Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by batyam
Hi,
any ideas how long would it take to get there from Andaz Tokyo? We are considering end of next April for 2 nights. Should be very busy time travel wise. Is it worth it with 2 kids (9&10)?

Thanks
Quickest if you drive at 1h 44m according to Google and over 2 hours with lots of connections by transit.

Depends what you're going out there for? I'm not sure what your kids are like but there's not that much to do there. Tokyo would be more interesting for kids.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by batyam
Hi,
any ideas how long would it take to get there from Andaz Tokyo? We are considering end of next April for 2 nights. Should be very busy time travel wise. Is it worth it with 2 kids (9&10)?

Thanks
Better access from Hyatt Regency or Park Hyatt. Romance train from Shinjuku to Hakone Yumoto, old-school train to Gora, then free shuttle to the hotel. Going back you can take the free shuttle bus to Odawara.

Two nights in Hakone is about right, but be advised that the mountain is at Level 2 eruption alert, so some attractions like Owakudani and the Ropeway are currently closed.

If you must go from Andaz, bullet train from Tokyo to Odawara followed by shuttle bus will get you there in around two hours.

http://hakone.regency.hyatt.com/en/h...portation.html

Last edited by hailstorm; Jun 23, 2015 at 8:23 pm
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:16 pm

I think Odawara and the shuttle van is the best bet. The switchback train is a novelty, but with small children ot could be a PITA, especially if crowded.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I think Odawara and the shuttle van is the best bet. The switchback train is a novelty, but with small children ot could be a PITA, especially if crowded.
It's part of the tourist experience. If the goal is to get to HRH as quickly as possible then I agree with you...but then what?

Also, depending on age and temperament of said children, this may not be an optimal hotel for OP's needs. Hilton Odawara is much more child friendly.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Aventine
Quickest if you drive at 1h 44m according to Google and over 2 hours with lots of connections by transit.

Depends what you're going out there for? I'm not sure what your kids are like but there's not that much to do there. Tokyo would be more interesting for kids.
Disagree. Although I am not a big fan of Hakone (kind of a ripoff town) there is plenty to see and do outdoors. Stopping at all of the ropeway and tram stops to hike around could take up a whole day and the Odawara castle is also worth a visit.

Personally I love Tokyo but I don't think my kids would find it all that interesting to visit all of the historic shrines.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Disagree. Although I am not a big fan of Hakone (kind of a ripoff town) there is plenty to see and do outdoors. Stopping at all of the ropeway and tram stops to hike around could take up a whole day and the Odawara castle is also worth a visit.
As I mentioned earlier, the ropeway is currently shut down due to volcanic activity. It's been over a month now, and I don't think the situation is changing any time soon.

Odawara Castle is a replica completely rebuilt after the war, and IMO is not worth going out of the way to see. I find it odd that you find it more worthy than shrines and temples with actual history.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Boraxo

Personally I love Tokyo but I don't think my kids would find it all that interesting to visit all of the historic shrines.
I was thinking more along Legoland in Odaiba, Disney Sea and I heard HR Hakone was a bit isolated from the town?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
I was thinking more along Legoland in Odaiba, Disney Sea and I heard HR Hakone was a bit isolated from the town?
There's no central "town" in Hakone; all the sites are dispersed throughout the mountain. Even so, Hyatt Regency Hakone is rather isolated; it's a non-trivial walk to Gora station, and without a car you'll need to use a lot of mass transit to get around.

If you've got kids, and you're not tied to Hyatt for using points or such, you'd be better off staying at a place with more going for it in the general area, like Fujiya Hotel or The Prince Hakone (the latter especially if you're staying during the summer and can stay in one of the neat cabins)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The volcanic threat level of Mt. Hakone has been raised from Level 2 to Level 3, after volcanic ash was discovered over a kilometer away from the mountain.

The restricted area has been raised to a radius of one kilometer from the summit. Still nothing to prevent you from getting to the hotel, but be advised that the situation is getting worse, and toxic gas could becone an issue.

Last edited by hailstorm; Jun 29, 2015 at 11:46 pm
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If anyone has reservations in the near future, you should monitor the volcano situation carefully. It wouldn't be fun to go there and then be told to evaculate. For some people, especially those with asthma and ceratin allergies, there could be health issues. I would hope that the hotel has instituted a liberal policy about cancellations, but people need to ask about this.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In addition to the ropeway, which has been closed since May, service on the Hakone Tozan cable car linking nearby Gora station to Sounzan has been suspended until further notice. Additionally, the temporary bus service that had served to link the areas previously serviced by the ropeway has also been suspended.

On a more positive note, availability for this weekend is now wide open.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
That positive note is somewhat negated if potentially hazardous conditions exist and the local attractions and transportation system are not operating as normal.

Karuizawa and other destinations not far from Tokyo would probably be better options under the circumstances.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition to the ropeway, which has been closed since May, service on the Hakone Tozan cable car linking nearby Gora station to Sounzan has been suspended until further notice. Additionally, the temporary bus service that had served to link the areas previously serviced by the ropeway has also been suspended.

Given this information, I'm almost surprised that the hotel is still open and accepting reservations for the near future.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Karuizawa and other destinations not far from Tokyo would probably be better options under the circumstances.
Mt. Asama in Karuizawa is currently at threat level 2, where Mt. Hakone was before yesterday.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:13 pm

Mt. Asama in Karuizawa is currently at threat level 2, where Mt. Hakone was before yesterday.
Wow... In that case staying in Tokyo sounds more appealing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.