Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
It is probably not necessary, but in such a case I would prefer to have written confirmation via email that they are willing to accommodate the two children and two adults in the suite.
Thanks for the reminder - just got a reply from the hotel confirming kids stay free as long as they share bed with us.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Charging the fee is the law in Hakone. In Japan, following the laws is not trivial.
+1

Originally Posted by suite2suite
Look, I like Japan, I like the people, I go back every year but I was chased on my way out as I was boarding the shuttle bus to pay this trivial tax.... it was a nuisanse that's all. I didn't make a fuss, I just paid.
I'm glad the imposition of having to pay a small tax you owed to the hotel, and which is required by law, did not alter your feelings about Japan...

I am surprised they did not collect the tax at check out when you settled the bill. It is odd that one could manage to get on the shuttle van without first settling the bill.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 8, 2013 at 7:21 pm
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
The law doesn't say the customers have to pay as long as somebody pays it. In the case of reward nights, Goldpassport should pay for it.

Charging the fee is the law in Hakone. In Japan, following the laws is not trivial.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jimmychang
The law doesn't say the customers have to pay as long as somebody pays it.
Actually, the letter of the law does say that the customer is the one that has to pay.

http://www.town.hakone.kanagawa.jp/h...oken01-07.html

入湯税の特別徴収義務者は、温泉・鉱泉浴場の経営者等で、町が指定します。
なお、特別徴収義務者の義務は、次のとおりです。

1.入湯客から入湯税を徴収すること
2.徴収した入湯税を期限までに申告し、納入すること
3.徴収簿に入湯客数・税額・免除客数を記載すること
I'd welcome your interpretation of Japanese law if it differs from mine.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Was there last April on points and was surprised to be told I had to pay an occupancy tax.!
Although relatively small, this is the first time I had to pay a tax on a free stay at any Hyatt property including the ones at Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo.
I haven't seen anyone comment or complain about this? Am I missing something?
I believe you're referring to the onsen (hot spring) tax of 150 yen per person. Unless there's something very new, neither Hakone City nor Kanagawa Prefecture charge a hotel occupancy tax.

None of the other Hyatts in Japan have an onsen, so no onsen tax.

It is customary in Japan for guests at hotels with an onsen to pay this tax regardless of whether or not the hotel room is comped. Every country has its own tax peculiarities (never seen any as peculiar as the diverse state sales taxes in the US) so paying the onsen tax is just a case of "when in Rome"...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:48 am

Actually, the letter of the law does say that the customer is the one that has to pay.

http://www.town.hakone.kanagawa.jp/h...oken01-07.html

I'd welcome your interpretation of Japanese law if it differs from mine.
Actually that says:

The person responsible for collecting the onsen (hot spring) tax at the operator of the onsen or spa bath will be designated by the Town. The responsibilities of the person responsible for collecting the onsen tax are as follows:
1. Collect the onsen tax from guests using the onsen.
2. Report and submit the collected onsen tax within the prescribed period.
3. Record in the tax collection record the number of guests using the onsen, the amount of tax collected, and the number of guests exempted from the tax.

So it would seem that it is possible for some guests to be exempted from paying the tax. And it does not specifically say that it is the responsibility of the guest to pay the tax, but rather that it is the responsibility of the designated person at the onsen operator (in this case the hotel) to collect the tax.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Jan 9, 2013 at 10:43 am
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I believe you're referring to the onsen (hot spring) tax of 150 yen per person. Unless there's something very new, neither Hakone City nor Kanagawa Prefecture charge a hotel occupancy tax.

None of the other Hyatts in Japan have an onsen, so no onsen tax.

It is customary in Japan for guests at hotels with an onsen to pay this tax regardless of whether or not the hotel room is comped. Every country has its own tax peculiarities (never seen any as peculiar as the diverse state sales taxes in the US) so paying the onsen tax is just a case of "when in Rome"...
Yes, you are correct.
After checking the Statement from HR Hakone the description of the tax is: Hot Spring Tax and it is 150 yen per person per day.

We did not use the Onsen.... so the question is:
"Was the Hot Spring Tax charged correctly and does it matters whether a guest chooses to use the Onsen or not?"
We already know that HR Hakone does not differentiate between a guest who pays for the room and one who uses points or redeems an award.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:11 pm

Yes, you are correct.
After checking the Statement from HR Hakone the description of the tax is: Hot Spring Tax and it is 150 yen per person per day.

"Was the Hot Spring Tax charged correctly and does it matters whether a guest chooses to use the Onsen or not?"
We already know that HR Hakone does not differentiate between a guest who pays for the room and one who uses points or redeems an award.
Because it is a resort property and access to the onsen is unlimited and unregulated, it is irrelevant whether or not a guest uses the facility. The costs the tax is intended to cover are fixed costs, therefore at a hotel with unlimited access to an onsen it is reasonable to charge every guest for the right to use the baths.

I can't imagine anyone objecting to a 150 yen onsen tax.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:12 pm

Yes, you are correct.

Yes, technically you are correct. Guests who do not use the onsen would technically not be liable for the onsen tax.

As stated in the translation above, it is the responsibility of the operator of the onsen (in this case the hotel) to record the number of guests who use the onsen and collect the tax from them. However, in practice, of the many onsen hotels I've stayed at, only one asked me at checkout if I used the onsen, and the reason there was that the onsen was operated as a separate facility open for use by the general public at a fee but complimentary to hotel guests. The hotels just charge the tax to all staying guests, since that is much easier.

I guess you could say that you did not use the onsen and not pay the tax. We ourselves always use the onsen, so it has never been a question for us. I don't think there are many people who refuse to pay the tax because they did not use the onsen, but I certainly have not taken a poll on that question.

For reference, at hotels that have a large bath facility that is not fed by a natural hot spring (such as HR Osaka and Conrad Tokyo), there is no onsen tax. The onsen tax is only for natural hot springs, kind of a preservation tax.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I guess you could say that you did not use the onsen and not pay the tax. We ourselves always use the onsen, so it has never been a question for us. I don't think there are many people who refuse to pay the tax because they did not use the onsen, but I certainly have not taken a poll on that question.
This reminds me of the "public television tax" that Japan residents are obligated to pay. Basically, if you own a television, then you must pay a yearly fee (closer to $150 than 150 yen!) to support public television, even if you never watch it. While many people falsely claim to have no television when the collector comes around, or even just flat out refuse to pay the tax (as it's extremely rare that the government goes through the trouble to take legal action to collect), it is "mandatory" nonetheless.

I suppose that, in theory, you could try and pay 150 yen less than what is stated on your folio (using cash to do so) and claim that the tax does not apply because you never used the onsen facilities, but most people would not put themselves through such an embarrassing ordeal to save a rice ball's worth of money.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:56 pm

I'm sure that if anyone refuses to pay the onsen tax at HR Hakone (or any other upscale onsen hotel), the hotel will first try to explain the tax and then waive it with continued refusal rather than press the issue. I have no idea if the hotel would then pay the tax on behalf of the guest or simply not count the guest as having used the onsen.

I strongly suspect that it is a "toothless" tax, meaning that there is authorization to collect it, but no provision for penalty for guests who refuse to pay (cf Japan's laws banning smoking in restaurants). On the other hand, I'm sure there are provisions for punishing facilities who collect the tax but do not properly submit it.

BTW, the tax is clearly indicated as an additional charge on the "rate details" and reservation pages for the HR Hakone.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Understood and many thanks to:
OsakaWino, MikeFromTokyo, hailstorm and jimmychang for your comments and explanation.
Until today I first thought it was an accommodation tax and since no other Hyatts in Japan or anywhere else for that matter ever asked me to pay a tax when I use points, I found it strange that's all.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
3-night or 4-night?

Another quick question: will a 3-night stay be just right? Will a 4-night stay be too long? Thx.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two nights should be plenty for Hakone. Three if you really, really want to see every little mom & pop attraction there is.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:13 pm

We stayed 3 nights, but we're VERY slow tourists. 2 nights is plenty for seeing the sights; if you want to get spa treatments (which I think are very overpriced at the HR Hakone unless there is a special offers) or spend a lot of time relaxing at the hotel, you might stay 3 nights.

If you have 4 nights to spend in the area, I would recommend 2 nights at HR Hakone and 2 nights at Hilton Odawara, which is a very different experience.

If HR Hakone is still running their shuttle from Odawara Station, the 2 are very easy to combine, and even if you have to take the train, it is still not that inconvenient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.