Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster
Was looking at a few dates later this year and saw rates have noticeably increased from 2020. That's to be expected as we approach the post-COVID era, of course.

But curiouser and curiouser: No standard suites available for any of the dates I've checked, and I've now looked at weekends across several months, including in January (purely speculative, since new cases in Hebei have put the kibosh on travel for a bit). It goes straight from Bund View Deluxe rooms to the Diplomat Suite. Haven't called the hotel yet, since I don't have a specific date to ask about, but I have to wonder what gives.
I tried last week to book with TSUs for a Feb stay and saw no standard suites available for months available. I called Globalist line - they Called the front desk who said only 3 standard suites available right now and all booked for months. I'm not sure if that meant renovating or what but they said not t o expect TSU opportunities for a long time
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:55 am

I went through weekend by weekend and there's nothing. I checked a few weekdays in August and they were bookable, so it's not a blanket outage. Find it hard to believe they're all taken throughout the whole year, but if indeed there are only three available my guess would be renovations.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 2:13 am

The agent told me I could book with TSU in August but nothing was available before then

UOTE=Cotton Candy Lobster;32964089]I went through weekend by weekend and there's nothing. I checked a few weekdays in August and they were bookable, so it's not a blanket outage. Find it hard to believe they're all taken throughout the whole year, but if indeed there are only three available my guess would be renovations.[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 5, 2023, 3:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold

Completed a stay recently at this property and was given a room on the 88th floor, which was extremely quiet given there are only 8 rooms on the floor, including 1 not in service and 1 occupied by the GM.

Breakfast was not so impressive but glad they now provide bottled cold brews, something similar to what PH Hangzhou does.

They also have a lounge called Salon which is not complimentary for Globalists, but has a daily HH with free flowing Veuve and hot food.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 3:56 am

Thanks for sharing, this is a Diplomat suite and the 88th floor has only specialty suites and connecting rooms. I loved this suite -- great view, if no clouds.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 1:05 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
A delicious welcome gift of lemon cake and chocolate covered banana cake!!!!!

Old Dec 23, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Here are my impressions of one of the highest hotels in the world - I generally quite liked the Park Hyatt Shanghai:

Pros:
  • Upgraded to a nice Pearl Tower view room (no suites besides Diplomat or higher available, so I didn’t expect a suite)
  • Absolutely stunning views of Jin Mao and the Pearl Tower along with the sunset over the Puxi skyline and the massive pillar of the Shanghai Tower
  • Design is sparse but it matches the Park Hyatt (and maybe Andaz 5th Avenue) aesthetic I expect from Hyatts of the era in which it was built
  • Shower pressure was crazy strong - amazing rainfall head
  • Delicious banana and lemon cakes as welcome gift (so yum)
  • Offered 4 PM late checkout by default
  • That chaise lounge was really plush
  • Breakfast on the 91st floor was good - tasty omelet, loved the waffles and Oreo-stuffed pancakes, good croissants
  • Service was friendly - especially personable at check-out

Neutral:
  • Bed was fine - I slept well and the pillows were plush, but I would argue the mattress was a bit overly firm and the covers could use a bit more thickness
  • Small staining on one of the pillow cases - asked for a replacement and ended up getting a large apology from a manager, an offer to switch rooms, etc - didn’t need all that, so a housekeeper came by very quickly to replace the pillow case as I asked - they really seemed to care

I would return.

Photos:

lsquare and vegasbased like this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Magnificent views and photos. I've never stayed there but have had breakfast with friends at the restaurant which was on the 90-something floor.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 11:52 pm

Glad you got to stay at PH . My office looks directly on it - I've never actually stayed there but dine there regularly.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:01 pm

This is one of the hotels which I do not frequent anymore. Ever since they removed all the Park Suites from inventory bookable on Hyatt.com, I have never stayed here. I hate hotels which play games with Suite Upgrade Awards "availability".
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
This is one of the hotels which I do not frequent anymore. Ever since they removed all the Park Suites from inventory bookable on Hyatt.com, I have never stayed here. I hate hotels which play games with Suite Upgrade Awards "availability".
Is that against WoH rules? I'm guessing that as a Globalist, it's unlikely I'll be upgraded to a suite?

I'm currently seeing 20,000 points/¥2,142.52. It's tempting. The cash rate seems a bit low. Maybe pay cash instead of using my points?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 9:04 pm

And this is why I've never stayed here - I've never seen a park suite available to book. This property and HR Suzhou both seem to play games. I've called to complain but nothing has been done. It bothers me actually. Even at height of covid when business collapsed, I couldn't book a staycation

And it is one reason I actually done at GH SH more than PH SH
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SHLTP
And this is why I've never stayed here - I've never seen a park suite available to book. This property and HR Suzhou both seem to play games. I've called to complain but nothing has been done. It bothers me actually. Even at height of covid when business collapsed, I couldn't book a staycation

And it is one reason I actually done at GH SH more than PH SH
I keep reading that GH Shanghai has gone downhill since the start of the pandemic. Are you OK staying there as a Globalist over the PH Shanghai?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I keep reading that GH Shanghai has gone downhill since the start of the pandemic. Are you OK staying there as a Globalist over the PH Shanghai?
I wouldn't stay at GH now. Service overall is terrible. There were I believe a few suicides among guests that caused staff turnover and for them to be upset (that's the rumor). It's just not a happy place right now but it's fine for me to eat there

SH is another city that Marriott beats Hyatt. Properties are old and/or not well located. There are almost more Marriotts in Shanghai alone than Hyatts in all of China
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Exactly my experience.

In the 2-3 years prior to COVID, I would be making almost-monthly trips to Shanghai, and staying there 5-7 days each time. PH was my preferred hotel if I needed to be on the Pudong side for all or a part of my stay. Whenever a Park Suite was available, I would use a suite upgrade award. Of course, if my stay only spanned 1-2 nights, I would just book a regular Park King room instead. Over the course of those 2-3 years, I would have stayed at the PH approx 25-30 days each year. Then, the hotel started playing games by withholding suite inventory from Hyatt.com. You could actually see the suites being removed, very consistently, at +182 days. For example, if I were checking for availability T+183, I could see the Park King or Twin suites; more than one were available. Then, at T+182 days, all the Park Suites would magically disappear. I called out the hotel on this point, and their excuse was that the Suites were booked by long-term guests. Ridiculous answer. I actually had a back-and-forth email exchange with the DoR during that time to "bet" with him when the suites would be taken out of inventory. And, I was consistently winning this "bet" by tracking their disappearance at T+182 days.

Of course, nothing was done about this, and nothing has changed during that time, so I have taken my business elsewhere. I had moved over to the GH for about a year, and then COVID hit. As I and others have written in the GH thread, the GH has gone downhill post-COVID, so I am not staying there either.

Now, when I need to be in Pudong side, I am either at the Pudong Shangri-La or the Shangri-La Qiantan.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.