Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:07 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by njdealguy
Hi, I'm looking to make a 2 night booking at this hotel using Chase UR points for the Gourmet Delight package with $100 food voucher.

Can see that I can make 2 separate 1 night bookings that shows the voucher. Does anyone know if do that, I can get the $100 credit twice, as in for each night? I'd be willing to also book one night in my name, and the other in my wife's then checkout/checkin between nights if this would work.

Also does anyone know if this package is good for room service or breakfast, besides dinner?
IME the Gourmet Delight package was only available on stays 2 nights or more. This may have changed.

It's a great deal. Used to exclude room service so check the terms of the rate.

I'm unsure your plan to check in and out will work.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Is the afternoon tea complimentary for diamonds?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; Delta Platinum; Priority Club Platinum.
Christmas in PH Melbourne

My partner and I came down to Australia for a 2 week holiday over Christmas and New Years. We are spending the first 4 nights at the Park Hyatt in Melbourne.
I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed with the room we got. I used a DSU and we got a suite in the cathedral wing.
Last time I was here, I don't think I used a DSU, but got a room twice as big as this one... And it was in the main tower!
Plus last time there was a bottle of wine and snacks waiting in the room... Even though I always take points over amenity!
The hotel is awesome... But, this knocks it down a star in my book!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jeffmilw
Last time I was here, I don't think I used a DSU, but got a room twice as big as this one...
Probably your imagination? The largest standard room is only a few sq meters more than the entry level suite (60 vs 55).
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:07 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by LivelyFL
Is the afternoon tea complimentary for diamonds?
Club lounge access is complementary for Diamonds. They serve evening drinks and canapés (light snacks) every day 6pm-8pm.

The afternoon tea or "high tea" available to the public is not free.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:32 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RTW1
Probably your imagination? The largest standard room is only a few sq meters more than the entry level suite (60 vs 55).
No, not at all.

I have stayed in quite a few rooms, and some of the Club Deluxe are up to 85 square metres. You just need to know which to request

I've been upgraded to some Park Suites which are an odd, long series of rooms where I have requested to be downgraded to a Club Deluxe.

The former GM Sholto told me that unlike the website room descriptions, there are actually 38 different configurations.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I have stayed in quite a few rooms, and some of the Club Deluxe are up to 85 square metres. You just need to know which to request
Still not twice as big :-).
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by penegal
Club lounge access is complementary for Diamonds. They serve evening drinks and canapés (light snacks) every day 6pm-8pm.

The afternoon tea or "high tea" available to the public is not free.
Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
It is a nice hotel. We are upgraded to club deluxe room, which is a very big room. But I need to say I need a small suite, just need a living room for my work. The room I got is much bigger than many suite room in hotel industry and can be easily transform to a junior suite. I like Grand Hyatt Singapore, which has a small living room for their deluxe room. It is very convenient when I travel with my family.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:39 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Currently at the hotel and was given a note that at checkin that the club lounge is closed until the 14th of Jan. Replacement has been set up in one of the conference rooms. Not a huge issue - but to be honest I think some advance notice would have been nice. The front desk was very keen to remind me that I could have only the continental breakfast in the restaurant. When I pointed out my rate included breakfast, she claimed she knew that but if it didn't I could only have continental?

I really only have one room preference - no connecting door - so of course they gave me a connecting room. Did receive an upgrade to the club deluxe room, so full points for that.

I'm not important enough to even get the preprinted welcome letter - I think my ego can handle it.

Also no turndown service - although other rooms on the floor appeared to get it?

Overall not particularly impressed. Part of the problem is getting stuck in your comfort zone - I've been staying at the Westin since they opened and despite its many faults is well run and I always know 100% what to expect.

May take a few more stays here to make a true judgement - but ignored room preferences and being lectured about breakfast isn't a good start. I get the impression that the First XI may still be on summer holidays and the U16's have been put in charge!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:57 am

Speak to the duty manager tomorrow. I'm sure they'll move you if you ask. The hotel has maintained the $8 up charge for hot items cooked to order. GP has confirmed this is allowed as its considered a la carte.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:36 pm

GM contact

Hello,

My fiancee and I will be in Melbourne for 3 weeks (next week) and we decided to scale back our stay here and split it with the GH.

We are really torn on whether to use our DSU. We are both Diamond members.

Does anybody have a contact for the GM? Does it provide useful to contact the GM prior to arrival?

Any tips to maximize our stay would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:20 pm

I've never understood why people contact a GM prior to a stay. As to whether to use a DSU, there are many posts related to that. Are you staying at both hotels for 3 weeks in total? DSUs are only valid for up to 7 nights.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:05 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by okee7885
Hello,

My fiancee and I will be in Melbourne for 3 weeks (next week) and we decided to scale back our stay here and split it with the GH.

We are really torn on whether to use our DSU. We are both Diamond members.

Does anybody have a contact for the GM? Does it provide useful to contact the GM prior to arrival?

Any tips to maximize our stay would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Welcome to Flyertalk & the Gold Passport forum ^
I personally would use the DS upgrade at the Grand Hyatt and not bother at the Park Hyatt using it where the rooms are bigger and Diamonds are generally upgraded fair enough
My suggestion if you have a request would be to contact the Reservation's manager or Front office manager
IMHO writing emailing or calling the GM is somewhat inappropriate unless you have a personal relationship with him or her and the hotel for some time

In the end the request goes back to the reservations manager except in the most unusual situations where they really feel there is an overwhelming
reason to break protocol in the standard recognition process and override what is typically delivered
Both these hotels have strong track records taking care of Diamonds unless in a sellout position
Even then they are going to meet the minimal promised written expectation standard typically in my 20 years of visiting Melbourne
Have a wonderful Trip!
Cheers
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:09 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
I ended up extending my recent stay. With minimal assistance from a extraordinarily unhelpful front desk officer I was able to switch rooms. I originally had an xx57 room which had an undeniable great view of the church, but suffered noise from the connecting room and from the air conditioning units on the roof above it and switched to an xx56 room.

The xx56 room had a great view across to the MCG, AAMI Stadium, Tennis Centre and even out to the bay, which I really liked. Given most people rave about the church view hopefully the hotel might view the xx56 outlook as less desirable - if so I would be quite happy to be assigned it on future stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.