to us.
Why can't you insist? Is it illegal? Is it against any international convention? Does the U.S. market makes rules for GoI? Unlike the Indian aviation market, U.S. aviation market is already divvied up among different alliances, other than of course, independent ones.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bralo20

An interesting twist.
Is * prepared to have none?
Originally Posted by CXBA
Or, more likely, GoI tells LH and a host of other * members to drastically cut both their frequencies and their destinations in the country, to allow the new entrant (we all agree on which would be the next) in the alliance.
That's assuming GoI gives in to arm twisting by Albrecht. Does GoI want Ai to join * Alliance so desperately as to give in? The other scenario is for AI to eat humble pie and go for another alliance, but, in retaliation not allow any Indian carrier to join * and force LH and other * carriers to reduce their frequencies to India. If it plays out that way, which alliance would AI prefer? OneWorld oor Skyteam?
I don't think UA, the other big member of the alliance is as interested in Indian market as LH is, definitely not in Germany-India market.
Originally Posted by CXBA
We are in for a renewed round of armored negotiations between German and Indian governments, mr. Albrecht is just the lonely soldier with a tin rifle sent by the masters in Cologne to open the way
Right. Horse trading will begin now. Mr Albrecht wants to extract concessions for LH and *Alliance by putting AI under the guillotine. Mr Albrecht is getting too big for his trousers. He risks getting nothing for LH and * Alliance.

He thinks he has AI by the balls, which might be true.
The good news, for those who hate AI, id that they might get their wish of AI not being allowed to join *alliance!
What if Mr Albrecht's hard ball bounces back and hits him on his face with none of the Indian airlines being allowed to join the alliance and reduced LH frequencies? Germany-India market important for Lufthansa, but it is not so for an Indian carrier.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jul 7, 2011 at 11:49 pm
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
why Govt highhandedness on Airline alliances

I had this question from the beginning the discussion about *A & AI. some one help me to understand the nexus...

What is GoI's role in determining the alliance of airlines?.

If I understand correctly, Airline alliances are commercial / operational venture and almost like airlines entering into Code-Sharing / Interlining agreements with other airlines. Every alliance and airlines should be allowed to pickup their partners based on their preferences and merits.

I acknowledge that GoI thinks that *A may help AI to survive and has control on the frequencies / Landing slots for LH or other airlines - which lead to the whole bargaining business.

but it fails to catch my amusement that we are advocating a free economy and other things when comes to US holding the H1 visas but back home we (GoI) are as protective as others.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:37 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by Whizkid
I had this question from the beginning the discussion about *A & AI. some one help me to understand the nexus...

What is GoI's role in determining the alliance of airlines?.

If I understand correctly, Airline alliances are commercial / operational venture and almost like airlines entering into Code-Sharing / Interlining agreements with other airlines. Every alliance and airlines should be allowed to pickup their partners based on their preferences and merits.

I acknowledge that GoI thinks that *A may help AI to survive and has control on the frequencies / Landing slots for LH or other airlines - which lead to the whole bargaining business.

but it fails to catch my amusement that we are advocating a free economy and other things when comes to US holding the H1 visas but back home we (GoI) are as protective as others.
accession to * by Air India and Air China has been instigated by LH, through the good offices and negotiations of German government. This is a very convenient way for them to bypass obstacles and regulations, and come out always with clean hands. In this case however I think they underestimated the high interests GoI has in Air India, therefore I agree with Yaatri that now they're taking a high-risk bet: one between Star Alliance and the Indian Government is gonna backtrack and lose face big time. If Star ends as the loser the consequences of Albrechts' chicanery could be serious for LH, because they are the most exposed to the indian market of all alliance carriers.
Until end of the month communication lines between Delhi, Berlin and Cologne will become seriously overheated , not because the hot weather...I would not be surprised if EK will end out finally as the winner in this saga.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.