Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by gh0001
i also have chase award nights unused. I can reserve nights online but can they be cancelled like 1 day before?

Is it better to call Hyatt for chase award night redemption?

understand that DSU is not available for chase award nights. thanks.
You should call US central reservations to reserve the CC award nights. The hotel would probably allow you to pay the difference to upgrade to a higher category, but I suspect there would be no point to this. You would still be better off paying a rate and using the DSU.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by gh0001
i also have chase award nights unused. I can reserve nights online but can they be cancelled like 1 day before?

Is it better to call Hyatt for chase award night redemption?

understand that DSU is not available for chase award nights. thanks.
Do you mean the Chase award night for the sign-up offer or the annual award? If it were latter, you can't use it at this hotel.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:05 pm

I meant the former the sign up nights
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I'm currently on my last night here and I have a question about Onsen in Hyatt. I've been to several onsens in Japan (both hotels and independently run ones) and always noticed the onsen water is murky (ranging from a little murky to very heavily sulfur smelling murky). When I got to use HR Hakone's Onsen, i was surprised to see the water is very clear, and not "smelling" of any sulfur or mineral-ish smell. So...i'm just wondering whether the water in HR Hakone is really onsen water?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Murkiness has nothing to do with it being a true onsen.... And you must been having a lot of baths not to smell the sulfur anymore that is present at the HR Hakone :-). I sure did, not such much when at the onsen itself but later when I was back in my room.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the onsen water in the Gora area comes from higher up on the hill. You can see the area it is taken from if you ride the ropeway. So yes, it really is onsen water.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gummibar
I'm currently on my last night here and I have a question about Onsen in Hyatt. I've been to several onsens in Japan (both hotels and independently run ones) and always noticed the onsen water is murky (ranging from a little murky to very heavily sulfur smelling murky). When I got to use HR Hakone's Onsen, i was surprised to see the water is very clear, and not "smelling" of any sulfur or mineral-ish smell. So...i'm just wondering whether the water in HR Hakone is really onsen water?
There should be a sign (in Japanese) within the spa room, stating the certification of the water.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that a hotel can legally collect the Hakone Onsen tax if they aren't certified.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks for the replies. I must say that I'm having blocked nose these days so I can't really smell any sulfur coming out of the onsen.. However the sulfur smell at Owakudani is strong enough for me to detect. Also I did not seem to notice any signs posted on the walls of HR Hakone Onsen to certify the water.. Maybe it's hidden in some corner but I didn't bother looking for it. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the onsen even though I found it a little too clear (which is not a bad thing). Typing this now while I'm waiting for the shuttle van to take us to Gora then on the way to Tokyo!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by gummibar
Thanks for the replies. I must say that I'm having blocked nose these days so I can't really smell any sulfur coming out of the onsen.. However the sulfur smell at Owakudani is strong enough for me to detect. Also I did not seem to notice any signs posted on the walls of HR Hakone Onsen to certify the water.. Maybe it's hidden in some corner but I didn't bother looking for it. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the onsen even though I found it a little too clear (which is not a bad thing). Typing this now while I'm waiting for the shuttle van to take us to Gora then on the way to Tokyo!
Natural onsen water can be filtered, supplementarily heated, reheated, and even mixed with a limited amount of non-onsen water at the individual facility and still be certified as natural onsen. So it is not uncommon for baths to seem different even between adjacent facilities, and at large onsen with multiple baths, even among the baths at the same facility. As hailstorm pointed out, there has to be a posted specification in a readily visible location. The bath at HR Hakone is natural onsen.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
other western breakfast options nearby?

We're staying here in July for 2 nights (2 adults + 2 kids). Got two standard rooms, one P+C and one all points. Only Platinum, so no free breakfast. Is there any place close by that serves a western breakfast, or are we stuck eating at the hotel? I saw that the western buffet costs $30+ so that will be a bit pricey for a family of 4 for two mornings.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mangoMan
We're staying here in July for 2 nights (2 adults + 2 kids). Got two standard rooms, one P+C and one all points. Only Platinum, so no free breakfast. Is there any place close by that serves a western breakfast, or are we stuck eating at the hotel? I saw that the western buffet costs $30+ so that will be a bit pricey for a family of 4 for two mornings.
I think that your only option within the immediate vicinity is other hotels.

The Hotel Marroad is about a five minute walk away and offers breakfast buffet in its French restaurant for 1950 yen (about $16 today) It's a nice looking hotel, but I have never eaten there, so cannot vouch for the food.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You can take the cable car down and be in town in about 15 minutes.... but I don't really know any breakfast places there, but there probably will be.
Also when walking to the cable car, just around the corner from the hotel there is a small family operated coffee place that also serves food. Probably breakfast as well.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW1
Also when walking to the cable car, just around the corner from the hotel there is a small family operated coffee place that also serves food. Probably breakfast as well.
If you're talking about the place next to the little store, I think that's only open 11-5.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Google helped me a bit... I was talking about Paseo, as far as I can tell opening is at 9:00. Didn't go there myself, but it looked nice.
https://www.google.nl/maps/@35.24956...OQ!2e0!6m1!1e1
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: hilton spg aa
Hi,
any ideas how long would it take to get there from Andaz Tokyo? We are considering end of next April for 2 nights. Should be very busy time travel wise. Is it worth it with 2 kids (9&10)?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.