Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR St. Louis at The Arch (formerly Waterfront) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HR St. Louis at The Arch (formerly Waterfront) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:37 pm

free internet

i have never had a problem at this hotel (8-10 stays last year and 5 this year) in clicking on the faster internet option and not paying anything extra at check-out...
Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Good overall, but rough around the edges-almost a disaster.

Stayed this weekend for the VP Fair. Overall, it's a nice hotel with a very very good Regency Club. Some cons though--I am taking in account it is a busy weekend for the hotel.

Pros:

1. Very very good Regency Club. Service is outstanding--maybe it was me ordering Miller Lite in a Bud town, but RC conceirge remembered me and my room number after the first night. Both attendents very attentive. Nice view and spread for evenings. Typical morning spread.

2. Room was nice; not a full 1 BR suite, but split nicely. Two sinks, one in bath and one just outside. Comfortable Grand Bed, and other furniture was comfortable. I was in 1450, overlooking the downtown/Keener Plaza area/Old Courthouse.

3. Great valet service, and great service in the restaurant/bar areas. Despite the crowds, they handled things well (even when running out of glasses).

4. Room service breakfast (1 day) was outstanding--hot and delicious.

Cons:

1. Housekeeping-left a note for extra towels and a $3 tip. No extra towels. 2nd night, housekeeper must have been mad I didn't leave a tip and threw all the extra towels on top of the closet, then threw the extra soap and shampoo in a big pile under more towels next the the sink.

2. Reservations was for 2 free suite nights (via Visa) plus two nights paid with the Diamond Suite upgrade. Nina checked me in and gave me a Double room. During check in, I was not certain she understood what I was saying, so I confirmed with her my reservation set up. Still, apparently she didn't understand. After a call (in which I waited quite some time), and a visit to the desk, they were able to "find" me a suite. Even when I asked where the "enterprise" office was, she did not know what I was asking. I asked "Enterprise rent-a-car", and she thought I said something else. I again reiterated "Enterprise rent a car"--still didn't know. "The company that has their rental car office in the hotel"...still nothing. I then looked over to my right and saw their sign.

Never offered Diamond Amenity.

3. Follow up was a big issue.VIP Manager and who I think was a housekeeping manager, both of whom knew I was a bit upset with check in experience, said they would follow up with me to ensure all was okay. Never followed up (again, I'll chalk that up to them being busy).

On Saturday, I called down to shorten my stay by one day (due to Amtrak rails being flooded and canceling our train). Woman stated "good thing you called down now, so there won't be a charge". I was relieved.

Knowing my experience with follow up thus far, I rechecked at the front desk. No change was made. The gentleman at the desk was very nice and cordial, and offered me the Diamond Points, and entered my SWA miles as I had requested for the SWA mile deal. He was the highlight of my front desk experience. Check out was fine as well--had numerous internet charges that were pulled off for Diamond benefits.

Overall, I'd stay again--it was busy, I'll give them that. But the housekeeping experience and check in was pretty bad.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat
Staying at the hotel now (in an Arch View King) so figured I'd bump the thread. Overall I think it's a nice property and one of the better options for business travelers in the city (i.e., I'd rate it below the Westin but ahead of the Sheraton).

One highlight is the gym - clean and bright, with high quality equipment and towels. It's a physically large room so doesn't feel very crowded even when other people are in it.

It was also nice to have choices for meals. I ate at all three hotel restaurants this week and while none were standouts, it's good to have options:
Brewhouse - solid sports bar option. Good sandwiches and chili, long beer list. Ruth's Chris - standard steakhouse, nice to be able to charge to the room. Be careful about walking in here - we tried it the first night and it was fully booked.
RED - pretty average lobby restaurant with Mediterranean theme.

On the downside, I did not like the bed at all. Some other posters enjoyed the bed; mine was an extremely old, saggy mattress with really thin, beat up sheets.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Have an upcoming stay booked here thanks to a very low bid on Priceline, $42 plus fees for one night. Hoping to either pay or use points for an upgrade to Regency Club or at least a view of the Arch.

If anyone has stayed here previously on a Priceline bid and can offer advice on obtaining an upgrade I would appreciate it.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
48-hour sale at Hyatt St Louis [via Twitter]

30% off
Starts at midnight tonight
Stay 6/29-7/31
Code: C48JUN
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by boxo
48-hour sale at Hyatt St Louis [via Twitter]

30% off
Starts at midnight tonight
Stay 6/29-7/31
Code: C48JUN
This place is easily had at 119.00 weekdays and 79.00 on weekends. Nice place, nice lounge good bartenders.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Quick trip report (from a Marriott Plat/LT Gold)

Just had a two-night, no-status stay with IlliniMom and one of my IlliniBoys at this hotel and wanted to share a bit.

First question you might have is why would a Marriott Plat stay at a Hyatt w/o status? Well, my loyalty to the St. Louis Cardinals trumps any hotel brand anywhere anytime. Also, I just thought it would be interesting to get a reminder of what a 'regular' guest experiences. I am a member of GP, but haven't stayed in over 10 years, since I've been concentrating on Marriott. Since I'm not far from LT Plat (I'm LT Gold or at least just a bit short on the points side), I was also testing the waters to see if I might like to work on Hyatt as a backup program. So, since the Cardinals' Winter Warm Up convention was at Hyatt, we stayed there. Anyway, I digress.

Overall. Very satisfied with this stay. The staff was genuinely friendly and helpful, even granting late checkout to 1pm. I made no mention of my Marriott status, except a brief throw-away comment during checkout.

Room. We were on 6, in a 'sort-of corner' double with a view of the neighboring building. I asked about availability of an Arch view king, not expecting much due to the convention, and was politely told it wasn't available. No big deal. The room itself was larger than expected, certainly larger than most Marriott rooms I've had, which was a big plus. There was an extra sink between the closet and the bathroom, which came in handy since IlliniMom typically takes over the bathroom. There was also a high-top table with a couple of chairs, which was very convenient for both food brought back to the room and just some extra table space in addition to the desk. TV was fine; a nice HD unit but not all channels were in HD. Not that we spent a lot of time watching TV, but we caught 10 minutes of one of the NFL games and it was SD.

Beds. Not quite as comfortable to me as a Marriott bed, but nothing to be ashamed of. I slept very soundly. There was also a clock/radio with an iPhone doc, which I don't see in the Marriott properties I frequent, even on the higher floors.

Bath. Larger than what I've been used to, but oddly, no hooks for clothes/towels/etc other than the existing shelving There was apparently a hook on the back of the door for this particular bathroom that had fallen/broken off. That should have been replaced as a matter of routine. The only places to put your towel while in the shower was on the commode or on the front of the sink. You could also just leave it in the towel rack under the sink but that means the floor gets wet when you reach for the towel, since the small floor towel doesn't cover much space. At most Marriott's, there is a rack at the back of the shower, so when you're done you can start to dry off in the shower. Very minor issue, but annoying nonetheless. Water pressure and temperature was fine for me, and I like very hot showers. The toiletries were fine as well, nothing particularly memorable, but they did the job.

Food. We ate at two of the three restaurants in the hotel, Ruth's Chris and the Brewhouse sports bar. Ruth's Chris was excellent as expected. At the Brewhouse we had excellent burgers, plus an order of St. Louis gooey butter cake. Absolutely fantastic if you like sweets. My only complaint was that one serving included only two small squares, roughly a square inch each. But, my waistline is glad there wasn't more, because I surely would have eaten it all.

Internet. Without status, this wasn't free in the room, so I didn't pay. Don't even recall the price, but there were two tiers offered. According to the room pamphlet, only standard was free for Diamond/Platinum, IIRC. But, I did use it for a few hours in the lobby, where it was free, and it was good enough for the basics. Whether this would be worth paying for during a normal business stay, I can't say.

The Man. If you'll indulge me for a moment, while this weekend was a fabulous experience, especially for the little IlliniBoy and huge Cards fan, it was also tinged with sadness. Legendary Cardinal Stan 'The Man' Musial passed away Saturday night. His statue is worth seeing if you're ever in STL. This picture is from the side, so you can't see the inscription. It reads:

Here stands baseball's perfect warrior. Here stands baseball's perfect knight.

Yes, sounds sappy. But if you ask around St. Louis in particular or baseball in general, he was a better person than ballplayer. And he was one of the best to ever play the game.

Last edited by illinidad; Jan 22, 2013 at 8:52 pm Reason: Add comment about internet access
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:13 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Thank you illinidad for your extensive review on a roperty that doesn't get much attention. FWIW, this property was reflagged from another chain a few years ago so one of the features you mentioned may be leftover from the prior affiliation and not really typical of Hyatt properties.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by peteropny
Thank you illinidad for your extensive review on a roperty that doesn't get much attention. FWIW, this property was reflagged from another chain a few years ago so one of the features you mentioned may be leftover from the prior affiliation and not really typical of Hyatt properties.
I know that property very well both before and after. Which feature are you referring to?

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Sep 23, 2013 at 8:18 pm
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:38 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I know that property very well both brfore and after. Which feature are you referring to?
Nothing in particular, just responding to the reviewers comments such as on where to hang towels in the bathrooms.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by peteropny
Nothing in particular, just responding to the reviewers comments such as on where to hang towels in the bathrooms.
Oh ok, while they did put a lot of money into the hotel, I can still recognize the property as the Adam's Mark.

In my former life, I spent many a night in many of those rooms. It was nice being able to access the PMS and assign my own room
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Bumping up this thread hoping someone has stayed there recently. Going to be there in October on points. No status with Hyatt. Is paying extra 2K points for Club level worth it in terms of a better room and/or free booze and snacks? How much is fast in-room internet? Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout
Bumping up this thread hoping someone has stayed there recently. Going to be there in October on points. No status with Hyatt. Is paying extra 2K points for Club level worth it in terms of a better room and/or free booze and snacks? How much is fast in-room internet? Thanks.
The club rooms are very similar to the regular rooms, though you may find them to be a tad larger than other rooms on the sides of the buildings. Do not count on free booze in the club. THe nightly snacks in the club range from veggies to wings, chilli, etc. Nothing to write home about, but better than the cold offerings at some clubs.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mnscout
I stayed here at the end of July and we really enjoyed it. I, personally, would have to say that 2k points is worth the Club level for the RC itself. Like stated before me, the rooms are nothing to write home about, but we really did enjoy the club. Standard wine/liquor Club charges; however, the snacks and afternoon apps were great. Everything from four different kind of trail mixes throughout the day and thin-crust pizza for the hors d'oeuvre session.

I believe internet was $9.95. I do not remember them having the three tiers of internet service as provided by some Hyatt's recently....
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.