Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong Tsim Sha Tsui - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: forumpersona999
This is a Cat 4 Hotel located in the K11 mall

Considered by many, but certainly not everyone, to be a better location Hyatt then the GH HK.

Hotel email: [email protected].

DSU will get you a Regency Suite and access to the Lounge

All Suite occupant will include the following benefits in the Regency Club Lounge on 23rd floor:

• Complimentary Continental Buffet Breakfast
• Complimentary Evening Cocktails
• All day complimentary tea, coffee and soft drink service

Picture of the Lounge:
(add here if you have it)

Picture of the Regency Suite:
(add here if you have it)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23375541-post319.html

tips:

Other Perks:

Blogger Reviews:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...tsim-sha-tsui/

Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong Tsim Sha Tsui - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
Had a fabulous one night stay this past week prior to our two nights at the GH. Booked a basic twin room, upgraded to a twin harbor view room on the 22nd floor. Landed a great rate, $180 prepaid. Fabulous staff and very nice breakfast in the lounge with a fabulous view. Love the location in Kowloon and a favorite property of mine to stay at on that side.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:00 am

Staying at the property. They proactively contacted and a nice Harbour Club room on the 23rd floor was been assigned. Surprised to see the Club Lounge has not been busy...
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Suite at HR or Standard Room at GH HK? (Diamond)

I also posted this in the GH HK thread.

I'm staying in Hong Kong for 3 nights in December. First time there; it's ending a 3-week South Pacific vacation before flying home to SF. I'm a Diamond member.

I have both the HR TST (DSU upgraded room) and GH (regular room) reserved because I can't decide between the two. Which do I choose?

The Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui allowed me to use a DSU, putting me in a Regency Suite King on a points and cash rate.

The GH claims no DSU's are available for my dates, so I have a Grand Deluxe King reserved for a points and cash rate.

I think what matters most to me is a nicer (more updated, more impressive) room and overall facilities, better service, and better view from the room. Otherwise, I'm just relaxing and touring around HK with no significant plan.

I am traveling with one friend who has been to HK, but he sees benefits to both locations and has never stayed at any Hyatt. I'd really like to show him (and personally experience) the value of my Diamond benefits...especially in an overseas Hyatt since I only travel domestically.

I've already gotten good advice in the GH KG thread, but I figured I'd cast my net here too just in case. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I'm in an odd situation - back in January I booked one week at the HR TST for 1 week and used a DSU. This was one on the phone. I never seemed to get an email confirmation, but it did show up in my online booking when I login to my Hyatt account.

However, upon closer inspection, it seems to be applying a rate of $2,500 per night. I'm quite certain when I booked that the rate I agreed to was much lower. Running the searches now I can see that $1,600 is available for my dates.

Should I email HR TST and ask for a rate adjustment, or simply cancel and rebook? (the DSU suite still shows available for my dates). Only downside with that is I made the booking with a pre-Feb 2016 DSU, so I would effectively sacrifice that DSU and then use one of my remaining 2016-2017 DSUs (I have 3 left).
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Isochronous
However, upon closer inspection, it seems to be applying a rate of $2,500 per night. I'm quite certain when I booked that the rate I agreed to was much lower. Running the searches now I can see that $1,600 is available for my dates.
Do you have an e-mail confirm of your original rate? If so, I'd just show them that on check-in.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Do you have an e-mail confirm of your original rate? If so, I'd just show them that on check-in.
Sadly not - I don't seem to have an email at all for the booking for some reason.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:59 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by baser1000
I think what matters most to me is a nicer (more updated, more impressive) room and overall facilities, better service, and better view from the room. Otherwise, I'm just relaxing and touring around HK with no significant plan.
I think HR TST is the winner, then. The DSU suites aren't that spectacular, but the hotel has an overall much more modern feel, and rooms are in better shape. Also, you'll have an impressive view (the best views are from Kowloon to HK Island) at HR TST, while at the GH you may very well find yourself in a no-view room. For tourism, the TST location is probably also preferable to the convention center location of the GH.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
The DSU suites aren't that spectacular,
True
but the hotel has an overall much more modern feel,
Agreed as far as the public areas are concerned, but the GH lobby is a much more impressive place nevertheless.
and rooms are in better shape.
Seriously? Is this a comparison to the GH rooms which were all renovated in the last year or two? You're probably the only person I know who would prefer the Regency Suite at HR vs. Grand Suite at GH - it's not even a comparison.
Also, you'll have an impressive view (the best views are from Kowloon to HK Island) at HR TST, while at the GH you may very well find yourself in a no-view room.
No meaningful view from the DSU suite at TST. Using the DSU you're never going to be left with a no-view room at the GH.
For tourism, the TST location is probably also preferable to the convention center location of the GH.
HR location is probably better if you're wanting more time in TST. For Central, GH is still preferable.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:47 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by stargold
You're probably the only person I know who would prefer the Regency Suite at HR vs. Grand Suite at GH
Originally Posted by baser1000
I have both the HR TST (DSU upgraded room) and GH (regular room) reserved because I can't decide between the two. Which do I choose?
I'd pick HR TST over the GH any day, especially because we're comparing DSU suite at HR TST to standard room at GH. In fact, I'd take a xx08 or xx23 corner room at HR TST over a standard room at GH. I'm sure I'm not the only one who routinely gets great treatment from HR TST, while having to beg for a harbor view at GH (and often get a no-view room).

Originally Posted by stargold
HR location is probably better if you're wanting more time in TST. For Central, GH is still preferable.
I see this posted a lot, and I always scratch my head. It takes 5 minutes on the MTR from TST to Central stations. The GH is in a much worse location when it comes to walking or public transportation. It's fine if you stay there for business and go everywhere by car. But for a tourist who wants to explore on foot and by public transportation, the location isn't spectacular.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think HR TST is the winner, then. The DSU suites aren't that spectacular, but the hotel has an overall much more modern feel, and rooms are in better shape. Also, you'll have an impressive view (the best views are from Kowloon to HK Island) at HR TST, while at the GH you may very well find yourself in a no-view room.
I don't agree with this at all.

I've generally stayed at the HR TST for location and much lower price (really don't like GH location). In literally all respects other than location HR is inferior to GH. All rooms at GH have been refurbished.

Note also that the DSU regency suites are usually low floor with no view, and even if you luck out and get a high floor, they're at the end of the building so the view is not nearly so good as the harbor view rooms.

I also think service has declined at HR. My last stay was not satisfactory. They assigned me a no-view room that abutted the elevator and service in the lounge was poor.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't agree with this at all.

I've generally stayed at the HR TST for location and much lower price (really don't like GH location). In literally all respects other than location HR is inferior to GH. All rooms at GH have been refurbished.

Note also that the DSU regency suites are usually low floor with no view, and even if you luck out and get a high floor, they're at the end of the building so the view is not nearly so good as the harbor view rooms.

I also think service has declined at HR. My last stay was not satisfactory. They assigned me a no-view room that abutted the elevator and service in the lounge was poor.
Of Course YMMV. I stayed here in August, used a DSU and was upgraded to an executive suite overlooking the Victoria Harbor. I did email the hotel before my arrival and told them it was my 10 year wedding anniversary. Service was excellent. As many has said, location is superb.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I'd pick HR TST over the GH any day, especially because we're comparing DSU suite at HR TST to standard room at GH. In fact, I'd take a xx08 or xx23 corner room at HR TST over a standard room at GH. I'm sure I'm not the only one who routinely gets great treatment from HR TST, while having to beg for a harbor view at GH (and often get a no-view room).

I see this posted a lot, and I always scratch my head. It takes 5 minutes on the MTR from TST to Central stations. The GH is in a much worse location when it comes to walking or public transportation. It's fine if you stay there for business and go everywhere by car. But for a tourist who wants to explore on foot and by public transportation, the location isn't spectacular.
I agree, especially about the bold. It's been quite a few years since I stayed at the GH. And I have never been in a suite in either property. But for a first time tourist in HK to me it's no contest - stay at the HR. GH is the a step above as a hotel, but TST is the far better location for a tourist.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by MW147
I agree, especially about the bold. It's been quite a few years since I stayed at the GH. And I have never been in a suite in either property. But for a first time tourist in HK to me it's no contest - stay at the HR. GH is the a step above as a hotel, but TST is the far better location for a tourist.
I agree with all the votes for HR. I have stayed here several times, and as recent as early July this year. The Regency Suite is pretty nice, the view at the lounge really cannot be beat. The breakfast in the lounge is adequate (but stay away from the smoke salmon as my husband got food poisoned from that). When you arrive just go straight to 23rd floor the lounge to check in. I have always emailed the hotel with all my requests prior to my stay and they have always been very quick replying and very accommodating.

As to location, I much prefer HR than Grand Hyatt. You really cannot go wrong with TST, so much to do and so many good food around at price cheaper than Central.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT/5.5MM, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Location - Location - Location.
Stayed at HR several times and TST location is great... Next to MTR ... Just be careful walking in the back streets as easy to lose way
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Another vote for HR TST. I've stayed there a LOT in the past few years and haven't stayed at the GH in years, primarily because of the location. The GH is nicer, better lounge, etc. but to me the massively higher price isn't justified and the far inferior location is the nail in the coffin for me.

All that said, I'd suggest that your expectations for the HR should be managed. The lounge is fine, and much better than it used to be , particularly with the breakfast improvments that have been made, but its not a grand hyatt lounge by any stretch (other than the view).

Also, I rarely get an upgrade here when not using a DSU. It has happened occasionally that I will get a suite, and I never ask for an upgrade, but given the shear number of stays I've had over a relatively short time period, my hit rate is fairly low. In comparison, my hit rate at the GH Shenzhen, to either a deluxe room or a suite is way over 50%.

All in all, I keep staying at the HR TST because of the location and the competitive price, but don't expect to have my socks blown off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.