Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gum
Dear moondog,

just a disagree to the comment to the inconvenient location of the hotel.

http://shanghai.park.hyatt.com/en/ho...pMapDirections

It is amidst the Pudong district and not far away from public transport.
陆家嘴 is a horrible location if you don't have business in the area or are fond of shopping malls. "Public transport?"... give me a break! Sure, you can jump on the subway, and go to 静安, but doing so entails a sardine can routine, plus two walks. Simply put, crossing the river --as narrow as it might be-- is a BIG deal.

That having been said, I will not dispute the fact that PH is an amazing hotel.

@Thunderroad: I like your split stay concept, but think you can improve upon Hyatt on the Bund (which isn't actually on the Bund). Look into the Okura Garden, Puli, and Portman. If you love Hyatts, the Andaz is also worthy of consideration, but is usually over priced.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I stayed at the PH Shanghai, and while it is a beautiful hotel, I would prefer to stay on the other side of the river (Bund) for tourist activities.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I stayed at the PH Shanghai, and while it is a beautiful hotel, I would prefer to stay on the other side of the river (Bund) for tourist activities.
We're on the same frequency, but I recommend staying further west than the bund.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks again for the useful replies, folks, even if there's some disagreement here. (What would FT be without differences of opinion? ). And thanks, especially, moondog, for your local expertise. Much appreciated.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:43 am
Community Director Emerita

Thunderroad, we stayed at the Park Hyatt and loved it. Someone close to us stayed at the Bund location two months ago. He felt it was out of the way. He just finished a stay at the Andaz today and loved that location. I suggested the Andaz to him, not because I know the hotel, but because we end up going there several times on any Shanghai visit because of the restaurants (Crystal Jade, Din Tai Fung), massage (Green Massage), and a bit of sightseeing (Shikuman Open House Museum). I know from your posts that you are an active walker. The wonderful Shanghai Museum at Tomorrow Square is a 20 minute walk according to googlemaps.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks, SD1K! I always appreciate your input and recommendations. And you're right...we love to walk.

Happy holidays!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:08 pm

Any tips for a family of 4 traveling to Shanghai. Looking to stay at Hyatt. (Diamond Member).

2 adults and 2 kids (age 8 and 2).
If I put 4 guests in one room, only Park Hyatt is displayed at $2,500 USD per night. Not really keen on getting 2 rooms but will do if that is the only option.

We will be out exploring the city and won't be using the hotel extensively besides the breakfast and maybe lounge access.

Any experience with travelling 4 people in one room? Are Shanghai/Beijing Hyatt hotels strict?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gariben
Any tips for a family of 4 traveling to Shanghai. Looking to stay at Hyatt. (Diamond Member).

If I put 4 guests in one room, only Park Hyatt is displayed at $2,500 USD per night. Not really keen on getting 2 rooms but will do if that is the only option.

We will be out exploring the city and won't be using the hotel extensively besides the breakfast and maybe lounge access.

Any experience with travelling 4 people in one room? Are Shanghai/Beijing Hyatt hotels strict?

My kids are 7 & 8. I have the same question/sentiment for Shanghai and will share if/when I get the question.

I will answer your question for Beijing. I used a DSU and there was no problem with 2+2 in a suite.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gariben

If Suite you can have a rollaway bed and use the daybed/couch at one on the window. Did it when I travelled with my two kids. There is a separate fee for the rollaway.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
So I have a DSU to burn, and all I see in the foreseeable future is the Bund view suite. I email the property to see if they could honor the upgrade on my reservation for a one night stay, which they politely say no. When does a property create a new category to limit upgrades b/c of the view? Just curios as I see don't even see availability for the Park Deluxe suite.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rookie10
So I have a DSU to burn, and all I see in the foreseeable future is the Bund view suite. I email the property to see if they could honor the upgrade on my reservation for a one night stay, which they politely say no. When does a property create a new category to limit upgrades b/c of the view? Just curios as I see don't even see availability for the Park Deluxe suite.
This hotel is likely gaming the system. PH Shanghai used to have six suites consist of both city (2) and bund (4) view for DSU. Now they moved the bund view suites to a higher category, therefore only 2 "city view" suites are available for DSU I would recommend to stay at a different Hyatt in Shanghai to use your DSU.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mediator
This hotel is likely gaming the system. PH Shanghai used to have six suites consist of both city (2) and bund (4) view for DSU. Now they moved the bund view suites to a higher category, therefore only 2 "city view" suites are available for DSU I would recommend to stay at a different Hyatt in Shanghai to use your DSU.
I actually am...I booked 1 night at each Hyatt to review and try them out. I can't recall any other Hyatt that does this. But I agree its pretty shady and leaves a poor impression of the hotel even before you set your foot on their property.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:43 am

Has anyone successfully applied a DSU to the Park Hyatt Shanghai in 2016?

I tried and they don't have any availability until June 2017.

Is this normal?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:12 pm

I have a P+C+DSU booking for this fall, which I confirmed at the beginning of this year.

When I made the booking, the pattern I noticed was DSU suite category unavailable under Standard Rate sale for every weekend day through end of schedule. It was available for most weekdays during the falls dates I was considering.

I achieved my reservation via first booking P+C, then email to hotel with request for DSU "on a exception basis as a past guest". They did confirm me in the standard DSU suite (even though the website had earlier that day not shown standard suite availability under Standard Rate).

Property seemed to be gaming the DSU rules.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:36 pm

Thanks Colin. I tried calling Hyatt and the agent told me tough luck. Property can do whatever it wants

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.