Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR St. Louis at The Arch (formerly Waterfront) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HR St. Louis at The Arch (formerly Waterfront) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
There's also a Ruth's Chris steakhouse in the hotel.

-David
Oh right -- I discounted that just because I don't like steakhouses! (I love steak, grill it at home weekly, but can't stomach the pretentiousness of steakhouses). The main reason for my complaint is that when I have some late meetings and get back at midnight, I enjoy getting a nightcap at the hotel bar.
------

And just because I see so many comments up above -- I did quite a bit of walking around. I walked about 1/2-1 mile in multiple directions for some places to eat.

I didn't think the area felt all that 'unsafe'. Sure, there was some grit to it -- reminded me of some of my favorite neighborhoods I roamed in Manhattan in the 90s and early 00s before the gentrification came for them. But no-one talked to me, followed me, looked at me, etc.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Oh right -- I discounted that just because I don't like steakhouses! (I love steak, grill it at home weekly, but can't stomach the pretentiousness of steakhouses). The main reason for my complaint is that when I have some late meetings and get back at midnight, I enjoy getting a nightcap at the hotel bar.
------

And just because I see so many comments up above -- I did quite a bit of walking around. I walked about 1/2-1 mile in multiple directions for some places to eat.

I didn't think the area felt all that 'unsafe'. Sure, there was some grit to it -- reminded me of some of my favorite neighborhoods I roamed in Manhattan in the 90s and early 00s before the gentrification came for them. But no-one talked to me, followed me, looked at me, etc.
It is definitely not a area I would walk around from experience. I was robbed at gunpoint about 2 blocks north of the hotel and have witnessed it happen to others after a cardinals game right in front of the hotel. They pull up in a car hop out with guns, rob you and hop back in the car and go north. When talking to the police after the incident they told me they (the police) don't go north and not to walk around the area. So while the area isn't itself crime ridden it's proximity to a area that is makes it dangerous
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I saw on TripAdvisor someone calling this a dangerous run down area part of Downtown where someone was murdered by the hotel while they were there
Haven't been there now in years.
Would I be better off in the Clayton Area?
Also the brand new grand opening of the Le Meridien its the exact same amount of points as the Hyatt
even with this Marriotts devaluation so thinking of splitting up my stay
My only stay here 3 or 4 years ago I remember as fairly lackluster just ok.
Have they refreshed the property?The room seemed quite dated at the time as I remember
I'm confused that you say it is the same number of points. It seems to be 24k vs 8k per night.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:45 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
I'm confused that you say it is the same number of points. It seems to be 24k vs 8k per night.
Appreciate the question and opportunity to clarify
Let us not forget that Marriotts redemptions are now dynamic so right of the bat YMMV
meaning your cost to redeem daily will vary widely at any Bonvoy property globally

Hyatt has their new seasonal pricing which is mostly negative imho as well especially premium properties
The eroding breakfast devaluation cuts to Globalists at a number of select properties unacceptable
I find myself using other programs more frequently as I’ve expressed.
Not anti Hyatt by any means but the folks running WOH are not doing the historic great job we’ve
come to know from Hyatt

Other thoughts
Most Marriott members earn 10 points per dollar Hyatt 5 so if the
redemption is 24000 points it’s really 12k per night even before we explore other angles
of earning or promotions
In my situation being a LT Titanium I’m earning close to 20 points per dollars per including elite bonus and Bonvoy credit card bonuses before any possible promotions that may be in play at the time.

When my millions of points came over from SPG to Marriotts program they tripled.
24 divided by 3 is equal to 8 k a night.Hopefully you understand my reasoning and math at how I arrive
at my end valuation

As an elite Marriott memberI was offered both the complimentary Full hot & cold breakfast off the menu
The program only promises continental in terms & conditions
Breakfast @ Le Meridien Clayton was outstanding and they also offered me the elite 1000 check
in amenity points at check in as well
That was a goodwill gesture as it’s typically breakfast or the points
Good enough breakfast that I would have happily paid for it and I’m not easy to please.
Equal or better to some Park Hyatts or breakfasts I’ve had in NYC
I had anything I wanted off the menu and no exclusions or nickel and diming.
The hard product room wise leagues above the Hyatt Regency
Points aside I’d also be happy to pay for the room which was just under 200 a night.
Was upgraded to a large modern perfectly clean flawless parlor one bedroom suite

Despite the large volume of mean nasty remarks just about everywhere about Marriott Bonvoy many justifiable
The Le Meridien is making Marriott Bonvoy proud Highly recommended in this market
There is an even newer one close to the HR but have no idea how it compares

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jul 24, 2022 at 1:11 pm
Old Jul 29, 2022, 7:44 am

I stayed at the Le Meridian Clayton and the HR St Louis this week. No top-level elite status in either program. I greatly preferred the Hyatt, although service was much more polished at the Le Meridian. The area downtown near the Hyatt had tons of people walking around at night and while I am not an expert I would cautiously walk in the area.

Last edited by The_Wrath_of_Khan; Jul 29, 2022 at 8:25 am
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:09 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Good to hear.Everyone’s needs are different and so much of it is subjective
I still felt safer in Clayton and I believe closer to the airport
No comparison in my eyes food quality and bed comfort wise as well as a new hard product with super nice modern design
Really enjoyed the design of the bathroom and shower as well & took photos for future residence renovations
What made the hotel stay great besides location?

I wonder if the Hyatt had a renovation anytime in the last 10 years?
My suite was tired at the Hyatt as was the bathroom.Felt like a return to the 70s or the 80s
I do like historical properties too like the Hyatt Bellevue in Philadelphia and that’s in dire need of a renovation too
But at least they have a solid breakfast and if it ever opens a world class fitness center
And a great location as well
Old Jul 31, 2022, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I still felt safer in Clayton and I believe closer to the airport
Don't get me wrong, Clayton definitely feels safer.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 9/10 to 9/11

Location: The hotel is located a block from Gateway Arch and maybe four blocks from the Cardinals stadium and its nearby Ballpark Village. It's also four blocks down Pine to the 8th and Pine Street Metrolink Station. I did the walk in broad daylight Saturday at 10 AM and regretted it and did not do it again. If you're there to tour the city like I was it works well and it was very easy to get Ubers/Lyfts all day Saturday and Sunday

Hotel: The hotel is a massive urban high rise in an older style brick construction. Due to the odd design of the building the corridors on the floors tend to ramble. They also have even rooms on one side and odd on the other which threw me off. There's both valet and self parking but due to all the events at the hotel they filled up quickly. There's no lounge, no pool but there is a Ruth Chris, breakfast restaurant sports bar with good local beers on tap, gift shop, a Starbucks and a FedEx Office which is a treat.

Check In: I arrived at 10:30 AM and got right into my room, always a huge plus. I was with my daughter and we needed two beds so I didn't expect an upgrade but I was moved to a Deluxe Twin. I was offered a late checkout and given two waters.

Room: I had lots of space which I appreciated. A large desk, two sinks, dining table and separate chair and a nice view of the city. I will note some issues. For one, soundproofing is next to nothing. I could hear every word my neighbors were saying along with their alarm they kept snoozing the next morning. Also the Chromecast didn't work. Wifi worked well at least.

Breakfast: Globalist got full buffet in the lobby. It was the boring style American buffet breakfast with scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, potatoes and bacon along with breads, cereal, fruit etc.

I will note every single employee I dealt with was friendly and helpful and very hard working. Overall a good stay and I'd be back.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by CMK10
Stay Report - 9/10 to 9/11

Location: The hotel is located a block from Gateway Arch and maybe four blocks from the Cardinals stadium and its nearby Ballpark Village. It's also four blocks down Pine to the 8th and Pine Street Metrolink Station. I did the walk in broad daylight Saturday at 10 AM and regretted it and did not do it again. If you're there to tour the city like I was it works well and it was very easy to get Ubers/Lyfts all day Saturday and Sunday

Hotel: The hotel is a massive urban high rise in an older style brick construction. Due to the odd design of the building the corridors on the floors tend to ramble. They also have even rooms on one side and odd on the other which threw me off. There's both valet and self parking but due to all the events at the hotel they filled up quickly. There's no lounge, no pool but there is a Ruth Chris, breakfast restaurant sports bar with good local beers on tap, gift shop, a Starbucks and a FedEx Office which is a treat.

Check In: I arrived at 10:30 AM and got right into my room, always a huge plus. I was with my daughter and we needed two beds so I didn't expect an upgrade but I was moved to a Deluxe Twin. I was offered a late checkout and given two waters.

Room: I had lots of space which I appreciated. A large desk, two sinks, dining table and separate chair and a nice view of the city. I will note some issues. For one, soundproofing is next to nothing. I could hear every word my neighbors were saying along with their alarm they kept snoozing the next morning. Also the Chromecast didn't work. Wifi worked well at least.

Breakfast: Globalist got full buffet in the lobby. It was the boring style American buffet breakfast with scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, potatoes and bacon along with breads, cereal, fruit etc.

I will note every single employee I dealt with was friendly and helpful and very hard working. Overall a good stay and I'd be back.
Thanks! I'll be there in a couple of days. What did you regret about the walk? Dangerous or just hot?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 4:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Thanks! I'll be there in a couple of days. What did you regret about the walk? Dangerous or just hot?
It felt pretty unsafe. Broken glass all over the sidewalks, passing nothing but boarded up businesses and even a boarded up parking garage. The smell of urine and God knows what else.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
It felt pretty unsafe. Broken glass all over the sidewalks, passing nothing but boarded up businesses and even a boarded up parking garage. The smell of urine and God knows what else.
I walked the whole area and in the daylight it wasn't that bad. I didn't go out at night so I can't comment.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:10 am

Got an odd misspelled email from this property titled "Reservation Changed" for a 2024 reservation.

Note from Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch A VALID CREDIT CARD IS REQUIRED FOR CHECKIN. THIS HOTEL IS OPERATING IN A CASH FREE ENVIRONMENT. CREDIT AND DEBIT CARDS ARE ONLY FORMS OF PAYMENT ACCEPTED AS OF DECEMBER 5, 2023. $75 DEP NIGHTLY WILL BE COLLECTED AT CHECKIN FOR INCIDENALS. ARCH VIEW ROOMS MUST BE PURCHASED AT TIME OF RESERVATION
"$75 DEP" ok sure whatever... does this mean no Arch view upgrade though? It just reads kind of mean and jerky and I'm reconsidering my stay.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:31 am

STL needs some better Hyatt options…

Sucks The Last Hotel on Wash Ave left the portfolio a few years back
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by sabester24
STL needs some better Hyatt options…

Sucks The Last Hotel on Wash Ave left the portfolio a few years back
Agreed. Last Hotel I don’t think even made it a full year with Hyatt. STL is one of the few cities out there where the quality of other properties outweighs the globalist benefits. Marriott, Hilton, and even IHG and Accor have taken advantage of the many historic refurbs going around and capitalized on that. Hyatt meanwhile seems content with a crumbling convention hotel with paper thin walls, no housekeeping to speak of, pests in the buffet, and a shuttered but very visible lounge.

There’s so much lost potential here.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Even some of those historic refurbs in other brands suffer from terrible soft product with bad training and a lack of care that overpowers any improvement in hard product - I visited STL once and likely won’t return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.