Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:40 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Beerman92
I stay at this hotel a fair amount. My experiences/answers are below. Despite others' comments on the lobby I rather like it. It smells nice and is always very cool which is very welcome during the awful summer days of heat and humidity in NYC.
Thanks for the informative post!

I will be staying here in a few days to do some interviews at law firms...can you tell me what benefits I can expect from this property as a Plat (not Diamond)?

Does Internet cost extra? Is it true that there are no flat screen TVs?

How full has the hotel been in your experience? I am wondering if they will entertain a request for a late check-out (~3:30pm?) on my last day given that I will be staying for 4 nights.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:00 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Thanks for the informative post!

I will be staying here in a few days to do some interviews at law firms...can you tell me what benefits I can expect from this property as a Plat (not Diamond)?

Does Internet cost extra? Is it true that there are no flat screen TVs?

How full has the hotel been in your experience? I am wondering if they will entertain a request for a late check-out (~3:30pm?) on my last day given that I will be staying for 4 nights.
I dislike the perfumes/scents/stink used in the lobby or most lobbies.
To each their own
Hotels pay tens of thousands for that stuff to pump into the air and it is not certain if it is even safe or has the potential to be cancer causing. They then pass those costs on to you in reduced amenities and services to cut costs.
It hasn’t been proven that it is the marketing gold for repeat business which is why it was introduced in the first place.
Baking cinnamon rolls in the lobby would be 100 times more effective and at least they could profit directly!
Internet is extra at this property and there are regular TVs in the room with no mini bars or refrigerators.

As a Diamond when there was management change over a year ago my upgrade factor declined 75% to poorer quality rooms. I use to have an excellent track record at this hotel.

Late check out has been difficult with this hotel in the past and I find Hyatt in general to have amongst the worst cooperation of any of the major hotel chains and programs with regard to late check out. One of the reasons I became became a huge fan of Priority Club/Royal Ambassador more recently. I now come and go as I please a top tier member. At 8:00 AM I can check in to any room until a suite becomes available.I can leave my suite or room anytime up till 4 PM.

Part of the problem is the Gold Passport program doesn’t have a late checkout guarantee or promise of any kind the way Starwood and others do. It’s a very grey area in the Gold Passport program and gives the hotels the clear upper hand
I have had late out check outs at this hotel with negotiation. Many times they simply state everyone out by 12:00 or 1:00 PM no exceptions. You may have to persist or you may get lucky depending upon occupancy. Be warned when I was granted the extension on one such occasion I had a furious housekeeper who cursed in the hallway and hovered around my door until I left. She blocked the doorway with her cart the entire timeI think she just wanted to go home.
Like other pathetic service situations in the past I simply let it go as I felt sorry for her.
It’s always interesting what experiences one has when they are on the road!
Rarely a dull moment
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:48 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by alect
Thanks for the info. ^
A mini-report from my stay:
  • arrived late (approx 1am) due to delay at JFK - none of the check-in kiosks could be usedd (all directed you to see desk agent) - I had to wait since only one checkin agent and alrady a guest there - once checking in all went fine until she handed me the key - I saw 18xx on it and said "this isn't the RC floor is it?" - she looked at me blankly and said for the RC floor it would be an extra $100. I said "But I am a Diamond" (that late at night the intricacies of polite speech eluded me) - she hit some keys and apologised and said that my status had not come through on the reservation (not sure how that could be since I made the reservation after my status was updated and I could see it online). Anyway she quickly found me an RC floor room and gave me a new key
  • the room - 3167 - good size, not large (not as large as my room at the Waldorf Astoria was last time I stayed). Pretty typical renovated NYC hotel room - made to look new/modern but obviously not and it comes through. Main complaint is that the bathroom is tiny - probably the smallest of any hotel I have stayed in in NYC
  • the sink in the bathroom is small, and awakwardly placed in the corner. Not only thayt but right above the fawcet some bright spark decided to hang a glass and metal shelf. One night bending down over the sink, I banged my forehead on that shelf and to this day still have a scab there.
  • RC - breakfast was OK, but I would not say great. Continental breakfast with hard boiled eggs. for some reason there were never enough plates, and never any cereal plates. I only made it to a couple of evening sessions - no alcohol (I guess I am spoilt by overseas lounges at HH) and one evening I went it to get a snack as I got hungry waiting for a friend to call about dinner - by 7.30 all the food is packed up and gone - somewhat useless lounge hours especially in a city like NYC where people go out later.
  • Fitness Room - ^^ - lots of cardio equipment, and some free and machine weights. never overly busy.
  • One of the better things I have to give kudos to GHNYC for is the checkout - plenty of options on how to do it (voicemail, TV, kiosk, desk) and the bill itself not only lists the charges but also provides direct contacts for feedback and for lost property. One would think such a small thing, but I found it very thoughtful and useful - is this normal Hyatt procedure?
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
RC - breakfast was OK, but I would not say great. Continental breakfast with hard boiled eggs. for some reason there were never enough plates, and never any cereal plates. I only made it to a couple of evening sessions - no alcohol (I guess I am spoilt by overseas lounges at HH) and one evening I went it to get a snack as I got hungry waiting for a friend to call about dinner - by 7.30 all the food is packed up and gone - somewhat useless lounge hours especially in a city like NYC where people go out later.
Be glad you did not discover the alcohol. It is by request and you will be asked to sign a reciept for the number of drinks you order. We had a couple of glasses of wine both nights and was very surprised when they came up to $50 on the bill. $12 each glass plus taxes. Granted $12 at a NYC lobby bar or trendy club is expected however in a RC? I inquired at check out about how it seemed high for a RC and I just got the typical "this is NYC" bitterness from someone probably struggling to live there. I was told that management has decided not to post the drink prices, even on the bill you sign, probably because it leads to more consumption. Granted there was a lot of British tourists in the hotel so $12 is a mere 6 GBP which they would probably not even blink at.

Last edited by westcoastman; Oct 25, 2007 at 10:58 am
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:20 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by westcoastman
Be glad you did not discover the alcohol. It is by request and you will be asked to sign a reciept for the number of drinks you order. We had a couple of glasses of wine both nights and was very surprised when they came up to $50 on the bill. $12 each glass plus taxes. Granted $12 at a NYC lobby bar or trendy club is expected however in a RC? I inquired at check out about how it seemed high for a RC and I just got the typical "this is NYC" bitterness from someone probably struggling to live there. I was told that management has decided not to post the drink prices, even on the bill you sign, probably because it leads to more consumption. Granted there was a lot of British tourists in the hotel so $12 is a mere 6 GBP which they would probably not even blink at.
That's really bad practice!!!!
Old Oct 25, 2007, 8:37 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Wow - unbelievable. I would assume drinks in a lounge are free. If you're going to charge then at least make that abundantly clear including prices

Is this truly a general distinction between US and overseases lounges? I know it seems to be with Hilton.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:08 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Today, Danica Patrick was there as a "Celebrity Guest Concierge."

http://weblogs.cw11.com/news/local/morningnews/blogs/
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I only made it to a couple of evening sessions - no alcohol (I guess I am spoilt by overseas lounges at HH) and one evening I went it to get a snack as I got hungry waiting for a friend to call about dinner - by 7.30 all the food is packed up and gone - somewhat useless lounge hours especially in a city like NYC where people go out later.
That's very typical in the US and thus the lounge access is really useless for me. I am never back in the hotel that early.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by holtju2
That's very typical in the US and thus the lounge access is really useless for me. I am never back in the hotel that early.
Yes, almost ubiquitous in the US. I personally like the "honor" system whereby you pay only for what you tell them that you consumed. So, after a few relaxing adult beverages I often lose count .

It is truly a bad practice!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:23 pm

Wow - unbelievable. I would assume drinks in a lounge are free. If you're going to charge then at least make that abundantly clear including prices
Someone feel free to test it next time they are there. Simply ask how much a glass of wine is and see if they tell you. I think it ranges from $9 to $12 per glass or more (they pour it) depending on which wine.
I specifically talked to the RC staffperson and asked why they did not post the wine prices and he said he had suggested it but management preferred not to post the prices - not even on the bill you sign for the number of drinks. Granted to most traveling to NYC $12 is nothing but I have become spoiled by the $5 & $6 glasses of wine at most RC's in the U.S.
I don't even ask anymore because I felt burned out of $50. But that's what hotels are all about right? (i.e. minibars, telephone charges, room service charges, etc.)
Here is a what I do now:
As you exit the Hyatt make a right until you reach the entrance Grand Central Station. Go into the terminal all the way down until you are about to hit track 17 and make a hard right. You will see Grande Harvest Wines. They have many excellent inexpensive bottles of wine from around the world - many for around $10 - $15 or even less. They will open it for you and replace the cork back in for you as well. Be sure to get a punch card too. They will give you plastic cups or can get a glass from the hotel. Across from them is a fruit smoothie stand. They sell ice cold beer by the can. They have a giant can of Japanese beer (Kirin or something) that is great, very cold and a much better value than the hotel. They will even put it in a little paper bag for you.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:54 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
management preferred not to post the prices - not even on the bill you sign for the number of drinks.
That's awful. I'm sure the guests would all "prefer" not to pay for the wine. But in the real world, in business, there are rules, and there are of professional conduct that we all must follow. If you're charging someone money for something you seem to be offering for free, you really need to tell them that you're charging them. And how much.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
We had a couple of glasses of wine both nights and was very surprised when they came up to $50 on the bill. $12 each glass plus taxes.
It appears you are Diamond so I suggest selecting the wine as your checkin amenity. Hyatt is the only hotel programs which actually gives you a bottle of wine for being a Diamond or equivalent. I don't drink so I usually select points but my colleague does and he always get the bottle for the night.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
That's awful. I'm sure the guests would all "prefer" not to pay for the wine. But in the real world, in business, there are rules, and there are of professional conduct that we all must follow. If you're charging someone money for something you seem to be offering for free, you really need to tell them that you're charging them. And how much.
Most people know that there is a charge they just don't know how much unless they ask but I bet most assume $6 or so. Someone should ask when they go again since the last time I went I just avoided ordering wine altogether yet I saw many ordering and reordering glasses of wine. Someone should also casually ask why they don't list the prices. I would be interested in what they say this time.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:05 am

Programs: Hyatt: Plat, HH: Dia, Spg: Au, VS: Red, Accor: Plat, BAEC: Ag, Nordic Choice: Au
As you exit the Hyatt make a right until you reach the entrance Grand Central Station. Go into the terminal all the way down until you are about to hit track 17 and make a hard right. You will see Grande Harvest Wines. They have many excellent inexpensive bottles of wine from around the world - many for around $10 - $15 or even less. They will open it for you and replace the cork back in for you as well. Be sure to get a punch card too. They will give you plastic cups or can get a glass from the hotel.
We stayed back in December, and can confirm this; drinks in RC outrageously priced and no prior warning, just a "1" marked on a receipt for each drink ordered. Like westcoastman though, I found a similar wine shop just past the bridge outside, less than 5 minutes walk even with adverse crossing lights. Excellent selection of wines from reasonably priced to true classics, very pleasant staff there, most helpful - which is more than I can say for all but one of the RC concierges.

I discovered the wine shop after I asked for a bottle of wine at the bar to take up to the room. I was told this was not allowed, I would have to order it via room service (and pay the additional service charges etc. no doubt). Crazy.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Regency Club Massacre

Just found out the entire Regency Club desk personnel (and the folks who worked at the concierge desk in the lobby) were replaced. Does anyone know what happened or where they went? I know Ebony has been there at least 5 years. And Karl was there pretty long also. What a shame.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Apr 2, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.