FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:23 pm
westcoastman

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by alect
Wow - unbelievable. I would assume drinks in a lounge are free. If you're going to charge then at least make that abundantly clear including prices
Someone feel free to test it next time they are there. Simply ask how much a glass of wine is and see if they tell you. I think it ranges from $9 to $12 per glass or more (they pour it) depending on which wine.
I specifically talked to the RC staffperson and asked why they did not post the wine prices and he said he had suggested it but management preferred not to post the prices - not even on the bill you sign for the number of drinks. Granted to most traveling to NYC $12 is nothing but I have become spoiled by the $5 & $6 glasses of wine at most RC's in the U.S.
I don't even ask anymore because I felt burned out of $50. But that's what hotels are all about right? (i.e. minibars, telephone charges, room service charges, etc.)
Here is a what I do now:
As you exit the Hyatt make a right until you reach the entrance Grand Central Station. Go into the terminal all the way down until you are about to hit track 17 and make a hard right. You will see Grande Harvest Wines. They have many excellent inexpensive bottles of wine from around the world - many for around $10 - $15 or even less. They will open it for you and replace the cork back in for you as well. Be sure to get a punch card too. They will give you plastic cups or can get a glass from the hotel. Across from them is a fruit smoothie stand. They sell ice cold beer by the can. They have a giant can of Japanese beer (Kirin or something) that is great, very cold and a much better value than the hotel. They will even put it in a little paper bag for you.