Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Oformula
I have no status with Hyatt, and have a junior suite booked with the FHR rate. Anyone know if it's eligible for the complimentary upgrade?
FHR rates always include a complimentary upgrade "based on availability."
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Oformula
I have no status with Hyatt, and have a junior suite booked with the FHR rate. Anyone know if it's eligible for the complimentary upgrade?
Ask AmEx PTS/CTS.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LAXGUY
FHR rates always include a complimentary upgrade "based on availability."
Not always. Most hotels have a specified maximum category that they will give as a FHR upgrade. It's generally not the case that you get the Presidential Suite if it's available even if you've booked the Vice Presidential Suite at the FHR rate.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:20 pm

The FHR rate only bumps the "Junior Suite" to a "City View Junior Suite." The hotel is in the middle of a city, every view is a city view. Save your cash and book a basic room at the FHR rate.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold
Smile Park Hyatt Washington DC Video Review

I recently stayed at the Park Hyatt Washington DC hotel over two different weekends. Once in an Executive Suite, and once in a Park Suite.

I did a little video review of the Hotel, Executive Suite, and Park Suite — if you’d like to see the hotel and rooms in a video, check it out here:

The Executive Suite was an upgrade from a stay that I used a “Diamond Suite Upgrade” on a regular room booking. The Park Suite was an upgrade from a standard room booking that I didn’t use an upgrade certificate on.

The Park Hyatt Washington DC is conveniently located near Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, and Dupont Circle. It’s about a 10 minute walk to each of those neighborhoods in different directions. If you’re looking for a supermarket, there’s a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe’s near the Foggy Bottom Metro station.

The hotel is very understated — just a tiny sign on the corner of 24th and M that says “Park Hyatt Washington DC” — it’s very easy to miss. All parking is valet parking at a small valet spot right in front of the lobby. The valets were always cordial, polite, and quick.

Most of the ground floor of the hotel is taken up by the hotel’s excellent restaurant, the “Blue Duck Tavern.” When I checked in, at the front desk they told me that their restaurant is “one of the city’s best.” I thought to myself “yeah right!” But after I ate at the Blue Duck Tavern I believed them! Then I checked Yelp and saw that the Blue Duck Tavern is truly one of DC’s top 10 restaurants. If you’re staying here, you really need to have a meal, or two, or three at the restaurant!

Diamond members are offered free breakfast in their room, or at the restaurant. If you’re there for the weekend, definitely try to get breakfast in the restaurant as they also have some excellent brunch items on their menu like crab cakes and bone marrow. I also really enjoyed the “fresh squeezed orange juice” in the morning as well. They say that the Diamond breakfast is a $32 breakfast credit per person — but we ordered more like $40-50 of breakfast food each day and noting ever appeared in our room bill. Not even the tip.

The fitness center is small, but very nice, with windows looking out to 24th street. There’s a small indoor swimming pool and a hot tub/jacuzzi.

Now on to the rooms:

The executive suite was amazing — over 1,000 square feet, with a huge sofa, dining room table, and two bathrooms. The main bathroom (the same in both rooms) was really quite nice with a huge walk in shower with rain head and soaking tub.

The park suite, around 600 square feet, was also really nice. While still quite not but not as “amazing” as the executive suite — it had a neat moon shaped desk as a main feature of the living room portion of the room.

Both rooms were excellent for sleeping. Quiet, cool, and comfy beds.

Bottled water was complimentary — room service will bring up as many bottles of water as you’d like.

Overall I really enjoyed staying at the Park Hyatt Washington DC and would highly recommend it for folks looking for a nice luxury hotel in Washington DC.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
This may be a very silly question but:

If I wanted to book a 3-night stay here (Diamond member) in a park suite and wanted to request that the king bed be replaced with two twins (even if pushed together) do you think they would be able to accommodate? The only reason I ask is because I am staying at a Grand Hyatt right now and the room next to me was a suite and they were putting two double beds in and removing the king.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Any experience of contacting the hotel by email? I emailed them yesterday, but no reply yet.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:11 am

Just had one of the craziest experiences recently at this hotel as a Hyatt diamond member where this property really went above and beyond in service.

I had a room booked on straight points (20k) at this hotel and on checkin requested if any kind of upgrade can be possible on the base room. Was told already have been upgraded prior to arrival to the junior king suite and at that point I requested if the regular Park suite can be had (since have had this upgrade numerous times without a DSU before). The receptionist checked on the system and said can give one but it isnt ready yet so can wait 10-15 min for it to be ready. Receptionist then sat us down in the bar with a voucher for two complimentary cocktails while we waited.

While we sat and were finishing our drinks, the receptionist came back and apologized saying the moment the suite room opened up, someone else who was checking in was given it within seconds before this receptionist was able to access the room for giving to us, so we would have to stay in the junior suite that was already assigned. Now the biggie, in addition to that also said we can have our dinner in their restaurant, the Blue Duck tavern (without specifying any limit) and any charges for the dinner would be waived on checkout! Am still in disbelief about this as completely unexpected (its now respectfully my favorite Park Hyatt out of many have stayed in around the world)

We did try keep the dinner bill to a "reasonable" level considering the kind of place it is (2 salads, 2 entrees, a shared dessert, and 2 cocktails) but given "no limit" was mentioned I dont think need explain anymore!
Old May 2, 2016, 8:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by njdealguy
Just had one of the craziest experiences recently at this hotel as a Hyatt diamond member where this property really went above and beyond in service.

I had a room booked on straight points (20k) at this hotel and on checkin requested if any kind of upgrade can be possible on the base room. Was told already have been upgraded prior to arrival to the junior king suite and at that point I requested if the regular Park suite can be had (since have had this upgrade numerous times without a DSU before). The receptionist checked on the system and said can give one but it isnt ready yet so can wait 10-15 min for it to be ready. Receptionist then sat us down in the bar with a voucher for two complimentary cocktails while we waited.

While we sat and were finishing our drinks, the receptionist came back and apologized saying the moment the suite room opened up, someone else who was checking in was given it within seconds before this receptionist was able to access the room for giving to us, so we would have to stay in the junior suite that was already assigned. Now the biggie, in addition to that also said we can have our dinner in their restaurant, the Blue Duck tavern (without specifying any limit) and any charges for the dinner would be waived on checkout! Am still in disbelief about this as completely unexpected (its now respectfully my favorite Park Hyatt out of many have stayed in around the world)

We did try keep the dinner bill to a "reasonable" level considering the kind of place it is (2 salads, 2 entrees, a shared dessert, and 2 cocktails) but given "no limit" was mentioned I dont think need explain anymore!
Bizarre experience but that definitely sounds like a great service recovery. I would gladly swap a park suite for a meal at the Blue Duck... did you already have a reservation or did they squeeze you in... I've found it hit or miss to actually be able to get into there, even with the PH's help....

FDW
Old May 2, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Bizarre experience but that definitely sounds like a great service recovery. I would gladly swap a park suite for a meal at the Blue Duck... did you already have a reservation or did they squeeze you in... I've found it hit or miss to actually be able to get into there, even with the PH's help....

FDW
Did not have a reservation and it was full on a weekend, but was able to sit in the bar/lounge area and order from the same menu, which we were completely fine with
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM
The service at Blue Duck Tavern was really impressive - I recommend it highly.

Nice to have a Trader Joe's nearby as well, though the checkout line is the longest I've ever seen in a supermarket anywhere - I'm guessing over 100 deep when I was there.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:27 am

Hello. I have an interesting question:
I can book this hotel for an upcoming 3 night stay.
Base rate (Hyatt GP member rate) is 240$ per night.
The Junior Suite is 310$ per night.
The Park Suite is much more expensive.

I can do the 240$ plus DSU and get in to Park Suite.

However, I am not quite sure how the Junior suite is...its a 60$ differential in cost per day (plus taxes)...and it sounds like a "suite"; and that means I wont have to use a DSU.

Appreciate your thoughts on this dilemma!
Basically, I am willing to spend 60 per night extra for the junior suite. But, dont know if it is worth it...compared to using a DSU for the park suite.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:57 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Hello. I have an interesting question:
I can book this hotel for an upcoming 3 night stay.
Base rate (Hyatt GP member rate) is 240$ per night.
The Junior Suite is 310$ per night.
The Park Suite is much more expensive.

I can do the 240$ plus DSU and get in to Park Suite.

However, I am not quite sure how the Junior suite is...its a 60$ differential in cost per day (plus taxes)...and it sounds like a "suite"; and that means I wont have to use a DSU.

Appreciate your thoughts on this dilemma!
Basically, I am willing to spend 60 per night extra for the junior suite. But, dont know if it is worth it...compared to using a DSU for the park suite.
Since you are Diamond - usually they'll give out the Junior Suite as an upgrade without usage of DSU - since they have so many of this type. FWIW, the Junior Suite has a partition between the "living roon" and bedroom but there is no door that will separate the space into really 2 rooms.

Of course each stay is different with occupancy - if its really sold out, they may not be able to upgrade you to the Junior Suite.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
Since you are Diamond - usually they'll give out the Junior Suite as an upgrade without usage of DSU - since they have so many of this type. FWIW, the Junior Suite has a partition between the "living roon" and bedroom but there is no door that will separate the space into really 2 rooms.

Of course each stay is different with occupancy - if its really sold out, they may not be able to upgrade you to the Junior Suite.
OK thanks!
Sounds like the junior suite may pretty much be like a regular suite..but without a physical door(s) separating the areas.

I will definitely apply the DSU to make sure we have "a" suite.

After taxes, etc...booking the Junior suite outright leads to a price difference of nearly 250$. I am leaning towards booking the room with DSU and using the 250 for other expenses (after consulting with the higher authority at hme.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:35 pm

I think the junior suite is perfectly fine if you only have a one or 2 people. In my eyes, other than an additional half bath room and more space in the bedroom the Park Suite is not a significant upgrade over the junior. In fact, I much prefer the junior's bathroom over the Park Suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.