Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India and the Star Alliance (Part II)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India and the Star Alliance (Part II)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hyho61
I want to fly AI both for revenue and for reward, but there is the issue of reliability. The unions are continuouly threatening to strike at any time for a variety of reasons. With the cash flow problems, AI is having difficulty fueling the planes and paying salaries. Nobody wants to book a trip, fly one on direction only to find that the return trip is cancelled due to strike or other reasons.

However the inflight product of AI is still better than many US based carriers and I hope that AI joins star on time and on schedule.
Once AI joins *A, they'll be forced to follow *A procedure, which would mean that you'd get rebooked on another carrier immediately.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Once AI joins *A, they'll be forced to follow *A procedure, which would mean that you'd get rebooked on another carrier immediately.
Sir.... that is *A procedure but not practice...TAP October 2010 BSB-LIS-GVA Missed connection at LIS for GVA Came prepared showed agent fastest connect was LIS-MUC-GVA Was in business class confirmed availability on expertflyer (flight wide open) Answer: NO! no way you WILL wait for the next TAP flight it only gets you in 2.5 hours later
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rathin100
Sir.... that is *A procedure but not practice...TAP October 2010 BSB-LIS-GVA Missed connection at LIS for GVA Came prepared showed agent fastest connect was LIS-MUC-GVA Was in business class confirmed availability on expertflyer (flight wide open) Answer: NO! no way you WILL wait for the next TAP flight it only gets you in 2.5 hours later
And then you ask to see the supervisor.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
the next TAP flight it only gets you in 2.5 hours later
In this case TAP would probably insist that you take their flight only. Why pay for a seat on another airline when the pax is only delayed by a few hours.

Oh and I really hope that AI steps out of the old age and gets their FA's to wear something more modern then a Sari with their stomachs sticking out as most of them are way past their sell by dates.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:27 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI

I think the alliance procedures are (not just for *A but any other also) to put you on the same routing but carrier neutral. For instance, last year at Madrid airport, I was travelling LAN on Madrid-Frankfurt and BA on Frankfurt - London since the direct Madrid - London ticket costed much higher for some strange reason. The incoming LAN flight from Chile got delayed by 3 hrs. We asked for being put on the LAN Madrid-London flight which was 20-25 mins later since that was the end destination but were told we were being given seats on Iberia MAdrid-Frankfurt since they could not change routings.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A2A
I think the alliance procedures are (not just for *A but any other also) to put you on the same routing but carrier neutral. For instance, last year at Madrid airport, I was travelling LAN on Madrid-Frankfurt and BA on Frankfurt - London since the direct Madrid - London ticket costed much higher for some strange reason. The incoming LAN flight from Chile got delayed by 3 hrs. We asked for being put on the LAN Madrid-London flight which was 20-25 mins later since that was the end destination but were told we were being given seats on Iberia MAdrid-Frankfurt since they could not change routings.
All depends on the airline I guess as I have had TK put me on BA as their flight got cancelled and the next one was not until the morning. Air France made me wait 24hrs even though I complained to their highest available manager.

But I think the basic rule of the thumb is that you should get there within 6-10hrs of your original flight, if not then it warrants a transfer of airlines.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by lallyr
In this case TAP would probably insist that you take their flight only. Why pay for a seat on another airline when the pax is only delayed by a few hours.

Oh and I really hope that AI steps out of the old age and gets their FA's to wear something more modern then a Sari with their stomachs sticking out as most of them are way past their sell by dates.
As they did... but my point is that they did not put me on the fastest *A routing which, as the OP correctly points out, issupposed to be part of  procedure.

AI personnel are allowed to were salwar kammez and salwar chridaaar and f afew of the younger ones do and look good in it...
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I think you will find that most *A carriers would do the same thing if they had a flight that departed 2.5hours later (especially when the the option is paying for 2 flights on another carrier that will probably only get you to your destination 1hr earlier)!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond

LOL that is hilarious!!!!

This is also an alternative look for the crew;

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/u...-1226080427493

Last edited by djjaguar64; Jun 23, 2011 at 9:02 am
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:27 am
Suspended

People expressing their opinions on AI, and the reasons why they don't fly AI, which leads to conjectures and opinions about people. I don't think that was the intent of our moderator when he started this thread. How lousy AI is can be discussed in other threads, tgis thread isn't the place for that.
Almost all airlines try not to book you on another, especially if the delay is only a couple of hours or so. "we are not going to send you in first class" is a response I was given to a suggestion that I be booked on another airline as her suggestion to rebook me the following day on their metal would delay me by 24 hours. It was silly when right then, they couldn't even get me on economy class to get to my destination at a reasonable time.
Despite procedure, a lot depends on the attitude of the person you are dealing with. Some will do what they can to help you, and some will use every excuse to not do what they should, or could do. It's not unique to one airline or alliance.
Lots of idiots with a sense of entitlement have a lot less tolerance for AI messing up than they do for other airlines messing up. That, in my opinion, is the primary cause of adversarial relationship, that some people feel exists between the AI and themselves, and try to project it on everyone else. If one approaches an agent with an adversarial attitude,one is likely to make it worse for oneself.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by pogonation
I think you will find that most *A carriers would do the same thing if they had a flight that departed 2.5hours later (especially when the the option is paying for 2 flights on another carrier that will probably only get you to your destination 1hr earlier)!
I dont disagree, just saying that stated procedure (and its in my Giold Card ahndbook, maybe its only for *G) is not followed in *A anyway so nothing to motivate AI on that front... response to statement from OP..

""Once AI joins *A, they'll be forced to follow *A procedure, which would mean that you'd get rebooked on another carrier immediately.""

Statement si quite correct iw that is *A procedure as stated. My limited point is that there is already no compliance.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:23 pm
Suspended

I dont disagree, just saying that stated procedure (and its in my Giold Card ahndbook, maybe its only for *G) is not followed in *A anyway so nothing to motivate AI on that front... response to statement from OP..

""Once AI joins *A, they'll be forced to follow *A procedure, which would mean that you'd get rebooked on another carrier immediately.""

Statement si quite correct iw that is *A procedure as stated. My limited point is that there is already no compliance.
So, if AI's compliance with *A "official" procedures is at generally at par with the other members, it would be no worse than the other members?
I am still trying to understand the level of knee jerking at the thought of AI joining an alliance.

July is less than a week away. It remains to be seen if Air India will manage to meet the requirements in good time, or barely squeak in on the last day of July!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yaatri
July is less than a week away. It remains to be seen if Air India will manage to meet the requirements in good time, or barely squeak in on the last day of July!
Is that an official cut off date for them?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Is that an official cut off date for them?
it seems to be the official cut off date for now....
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
it seems to be the official cut off date for now....
^ Either get in or let someone else in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.