Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:55 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
I'd say no, given how affordable PH PVG can be had for. try burning it in Paris or NYC.
or Sydney
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:24 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bhrubin

or Sydney

Actually, I would take back what I said above and put Sydney as #1...that was my all time favorite PH Stay....it's a PH with FS GV level service. Hopefully, it hasn't changed since my stay in 2014.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Looking to book a couple award nights here but only king beds available for my dates and I’m looking for 2 twin beds.

with that said I’ve got 3 questions;

1. any folks have experience calling WOH or hotel directly to see if they can make a room with two beds available?

2.) if not what are the odds that they will be able to change us to a room with 2 beds.

3.) if all else fails, is it still worth it to stay here with king bed and rollaway? Vs a 2 twin room at hyatt on bund.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Recently had a great 6-night stay on points confirming a TSU to a Bund View Suite.

Service throughout the hotel was very good. English was widely spoken and requests were addressed promptly and efficiently. Concierge was able to book us train tickets for a tour (think we were only charged a bit more than face value) and was very helpful calling restaurants to make reservations, provide recommendations, and ensure we promptly had a taxi to wherever we were going. As others have mentioned, breakfast service was a bit slow. This was especially true the last day as breakfast was moved the 87th floor to accommodate set up for New Years Eve. Globalists receive the buffet breakfast, which also includes made-to-order eggs and waffles/french toast/pancakes on the 91st floor.

Our room was huge and had a great view overlooking the Bund. View was only partially blocked by the Jin Mao tower (had xx03 suite). Room is a bit dated (not quite as dated at PH Tokyo). Couldn't find outlets near the bed, which was annoying. Furniture wasn't very comfortable (which I find tends to be common at Park Hyatts). Bed set-up is a bit weird because you don't have any view from bed or the bathroom. Still, I was happy with the room and view. Turn down service was a bit lacking - we received water and a made bed but slippers weren't placed near bed nor were blinds lowered (I guess for the view?).

I liked the Pudong location. 10 minute walk on raised walkway to the metro station (Line 2). Bit longer walker to another station with more lines. Lots of food options in the malls. IFC Mall is quite nice with luxury brands. Enjoyed Din Tai Fong (3 locations within walking distance) as well as Blue Frog (Western Food like a TGIFridays) nearby and spent more time across the river enjoying more local cuisine. Traffic is pretty bad at rush hour but taxis are cheap (no more than 50 RMB to nearly everywhere we wanted to go). Ultimately, we liked how clean the area was compared to the hustle and bustle of Nanjing.

I'd recommend at stay at the Park Hyatt Shanghai, especially as a Globalist using a TSU.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
Is there anything like an evening reception with food and drinks like at the PH Tkoyo ?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
Is there anything like an evening reception with food and drinks like at the PH Tkoyo ?
They didn't have anything when we were there in late December. They did give us a voucher for a drink and food item at the bar on the 91st (?) floor during our stay, which we used. Ended up with a large enough snack to make it a meal.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
I will be staying one night at the PH Shanghai Nov 6th/7th just to swim in their pool which is one of the highest in the world (celebrating my 41st Birthday). Booked thru Amex Fine Hotels. Anyone have experience booking thru the Fine Hotel portal and not receiving the comp Breakfast? The Amex rep wasn't too knowledgeable on the perks that should be given when booked under that portal.

Appreciate any advice but
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aspenedelen
I will be staying one night at the PH Shanghai Nov 6th/7th just to swim in their pool which is one of the highest in the world (celebrating my 41st Birthday). Booked thru Amex Fine Hotels. Anyone have experience booking thru the Fine Hotel portal and not receiving the comp Breakfast? The Amex rep wasn't too knowledgeable on the perks that should be given when booked under that portal.

Appreciate any advice but
Breakfast for 2 is guaranteed when booking through AMEX FHR.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Just stayed there again (~15th time). Very surprised to not be upgraded to a Deluxe room even though there were plenty available with different views?
On the positive side the breakfast is still far above PH Beijing one!
luvFclass likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:19 am

I booked a four-night stay at the Member Rate at Park Hyatt Shanghai for later this year, and then called WoH to apply a TSU to the reservation. The agent said that she could not see any Park Suite or Bund View Suite (these are the Standard Suites) available as all had been reserved already. I told her that I was looking at hyatt.com now and I could see availability of both suite types at the "Prepaid Rate", but not at any other rate. The lady, without even checking on her system, then said that the suite was probably not available for all nights of my stay. I then had to say to her that I could probably go ahead and book the suite to show her the availability, but I obviously did not want to do so on a Prepaid Rate.

She then reluctantly put me on hold to check further. After a ten-minute wait, she said that she had to call the hotel to release a suite for me. I asked her to send me an email of the revised booking, and she said it was not needed and that "all was good".

I then checked my booking online, and found that the field normally showing the "Cancellation Policy" had been replaced with a remark "Suite Upgrade Confirmed Per Duty Manager". I have never seen this before in all my years of using TSUs. Do you think this is good enough? Anyway, I think I will write an email to the hotel to get them to confirm back in writing. From personal experience, the Park Hyatt Shanghai has had sneaky and evasive measures to avoid confirming TSUs in the past, so that is why I do not like staying here unless it is absolutely necessary.

On a related issue, can a hotel just put suites into a "Prepaid Rate" inventory, and then it does not show up for TSU eligibility? Even the WoH agents could not see this "availability". Is this a way for the hotels to "play games" and avoid giving out TSUs?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Any recent reviews here? I've only stayed at the St. Regis in the past.

Went to the PH for a coffee with my gf recently and they treated me like I was a homeless person (I was dresses business casual).
Got the impression that this was racism as they told us all tables by the windows in the upstairs restaurant were "reserved" (lots of empty seating, other tables were occupied by Chinese people). We were only allowed to sit at the bar, but we were never served.
We finally went down to the lobby bar, but also there we weren't allowed to sit, but instead were sent to a separate room with other westerners (including some people in shorts!). I really liked the hotel, but definitely won't be staying there given how they treated us.

A friend told me that's normal treatment at the hotel if you don't look "rich Chinese."
I'm Globalist now and I love the architecture of the PH... But not sure if it would be a good idea to stay there?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Any recent reviews here? I've only stayed at the St. Regis in the past.

Went to the PH for a coffee with my gf recently and they treated me like I was a homeless person (I was dresses business casual).
Got the impression that this was racism as they told us all tables by the windows in the upstairs restaurant were "reserved" (lots of empty seating, other tables were occupied by Chinese people). We were only allowed to sit at the bar, but we were never served.
We finally went down to the lobby bar, but also there we weren't allowed to sit, but instead were sent to a separate room with other westerners (including some people in shorts!). I really liked the hotel, but definitely won't be staying there given how they treated us.

A friend told me that's normal treatment at the hotel if you don't look "rich Chinese."
I'm Globalist now and I love the architecture of the PH... But not sure if it would be a good idea to stay there?
Pretty bad treatment. I have no idea of it's racism or being snooty but it shouldn't happen. PH Seoul can be like that too because it's in Gangnam.

I would take my Globalist stays else where. If they treat you that way as a non-staying guest then it shows who they truly are.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:46 pm

Was looking at a few dates later this year and saw rates have noticeably increased from 2020. That's to be expected as we approach the post-COVID era, of course.

But curiouser and curiouser: No standard suites available for any of the dates I've checked, and I've now looked at weekends across several months, including in January (purely speculative, since new cases in Hebei have put the kibosh on travel for a bit). It goes straight from Bund View Deluxe rooms to the Diplomat Suite. Haven't called the hotel yet, since I don't have a specific date to ask about, but I have to wonder what gives.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:08 pm

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster
No standard suites available for any of the dates I've checked
This property often "manages" their inventory in this way... I've had good experiences with contacting them directly and asking for the room I like, even if shown as unavailable. If you're a return guest, you can try doing this (your chances may be lower if you're planning on using points or a TSU).
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Hydro88
This property often "manages" their inventory in this way... I've had good experiences with contacting them directly and asking for the room I like, even if shown as unavailable. If you're a return guest, you can try doing this (your chances may be lower if you're planning on using points or a TSU).
With rates climbing past $400/night I was planning on using points, but this is all academic since I won't have a specific time nailed down for several months. I am a return guest, however, so might try that when things get more definitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.