Community
Wiki Posts
Search

India-based Airlines Chai Stall

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
Do you have any documentation to back it up ?
I am guessing you are looking for evidence on how Indian regulators help foreign carriers and restrict Indian carriers.

This is what I gathered so far.

1) 5/20 Rule - Doesn't allow Indian carriers operate international routes
2) Unlimited bilateral quotas - Allows foreign carriers dump capacity
3) ATF taxes - Some duties on ATF are only on Indian carriers
4) Duty on parts - Foreign carriers in India can import same part duty free
5) Foreign FAs not allowed - Indian carriers cannot hire foreign FAs. Probably the stupidest rule because expat Pilots and foreign born CEOs are allowed.

Can you quote one country where aviation regulators help foreign carriers more than their own. If you see current US Open Skies issue, almost every politician and government agency sides with US carriers.

AI caught my attention recently because CNN is covering AI. Do Google/YouTube search and this AI FA grounding story is all over the world. Not sure if CNN relies on Daily Mail.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Training an FA takes 6 weeks, a pilot takes really longer...?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by avcritic
I am guessing you are looking for evidence on how Indian regulators help foreign carriers and restrict Indian carriers.

This is what I gathered so far.

1) 5/20 Rule - Doesn't allow Indian carriers operate international routes
2) Unlimited bilateral quotas - Allows foreign carriers dump capacity
3) ATF taxes - Some duties on ATF are only on Indian carriers
4) Duty on parts - Foreign carriers in India can import same part duty free
5) Foreign FAs not allowed - Indian carriers cannot hire foreign FAs. Probably the stupidest rule because expat Pilots and foreign born CEOs are allowed.

Can you quote one country where aviation regulators help foreign carriers more than their own. If you see current US Open Skies issue, almost every politician and government agency sides with US carriers.

AI caught my attention recently because CNN is covering AI. Do Google/YouTube search and this AI FA grounding story is all over the world. Not sure if CNN relies on Daily Mail.
I questioned your earlier remaks that were made in reference to the " reassignment" of FAs who did not meet the BMI criteria. What you listed may not affect security of pax !

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Training an FA takes 6 weeks, a pilot takes really longer...?
It does, also more hours of operations. But then again how many cases of pilot's certifications without fulfilling the theory and practicals ?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
I questioned your earlier remaks that were made in reference to the " reassignment" of FAs who did not meet the BMI criteria.
Aha, I misread your comments. Is Indian CAA checking BMI of foreign FAs landed on their soil??? We all know answer to that question. Nothing unique to Indian CAA, it is the ICAO.

Emphasis of my comment was on they are not fired, assuming these are senior FAs who get priority in bidding system, reassigning is the best option. Otherwise they will bid all good destinations killing brand image and cabin experience.

Air India operates to quite a few foreign countries, wouldn't it help to have couple of FAs from that country in the (premium) cabin. AI could hire Indian citizens of foreign origin, or the most preferred from Eastern Europe. They are cheaper to hire on a 3 year contract than these on employment for life program who cannot be fired.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:28 pm

Aha, I misread your comments. Is Indian CAA checking BMI of foreign FAs landed on their soil??? We all know answer to that question. Nothing unique to Indian CAA, it is the ICAO.

Emphasis of my comment was on they are not fired, assuming these are senior FAs who get priority in bidding system, reassigning is the best option. Otherwise they will bid all good destinations killing brand image and cabin experience.

Air India operates to quite a few foreign countries, wouldn't it help to have couple of FAs from that country in the (premium) cabin. AI could hire Indian citizens of foreign origin, or the most preferred from Eastern Europe. They are cheaper to hire on a 3 year contract than these on employment for life program who cannot be fired.
OK Reassigned. Fired is what I read on a news report.
almost all airlines have multilingual crew members. I do not know if there are any rules that dictate requirement of a CC who can speak the language of the destination countries.
I can swear that I have often heard (almost always) multilingual announcements.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:15 am

Keeping AI's long standing tradition of surplus wide bodies, AI decided not to convert 3x77W slots to 737MAX slots.

Are they crazy, they should cancel all remaining wide body orders and place large narrow body order.

Penalty will be cheaper than financing AOGs.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:45 pm

Keeping AI's long standing tradition of surplus wide bodies, AI decided not to convert 3x77W slots to 737MAX slots.

Are they crazy, they should cancel all remaining wide body orders and place large narrow body order.

Penalty will be cheaper than financing AOGs.
Who will return some of the "other" monies ?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Which routes does Air India fly first class on?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
JFK, EWR, ORD, SFO, LHR and some middle eastern routes like RUH, JED, etc.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Is it really worth flying AI on their dreamliner from Delhi to Chandigarh? It's a mega short flight no?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: Blasé..
Originally Posted by wolf72
Is it really worth flying AI on their dreamliner from Delhi to Chandigarh? It's a mega short flight no?
Are you sure talking about IXC and not ATQ? As far as I know there is only 1 AI DEL-IXC flight and that too on miniscule A319 and no dreamliners on route!!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wolf72
Its around 1hr of seat time by the time you board and get off. Depends what you want from it?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
Has Jet Airways discontinued the online booking bonus of 500 Miles - I could not find a reference to it in the new website
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
CCU is suffering from 310-350m visibility fog, everyone is diverting...

http://www.aviationweather.gov/metar...ate=0&hours=36
Air Asia:
http://www.flightradar24.com/XAX197/84dc5f8
Thai:
http://www.flightradar24.com/TG313/84da7cb
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:04 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Isn't this decades old news ?? Everyone has been diverting from CCU since forever

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.