Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:26 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eight minutes is theoretically doable but quite tight. Typically I wouldn't recommend it for someone new to JR. Will you already have your ticket? If not, you have to factor in that there may be a line at the ticket window.

If you miss the shinkansen, your choice is to wait for the next one or switch to the Tokkaido main line to Odawara -- those trains are slower, 30 vs 60 or 70 minutes) and considerably cheaper. They run every 10-20 minutes. If you do that, you might consider each having a Suica card and using the machine on the platform to upgrade to Green car, it will still be only half as much as the shinkansen.

If you have already purchased your ticket all the way to Odawara and decide to switch to the regular train at Shinagawa, you should first go to a JR ticket office and get a refund of the difference. They will grumble a bit to themselves but do it.

Don't worry about missing the train in Odawara, there is very regular service to Hakone Yumoto and then on to Gora.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: OnePass, RIP. Mileage Plus - 1K. Hyatt Gold Passport - Diamond.
^^

Great info RichardInSF, thanks. We are planning to purchase tickets to Odawara at NRT upon arrival, together with NEX tickets. After a long flight we'll want to get to Gora as quickly as possible, so the shinkansen option is preferred. We have some experience with JR, but the problem with an 8 minute layover is not so much missing a train, but rushing and getting on the wrong train. I will ask the clerk at NRT for layover options in this matter. Thanks for the tip about Odawara - we may want to take a bit more time there to purchase the Hakone Passes.

PS - I also wanted to ask if 4 nights is really too much for Hakone. We could also do 3 nights in Hakone plus 3 nights at Park Hyatt Tokyo. In Hakone we'd like to hike quite a bit, see the sights, relax in onsen(s), etc. Three nights is plenty, right? And we never tire of Tokyo, so 3 nights at PHT instead of only two is tempting.

Last edited by onepassjunkie; Aug 2, 2013 at 9:24 am
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Three nights in Hakone is plenty, bordering on too much, unless you really just want to do nothing but relax for a day or more.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Is the Executive Twin Suite any better than the regular Regency Suite? Looking at the floor plans, it seems the Executive Suite has fewer windows and seems more "cramped" than the Regency Suite, even though it is supposedly bigger.
Are the Regency Suite Tatami rooms available using Diamond Upgrades? Which do you recommend? The Regency Suite Twin or the Regency Suite Tatami?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
Are the Regency Suite Tatami rooms available using Diamond Upgrades?
I think so, but the Regency Suite Twins are the best rooms in the house, especially the one on the third floor.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:01 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
I think so, but the Regency Suite Twins are the best rooms in the house, especially the one on the third floor.
I thought so as well but was informed by the hotel that suite upgrade only applies to Regency Suite Twin. Oh well, that suite is the best suite so that I don't have any problem with that.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lewende
I thought so as well but was informed by the hotel that suite upgrade only applies to Regency Suite Twin. Oh well, that suite is the best suite so that I don't have any problem with that.
Unless you need to fit like four or five people in the room, Regency Twin is definitely your best option.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 1:47 pm

Just checked in yesterday. Like everybody reported, a truly magical place. Love it.

Was assigned 306 (Regency Twin Suite), definitely gorgeous view. Is this the one you are referring to? May I know why you think the one on the third floor is the best? Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was assigned 306 (Regency Twin Suite), definitely gorgeous view. Is this the one you are referring to? May I know why you think the one on the third floor is the best? Thanks.
Yes it is (the other Regency Twin Suite is 206) It's better simply because it's higher up and offers a little bit better view. But 206 is about 99% as good.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:09 am

Yes it is (the other Regency Twin Suite is 206) It's better simply because it's higher up and offers a little bit better view. But 206 is about 99% as good.
Got it. My confusion was: I saw a fourth floor so that I assumed Room 406 is the best Regency Suite Twin. Today I just realized there is no 406...

A truly magical place with wonderful staff. Would like to come back here again.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I had both when I was traveling with my parents at the beginning of the year. The difference in view is very, very minor. Both very nice.

Although I find the "Twin" reference a bit of a strange one since there is no separation between the beds. And if I remember correctly mine was also made up as one bed.....
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
I had both when I was traveling with my parents at the beginning of the year. The difference in view is very, very minor. Both very nice.

Although I find the "Twin" reference a bit of a strange one since there is no separation between the beds. And if I remember correctly mine was also made up as one bed.....
There is a separation between my two beds.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a separation between my two beds.
The same for us when we stayed here back in February.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: OnePass, RIP. Mileage Plus - 1K. Hyatt Gold Passport - Diamond.
I will be staying at the Hakone Hyatt in January on points. As a Diamond member I asked them if they can upgrade us to Regency Twin Suite, but since this will be a reward stay, an upgrade is totally at their discretion and subject to availability. So far no reply to my email, either... Anyway, do you guys know what other rooms have a nice view of Fuji-san in case I won't be able to finagle an upgrade?

Also, are there recommendation-worthy restaurants within walking distance in Gora? We are interested in Japanese cuisine. Tripadvisor mentions Nobu and a good tofu place; anything else of note? Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know about the other rooms, but the Gora Kadan is within walking distance, and their Japanese lunch is reasonably priced and very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.